PDA

View Full Version : John Norum's Gear

loudncrunchy
March 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
One of my favorite things from Europe's latest 2DVD release is the 2nd DVD which contains a segment on band equipment. On it, all of the members, sans JT, show and talk about their on-stage equipment. John Norum is profiled first on this segment. Here is his equipment for the Start From the Dark Tour:

Guitars:

-1978 Les Paul. Maple Neck w/Seymour Duncan Pickups. This is his main backup guitar.
-1957 Custom Shop. All Mahagony w/EMG Active Pickups. This is his main guitar.
-1974 Les Paul. 3 piece Mahagony neck. Uses this guitar for about 7 songs in the set that require D-drop tuning.
-1980 Les Paul. This guitar is only used for two songs. It's super-light (2Kg). Tuning is real low. E string to B, A string to F.

Amps:

-2 Marshall JCM 800 50 watts. The only modification is changing of tubes to KT-88's instead of EL-34's.
-2 Marshall Cabinets w/vintage 30 speakers run thru a stereo chorus.
-Shure 57 mikes.

Effects:

-onstage chord tuner
-SD Roland 3000 Digital Delay
-SD Roland 2000 Digital Delay (used as backup)
-boost on/off pedal
-chorus ensemble
-delay on/off switch
-Jim Dunlop Cry-Baby Pedal

Well, that's it for his gear. Feel free to give you input if you've used any of the above stuff.

Robert
March 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hey, cool to see John doesn't use so many gadgets and thangs! I bet he uses older Marshalls from the 70s though?

loudncrunchy
March 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM
On the new DVD, John didn't indicate whether the Marshalls were vintage or not. Either way, they sound absolutely GREAT!!

Of course, don't mention John Norum or Europe to Nelskie. He absolutely cannot stand them! :confused:

Oh well, I guess I better get back into Yngwie like he suggested.

Nelskie
March 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hey L & C! I don't believe I said anything about not liking John Norum's guitar playing, or Europe in general. While all are fine musicians, and their recent album shows a noticeable re-tooling of their sound, they're still . . . well . . . Europe. As well, John Norum's playing style and sound do not hold my interest as a Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, or Eric Clapton would. Quite simply, it's what I prefer.

Also - I don't remember suggesting that you listen to more Yngwie. I merely pointed out what I felt to be a rather limited evaluation of his talent on your part. Subjectively speaking, Yngwie is a grammy-nominated guitarist, and in my personal opinion, a player of the highest caliber.

Ultimately, you have the choice to carry your banner for whatever band, guitarst, or artist you like, and if it's for Europe, or whoever, so be it. Really, don't take it so personally.

Spudman
March 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I can't believe there is even a discussion going on about Swedish guitarists. It warms my heart so much to know that other people are finally waking up to just how talented those Swedes are.

Man oh Man - John Norum, Roine Stolt, Yingwie, JJ Marsh, Krister Jonsson, who else is there?

Katastrophe
March 27th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Robert, the friendly forum boss, and THE SuperSwede, to name two more!

loudncrunchy
March 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Don't forget Kee Marcello!

Robert
March 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Kee Marcello comes from the same town as me ....

SuperSwede
March 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Robert, speaking of Umeå/Norrland.. do you have a good recipe for Palt?

Robert
March 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Sure I do! Palt rules!

Tone2TheBone
March 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
........ok I'll fall for it...what's Palt?

Robert
March 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Palt is the best food there is! There is of course an official entry in the Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palt

Spudman
March 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Sounds like something you give your cat so they cough up hairballs.

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Palt is the best food there is! There is of course an official entry in the Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palt
Gee, I thought lutefisk (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Lutefisk) was the best food there is! :eek:

tot_Ou_tard
March 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Sure I do! Palt rules!
OK cough up!

...er, I mean the recipe not the hairballs.

marnold
March 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Gee, I thought lutefisk (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Lutefisk) was the best food there is! :eek:
I married someone who is partially Norwegian. Lutefisk should have been banned by the Geneva Convention. Leave it to them to make a bland food even more bland. "Hey, Ole! I've got an idea! Why don't we make our cod translucent, ya der hey?"

SuperSwede
March 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Robert, the best thing with Palt© is the "paltkoma" that happens after you consumed too much. :D
I havent made it myself yet, so I would really love to have your favourite recipe.

Marnold, actually its not Cod. Lutfisk (or lutefisk in norwegian) is made of Långa ( I dont know the english name for that fish). Its really good :)

SuperSwede
May 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Still waiting for that fine Palt recipe Robert!