PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bonamassa Review

TS808
November 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM
I saw Joe Bonamassa tonight (front row seats) and let me first preface this by saying, I've seen SRV, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, and Joe Satriani all live (just to name a few).

Joe Bonamassa kicks all their asses!!! I've NEVER seen a guy play that well. I've seen some criticize Joe for his song writing, but I have to say, he sounds phenomenal live. Whoever does the mixing/production on his albums is totally selling him short. His sound live is so much fuller, thicker, and dynamic. Whether he was playing acoustic or electric, the guy was just magic and mesmerizing. I've never seen a crowd react like that either to a guitarist.

Just phenomenal. I'm in total awe. I'm blown away and ready to give up guitar playing after seeing Joe Bonamassa tonight. I think I'll try bongo drums or something :D

oldguy
November 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Nah, you get on with your practicing, try to get a bit more of your own mojo going, then share it with others, just like the man did for you tonight.:beer:

TS808
November 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Nah, you get on with your practicing, try to get a bit more of your own mojo going, then share it with others, just like the man did for you tonight.:beer:

I was joking about trashing the guitar, but when you see a guy like Joe Bonamassa, it makes you think...I don't think you can learn to play that well, no matter how much practice. I think some people are born with a gift, and he certainly has that gift.

duhvoodooman
November 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
....when you see a guy like Joe Bonamassa, it makes you think...I don't think you can learn to play that well, no matter how much practice. I think some people are born with a gift, and he certainly has that gift.
No doubt. There's practice & discipline and there's God-given world-class talent. Joe and a lucky few have both. I'm dying to see the guy live, since I've enjoyed his recordings immensely, as well as his various YouTube vids. And the fact that he hails from Utica NY, about 90 miles due west of here, makes him almost a "hometown boy". You go, Smokin' Joe! :Dude:

TS808
November 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
No doubt. There's practice & discipline and there's God-given world-class talent. Joe and a lucky few have both. I'm dying to see the guy live, since I've enjoyed his recordings immensely, as well as his various YouTube vids. And the fact that he hails from Utica NY, about 90 miles due west of here, makes him almost a "hometown boy". You go, Smokin' Joe! :Dude:
If you get the chance to see him, don't pass it up. I'm still awestruck :Dude:

just strum
November 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
If you get the chance to see him, don't pass it up. I'm still awestruck :Dude:

Admittedly I had never heard of him until I joined the forum, but watching the videos and reading your comments have me pumped up to see one of his shows, unfortunately no Ohio dates.

But for anyone else that might be interested here is the tour schedule

http://www.jbonamassa.com/joe_bonamassa_tour_information.htm

I guess I have to go purchase some CD - recommendations welcome.

marnold
November 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I can't do the comparing that TS808 did, but as I posted elsewhere, I thoroughly enjoyed his show earlier this month. Live he has an energy that I don't think his studio albums have really captured.

oldguy
November 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
I was joking about trashing the guitar, but when you see a guy like Joe Bonamassa, it makes you think...I don't think you can learn to play that well, no matter how much practice. I think some people are born with a gift, and he certainly has that gift.

Absolutely, no doubt. He has used it well, and I'm sure lots of practice also went into honing that talent. Your point is well taken, some individuals are given a talent, or gift, and run with it. I'm glad you got to see him live. I kinda figured you weren't serious about the guitar thing. I keep practicing, I know I'll never be a Joe Bonamassa, hey, I just want to be an individual, me.:rotflmao:

Lev
November 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM
Admittedly I had never heard of him until I joined the forum, but watching the videos and reading your comments have me pumped up to see one of his shows, unfortunately no Ohio dates.

But for anyone else that might be interested here is the tour schedule

http://www.jbonamassa.com/joe_bonamassa_tour_information.htm

I guess I have to go purchase some CD - recommendations welcome.

what a bummer - 15 UK dates and none in Ireland!! No one comes to Ireland apart from Barbara friggin Striesand & Celine Friggin Dion :reallymad:

TS808
November 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Absolutely, no doubt. He has used it well, and I'm sure lots of practice also went into honing that talent. Your point is well taken, some individuals are given a talent, or gift, and run with it. I'm glad you got to see him live. I kinda figured you weren't serious about the guitar thing. I keep practicing, I know I'll never be a Joe Bonamassa, hey, I just want to be an individual, me.:rotflmao:

Great point. For me to compare myself to someone like Bonamassa or Satriani is just totally senseless. Guys like that are the exception to the rule so to speak, much like DaVinci or Michaelangelo were to art.

just strum
November 23rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
what a bummer - 15 UK dates and none in Ireland!! No one comes to Ireland apart from Barbara friggin Striesand & Celine Friggin Dion :reallymad:

My wife should move to Ireland, she would be happy with just those two. Throw in Barry Manilow and she would be in heaven.

I'm surprised that there are no stops in Cleveland Ohio - it seems everyone passes through Cleveland. Maybe it would be more correctly stated as "Everyone use to pass through Cleveland.

hubberjub
November 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joe is a great player. I went to see moe. back in 1998 or 1999 for a Halloween show in Utica and decided to kill some time in a music store. It turned out it was Joe's fathers guitar store and there was Joe. He was a real cool down to earth kid. I hadn't heard him play since that Bloodline band he was in. It turned out he was in town to sit in with moe. on a couple of tunes. They have two good players in the band but they must have been afraid to play anymore solos after Joe left the stage. I haven't seen him since then but I can only imagine he's even better now.

Spudman
November 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Wow! Someone actually mentioned Moe on the forum. Times they are a changin.

I've worked with Moe several times. I would have loved to see Joe B. play with them. I found all the members of Moe to be exceptional players so to add Joe B. into the mix would be a real treat. :master: Probably would have been exceptionally entertaining as well.

Those of you that haven't seen Moe owe it to yourselves to catch them in a club sometime. They can get downright silly.