PDA

View Full Version : musical appreciation.

pie_man_25
November 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Is it just me, or as you continue to explore the guitar, or any instrument for that matter, that your appreciation for music grows?

example: I used to hate basically anything other than slipknot and linkin park(a couple of newer bands you may or may not have heard of) then, of course, having played drums for a while, I started listening to the who and keith moon's dynamic style of drumming, after which I was mesmerised by pete's guitar lines, and I strted playing guitar, which atracted me to play bass and listen to rush, and blues and earlier metal came in, at which point I couldn't stand the classic jazz styles, I learned a short django reinhardt lick, and now I'm listening to the quintet of the hot club of france, for some inspiration on the jazz song I am now writing for my band.

has anybody else noticed this in the time they've played guitar/other instruments?

just strum
November 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Most definitely. I listen to country and I never would before. I listen to jazz and before playing guitar my interest was very minimal.

I can't rattle off artist in these areas of music, but I don't tune it out as I did in the past. I find myself listening very closely to the guitar and trying to determine what exactly they are doing.

pes_laul
November 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
exactly I my favorite bands before I played guitar consisted Of system of a down and nirvana now I'm into bob dylan the church the foofighters and the who

grungeiceman
November 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
When I first started playing, I was Into grunge, thats it basicly, now im one of the biggest blues fans you'll ever meet. SRV changed everything for me and thank god for that.

Spudman
November 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
If you aren't exploring you aren't growing.
It's like food too. Once you get a good burrito it can lead you into fajitas and enchiladas. You just keep developing your tastes. Then from sampling all those flavors your own style will be born.

R_of_G
November 25th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I've mentioned in some other threads that as I see it, a huge developmental tool for my playing music is my listening to music. Developing my ears to break down and analyze music of all different stlyes to find out what does and doesn't appeal to me helps me develop my own stlye when I pick up my instrument. ALL music has something to teach you [positive or negative], and the only way to learn those lessons is to listen to as much of it as you can.

jpfeifer
November 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Absolutely!
I think that you have a bigger appreciation for various styles of music as you try to learn something from each one. I started out as a basic rock/blues player but my first guitar teacher got me into Jazz.

I also find that it really helps to go out and see live music to get into different styles of music. Many times I appreciate music live that I wouldn't normally listen to on my own.

-- Jim

Childbride
November 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
absolutely.

the piano helped me appreciate classical.

the trombone helped me appreciate several different genres, especially jazz.

and, throw five years of live music in austin, texas back when SRV and his brother were still kickin' it... and there was a different band on every corner...

and now i pick up guitar for the first time, and start going to Pearl, Tx for jam sessions, i'm learning old country and bluegrass.

life is a garden. dig it! ;)

every day that i play, i feel/experience something new. :D :D

tot_Ou_tard
November 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Music is life.

It's waaAaAAaayy too boring to denigrate something so vital.

If you hate a particular type of music...most likely *you* are blind.

Open your ears & heart & engage.

The key defining (& limiting) charactersitic of a person tends to be what they hate much more than what they love.

One is limbed by one's dislikes.

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Is it just me, or as you continue to explore the guitar, or any instrument for that matter, that your appreciation for music grows?

example: I used to hate basically anything other than slipknot and linkin park(a couple of newer bands you may or may not have heard of) then, of course, having played drums for a while, I started listening to the who and keith moon's dynamic style of drumming, after which I was mesmerised by pete's guitar lines, and I strted playing guitar, which atracted me to play bass and listen to rush, and blues and earlier metal came in, at which point I couldn't stand the classic jazz styles, I learned a short django reinhardt lick, and now I'm listening to the quintet of the hot club of france, for some inspiration on the jazz song I am now writing for my band.

has anybody else noticed this in the time they've played guitar/other instruments?

Totally! I listen to more types of music, and listen to music differently. Currently, I listen quite a bit to the guitar parts, but also to melody lines played by other instruments, imagining what the part would sound like or how it would be played as a guitar solo. Especially Sax, clarinet, harmonica type parts. Piano too.

warren0728
November 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
i've even discovered that i now like some of the music my dad liked! johnny cash, roy clarke, boots randolph and such!

Even for music i don't necessarily enjoying listening to....i have gained respect for those playing it!

ww