PDA

View Full Version : Behringer UCA202 USB Interface?

M29
November 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer UCA202 USB Interface?

I ran across this looking over their products and did not find anything on a search here but wondered if this thing is any good? The description sounds good the price looks good and there are a couple positive reviews at http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

eichaan
November 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I've got one. I've used it daily for a couple of years now. It just plugged right into my G5 Power Mac. Works perfectly. One of the best purchases I've made.

333maxwell
November 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer UCA202 USB Interface?

I ran across this looking over their products and did not find anything on a search here but wondered if this thing is any good? The description sounds good the price looks good and there are a couple positive reviews at http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202.

M29

YES.. I use it daily.. (look just to the left of the laptop http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/333maxwell/?action=view&current=guitar.jpg )

If you want to hear it in action, all my songs on this page were recorded using it.. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=676362&content=music

It simply 'works' two RCA in's and two RCA outs, a headphone jack and a volume pot... anything you put in it, it puts into your computer with NO hassles..

For a 'one man' operation I couldn't find anything less expensive nor more effective. The next closest thing would be the usb lightsnake guitar cable, but for my application this thing is way more effective and way more versitle.

Behringer gets a bad rap by folks sometimes.. but I employ the USB connection, the x-vamp modeler and the tube mic pre amp.. paid less than $100 for ALL of them together and couldn't be more happy with them.

Good luck!

M29
November 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys for the info!

I have a Shure SM57 and can't seem to get a good input volume with my Win XP Pro SoundBlaster sound card in Audacity. Will this cure this?

333maxwell I see you use a (tube mic pre amp.) Would this be necessary along with this USB unit?

Thanks again all for your time and help.

M29

333maxwell
November 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys for the info!

I have a Shure SM57 and can't seem to get a good input volume with my Win XP Pro SoundBlaster sound card in Audacity. Will this cure this?

333maxwell I see you use a (tube mic pre amp.) Would this be necessary along with this USB unit?

Thanks again all for your time and help.

M29
ANY pre amp, regardless of tube or SS would help incredibly.
I use this lil guy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482
With both my Shure 58's (same as the 57 for the sake of our discussion) and my AKG C-452 EB (which requires phantom power) it is an ASSEST to both mics with my setup, and without it I would be mostly dead in the water.

So yes, any kind of gain you could get extra than just runing it directly into your soundcard should suite you well.

In the meantime, are you sure you have your levels up and your mixer set up correctly on your existing computer? You should be able to still power the 57 somewhat decently I would think.

M29
December 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hello 333maxwell,

Thank you for your time and help. I did get a better mic volume the last time I used it and I ordered the Behringer USB unit. Can't wait to try it out.

I am curious what your suggestions on mic placement are? I put the mic up in front of the speaker about 5 inches out or so off center some but I am not happy with the sound. Too dead and dry sounding, I am going to try it back a bit more next time.

Thanks again.

M29

333maxwell
December 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hello 333maxwell,

Thank you for your time and help. I did get a better mic volume the last time I used it and I ordered the Behringer USB unit. Can't wait to try it out.

I am curious what your suggestions on mic placement are? I put the mic up in front of the speaker about 5 inches out or so off center some but I am not happy with the sound. Too dead and dry sounding, I am going to try it back a bit more next time.

Thanks again.

M29

What kind of mic, what kind of speaker configuration (1 12 2X12 etc), what kind of amp... ?

M29
January 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hello 333maxwell,

I am using a Sure SM57 mic with a 12 inch cab and a Valve Junior tube amp. This is in a small room and the 12 inch speaker is in a small cabinet with a partial open back.

M29

333maxwell
January 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hello 333maxwell,

I am using a Sure SM57 mic with a 12 inch cab and a Valve Junior tube amp. This is in a small room and the 12 inch speaker is in a small cabinet with a partial open back.

M29Certainly you have experimented since we last talked?

Mic placement is sometimes a crap shoot. If you are having a hard time mic'ng
the Junior, try cutting a small circle about 2-4 inches (experiment) of cardboard and placing it dead center up against the grill dead center of the speaker (tape it in plcase for the experiment). Then try mic'ing it off the center several inches away and see if you have any better results.

You MIGHT find that warms it up a bit..

M29
January 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hello 333maxwell,

Well...The holidays were a no go for recording. The kids are now back to school and I am back to recording. What I am trying to do right now is get a decent tone to do a take on the Bm collab tune track everyone is doing. I think I have a decent tone to work with and as far as micing goes...I think up close is best so far just a bit off center. I am only two days into this I think I am on the right track.
One problem I am having is with the Behringer USB device. I cannot get enough volume to record with my SM57. If I go straight into the sound card I am fine but I get a bad echo in the headphones that throws me off while playing along to the track.

I would like to use the USB input, do you think I need a pre-amp? Maybe one like this that I have read about here. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

M29

tunghaichuan
January 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I think a mic pre is a good idea. I have an SM58 and I can't get any volume plugging directly into my crappy sound card. I have a little low end Behringer mic pre that works pretty well when plugging into my sound card. In fact, I'm thinking of purchasing the Behringer USB device for use with my mic pre. I also have a Behringer GI100 cab simulator which I'd like to try with the USB device.

tung

Well...The holidays were a no go for recording. The kids are now back to school and I am back to recording. What I am trying to do right now is get a decent tone to do a take on the Bm collab tune track everyone is doing. I think I have a decent tone to work with and as far as micing goes...I think up close is best so far just a bit off center. I am only two days into this I think I am on the right track.
One problem I am having is with the Behringer USB device. I cannot get enough volume to record with my SM57. If I go straight into the sound card I am fine but I get a bad echo in the headphones that throws me off while playing along to the track.

I would like to use the USB input, do you think I need a pre-amp? Maybe one like this that I have read about here. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

M29