PDA

View Full Version : Turning Amp On and Off

just strum
November 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Before I purchased my AD30VT and was doing about a month+ of research I read through piles of reviews by both magazines and owners before I made a decision. Just today I recalled reading advice about modeling amps that noted you should not turn the amp on and off if you are going to leave it sitting for just an hour or so. The advise was to leave it on rather than turn it on and off a couple times a day.

Does anyone have more information or thought regarding the caution the article noted?

Spudman
November 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Turn it off. That way you won't waste electricity. Turning the amph on and off is how they are designed to be used. Sort of like leaving your car running instead of turning it off using more gas to start it up than if you just left it running. Turn it OFF. It's a myth.

just strum
November 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
That's what I thought, but since I have virtually no background knowledge when it comes to these amps, I figure I'd ask. I have a whole bag of stupid questions when it comes to amps and pedals.

Tone2TheBone
November 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I agree turn it off. Reduce your carbon emissions. Think green. ;)

just strum
November 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM

:D :D :D

mrmudcat
November 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Well tube amps I turn on about a 15 minutes- half an hour to warm those babies up with the stanby on.If im not done playing I do leave it on(stanby switch on) to keep tubes crispy:spank:

Steve206
December 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hey Strum,,

I do not know if you have already been to the valvetronics site yet, but, in there, in one of the posts, is a guy doing a demo on an ad30vt. I learned an awful lot just by watching. Things that did not seem covered by the manual.

Steve

just strum
December 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Hey Strum,,

I do not know if you have already been to the valvetronics site yet, but, in there, in one of the posts, is a guy doing a demo on an ad30vt. I learned an awful lot just by watching. Things that did not seem covered by the manual.

Steve

You referring to this?

http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html

Steve206
December 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
That's the one,,,

You getting those sounds???? I'm not.

Steve

just strum
December 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
That's the one,,,

You getting those sounds???? I'm not.

Steve

I can get those sounds, I just can't play like that. He's modifying each setting with gain, volume, treble....and effects. I find the setting on

http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/AD15,30,50,100%20-%20VT/VTH/model_1_date_1.html

try some of those and see how it works for you.

Go to this section and look for the type of music you enjoy.

http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/music.html

oldguy
December 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM

:AOK:
Whatever it is, if you're not using it, shut it off...... you'll/we'll save more than you/we spend......use flourescent lights, recycle when you can, wear extra clothing and turn the thermostat down.
Think of it this way.... if every person that surfs the 'net sent one penny each to save the planet......it can be done. That's all I'm sayin'....Rock on!!:rockon:

Spudman
December 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Whatever it is, if you're not using it, shut it off...... you'll/we'll save more than you/we spend......use flourescent lights, recycle when you can, wear extra clothing and turn the thermostat down.
Think of it this way.... if every person that surfs the 'net sent one penny each to save the planet......it can be done. That's all I'm sayin'....Rock on!!:rockon:

Bless you. :beer:

Guitar Gal
December 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Ditto to all of that :AOK: Every little bit helps.

GG

oldguy
December 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
OK, now, that being said.....
What about when I waste energy-(everyones, not mine personally), attempting to show how an amp sounds...... not that I don't enjoy it, I do...but could our time be better spent on a more lofty endeavor..... such as showing the detrimental effects of coal-fired power plants on our environment. Should that be a different thread?
I'm thinking I should get back in touch w/ my acoustic..... anyone else?

Or, as the preacher in "Blazing Saddles" said, "are we just j*rking off"?

RlsUVOXbN2o&feature=related

just strum
December 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
...but could our time be better spent on a more lofty endeavor..... such as showing the detrimental effects of coal-fired power plants on our environment.

there are plenty of people telling and showing, the shortage is in people that will listen, but I think the next 10 to 20 years is going to be a big turn in the views on saving the planet.

It's not the end of the world and I will maintain my confidence in the human race realizing we need to change because this rock can only take so much. Hey, I said when I arrived here - "my glass is half full".

I'm thinking I should get back in touch w/ my acoustic..... anyone else?

I'll stick with my electric guitars - I'll use the acoustic when the power goes out.

PS: My amp is on "off" while I type this. ;)

RlsUVOXbN2o&feature=related[/QUOTE]

oldguy
December 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=just strum]there are plenty of people telling and showing, the shortage is in people that will listen, but I think the next 10 to 20 years is going to be a big turn in the views on saving the planet.

It's not the end of the world and I will maintain my confidence in the human race realizing we need to change because this rock can only take so much. Hey, I said when I arrived here - "my glass is half full".

I'll stick with my electric guitars - I'll use the acoustic when the power goes out.

PS: My amp is on "off" while I type this. ;)

Thanks, Strum...
I think I still need to revisit my acoustic........but thank you.....
in the meantime, I hope this can bring a smile to you........ I had fun doing it.

XoOLYQeQYAI&feature=user

just strum
December 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=just strum]

Thanks, Strum...

...in the meantime, I hope this can bring a smile to you........ I had fun doing it.

[/YOUTUBE]

:) :) :) It did, and it got me to close my eyes and relax - so it's me that owes you the thanks.

What song were you playing?

oldguy
December 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. Nice to relax, huh?
I dunno, it was a video I made w/ a BT to show how the SoCal sounded.
Glad you liked it, tho.
P.S.,
I've got faith in the human race, too.:AOK:
Thanks for the "half-full" reference, it helped.:beer: I'm still gonna have to break out the flat-top....:rotflmao: