PDA

View Full Version : Chick Corea

Robert
November 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
A master piano player - Chick Corea - is coming to Edmonton tomorrow, and I just got a ticket to the show! I am really looking forward to this.

Here's a clip where Chick plays one of my favorite tunes, which also happens to be the inspiration for the name of my personal website! :)

9NeIj1NwKvA

In a career that spans more than four decades and many, many recordings Grammy Award winner Corea has led just about every kind of project imaginable from acoustic trios to electric fusion bands like Return To Forever. He helped pioneer the solo piano session and has forged duos with Gary Burton and Bobby McFerrin (and recently with Bela Fleck on a CD called The Enchantment). He's dipped his fingers into traditional jazz, the avant- garde, and maintains a strong passion for Latin sounds, while he's taken his synthesizers on trips into space-based fantasy suites modelled after the fiction of L.Ron Hubbard.

Beyond jazz altogether are his own piano concertos, performed with symphony orchestras, and his occasional forays into Mozart and Beethoven.

"I've never bothered to name what I do, and actually the way I play with so many different musical partners the categories kind of become meaningless. In the sense of context, I really do like variety, like this intimate duet I have going with Bela Fleck. But recently I wrote a second piano concerto and did a European tour with a 30-piece chamber ensemble. I know I'm going to enjoy the new quartet with Eddie and Airto and Hubert."

That's his new Freedom Band, an all-acoustic quartet featuring past collaborators Eddie Gomez on bass and drummer/percussionist Airto Moreira with an old friend but new musical associate flautist Hubert Laws. The band plays its first two dates ever in Edmonton and Calgary this weekend, though it was actually inspired by a trio concert Corea did last year with Gomez and Moreira.

As it turns the "Freedom Band" is simply Corea's catch-all for new projects he hasn't dubbed otherwise, but their collective talents suggest it will be an occasion for virtuoso music-making.

Growing up around Boston, Mass., Corea started piano at age four and even played drums briefly before making his professional debut with Cab Calloway. Subsequent work with Latin percussionist Mongo Santamaria left a deeper impression, as did various other Latin bandleaders of the day. (Corea's bloodlines are not Spanish, as many assume, but Italian.) When it comes to jazz, Corea credits pianists Bud Powell and Thelonious Monk as inspiring him to search for his own musical identity.

M29
November 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Great opportunity Robert:AOK: I can set and listen to Chick Corea play just the piano all night long and with other instruments...Well...Another all night long. What a master! He always has awesome musicians with him as well.

M29

Spudman
November 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
You are going to love that show. Usually he'll get the audience involved so get your voice warmed up before you go in. Have a great time. I'd love to see this with you but I'm busy that night.:)

Big_Rob
November 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Awesome!!! He's coming down here in Feb of 2008, I think ill be buying some tickets to see this amazing pianist.

warren0728
November 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM
how was the show robert...i caught him at the Blue Note in NYC a couple of years ago and he was awesome. The best thing is he surrounds himself with the finest musicians...just makes his music that much better!

ww

Robert
November 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
It was great. His band was phenomenal, as can be expected. The started out by playing "100 Miles High" and "Waltz For Debbie" - amazing playing. The flute guy was the only one I was not in complete awe of, although he was very good. The other three were beyond very good.

Chick went back and forth between piano and electric piano, even used some synth sounds sometimes. Mostly piano though.

During the encore, Chick played the electric piano and he could not hear himself in the monitor, so he waved the sound engineer dude onto the stage during the song... Chick tried to play the electric piano a couple of times during the song and just waved his hands at the thing, like "screw that thing", and went back to piano.

The band had a lot of fun together, this being their first time ever they all played together. Chick said in the beginning, "enjoy yourselves and do whatever you want. That's what we are gonna do."

They ended with a very inspirational version "Desafinado". Standing ovations of course.

warren0728
November 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
sounds like a great time....i took a couple of minutes of video of chick while i was at the Blue Note but got busted by security (i think when i panned the crowd i gave myself away)....i swore i wasn't taking video :) only stills so the security guy told me to just go back to my seat (i was up near the stage). Still have the video though! :AOK:

ww