PDA

View Full Version : You Squier Tele fanatics were right....

duhvoodooman
March 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
My wife and I had been discussing getting a guitar for my 13 year-old son. He's played the violin at school for a couple of years, and though he does quite well, he just doesn't like it. But he enjoys listening to rock music (the classics, bless his little heart!) and has expressed interest in learning to play guitar. We told him that, if he quits the violin, we expect him to play another instrument instead, and the guitar is what he's said he wants to switch to. All well & good....

Anyway, I went up to our local Guitar Center today to check out the Squier guitars, based upon the many good things I've read here. They had a couple of 51's marked down to $99, so that's where I started. Well, maybe it was the one I played, but I gotta tell you, I just wasn't impressed. And believe me, I really wanted to LOVE that guitar at that price! Didn't feel solid to me, didn't care for the action of the neck, and the tone didn't grab me, either (played through an AD30VT with several different amp models). Sorry for disagreeing with some of you big 51 fans, but, hey, God made us all different and it just didn't do it for me. Maybe these two were marked down for a reason.

So, as I replaced the 51 in its stand with great disappointment, I noticed a Squier Standard Tele (one of the black ones with the rosewood fingerboard & mirror pickguard) on the other side of the display. It was marked $200, which was more than I'd planned to spend on a starter guitar for my son, but I picked it up and took it over to the AD30VT and plugged it in.

INSTANT LOVE!! It had a much more substantial feel, the neck was smooth and fast, and I loved the clean, biting tone. Those of you who have raved about the Squier Teles--now I understand where you were coming from. I asked the sales guy if he could do better than $200, and he offered to give it to me for $166. SOLD!!! So it's out in the car trunk right now. Hope my son likes it as well as his old man does. I have an idea that I'll be playing it at least as much as he does! :D

warren0728
March 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
sounds like you got a great deal voodoo! I'm sure you will....oops.....i mean your son will love it!

ww :D

SuperSwede
March 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I paid a LOT more for mine so congrats on a real nice deal Voodoo! Its a really nice guitar.

Nelskie
March 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Way to go, Voodoo - you did well. The Squier Tele Std. was the spark that lit the Tele fire for me. Even though I'm playing a G & L model nowadays, I will always have a special place in my heart for the 3TS beauty I had. I have no doubt that your son will, too. Even cooler that he gets his first taste of electric guitar on one of the all-time classic models. Looking forward to seeing a post when you and your wife unveil it to him for the first time.

Priceless . . . indeed.

Matt
March 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Tis a shame that you didn't like the '51, they are damn good guitars for the price. The other guitarist in my band has the exact tele you describe, and I have to admit I enjoy playing it. I plan on trying it with my vox tomorrow night to see how it sounds.

Hope your son likes

regards

Matt

duhvoodooman
March 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Tis a shame that you didn't like the '51, they are damn good guitars for the price.
Yeah, it is a shame--I could have saved a few bucks! And I know how much you, Robert, Justaguyin_nc, and others love your 51's. Maybe these two were marked down to $99 for a specific reason, because I just didn't think they held a candle to the Tele. Ah, well....

duhvoodooman
March 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I've been playing the new Squier Tele for about an hour. Sweetness! This is just one amazing axe for what I paid for it. Hmm, maybe my son should stick with the violin for another year or two.....(ONLY KIDDING!!) :D

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Congrats Voodoo!!! I mean Congrats to your son!! I got the Black and chrome also sitting along side the 51 now... Still love the 51 but the Tele is soooo sweet now with Noiseless pickups.. got me wondering when I will play the 51 again..:) or change those to noiseless as well.. naw... it has it's own great tone.. As you said... that's why they make different guitars... for different taste.. Im sure he will be a happy lad with that guitar and a Dad like you jumping in to help him ... good luck with it and look forward to your Duo clips!

warren0728
March 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it is a shame--I could have saved a few bucks!
not really a shame...different guitars for different people...i love my tele and your son is getting a great guitar from what sounds to me like a great dad (which is the most important part in my opinion).

Now that my son has discovered music he and i have something in common we can share. Nothing like sitting on the couch and conner asking if we can watch SRV Live at the El Macambo AGAIN! Then picking out riffs and bass lines and such.

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Warren. That's classic. Now that my daughter is 14 years old we do the same thing. She's picked up some chords and minor riffage and she's constantly asking me how to do stuff. I've really gotten into some of her modern music and she's taking a fancy to my Led Zeppelin. Life is sweet.

ps- SRV at the El Mocambo ROCKS!

r_a_smith3530
March 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Way to go, Voodoo - you did well. The Squier Tele Std. was the spark that lit the Tele fire for me. Even though I'm playing a G & L model nowadays, I will always have a special place in my heart for the 3TS beauty I had. I have no doubt that your son will, too. Even cooler that he gets his first taste of electric guitar on one of the all-time classic models. Looking forward to seeing a post when you and your wife unveil it to him for the first time.

Priceless . . . indeed.

Nelskie, what model G&L do you play? Just curious. Is it a BBE era or Leo era instrument? Have you checked out the Tribute's?

duhvoodooman
March 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM
not really a shame...different guitars for different people.
Yes, absolutely agree. The only "shame" was the fiscal one--the Tele was a little more expensive, but well worth it, IMO!

Now that my son has discovered music he and i have something in common we can share. Nothing like sitting on the couch and conner asking if we can watch SRV Live at the El Macambo AGAIN! Then picking out riffs and bass lines and such.
I'm really hoping for that same kind of thing. My dad and I were very close, and the relationship was really cemented by doing things together when I was a teenager. He wasn't a musician, but we did a lot of fishing and bird-watching together. I miss him every day.

My son has really taken to classic rock. The latest addition to his collection was Aerosmith's Greatest Hits '73 - '88. He also loves the Doobies, Boston, the Stones, Eagles, and several more. But if he ever gets into rap, I'll take the Tele back!

SRV at the El Mocambo ROCKS!
AMEN, BRUDDAH!!! Man, could that skinny little guy play! Never saw anybody who worked any harder at it, pouring both body and soul into his performances. What a legacy he left for a recording career of a mere 7 years!

Nelskie
March 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
r_a_ - I have a G & L ASAT Classic Premium Tele, with the natural finish swamp ash body, and a sweet maple neck. I posted a couple of snaps of it on the forum here:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=1524&postcount=3

As for what "era" it's from, I haven't the slightest clue; I'm still a "newbie" to these guitars. I played a couple of different G & L 's at my buddy's shop before buying mine, and was totally mesmerized by their fantastic tone & playability. I just had to have one!