PDA

View Full Version : CB's Debut for her Family

luvmyshiner
November 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Those of you who know Childbride from that "other forum" know that one of her struggles has been playing in front of other people. Thursday we headed down south to spend Thanksgiving with her family, with guitars in tow of course!

After a great day of football, food, fellowship and of course, beer:beer: about 9:00 I heard a guitar and spied CB in the dining room playing to an audience of about six people. CB was obviously lost in the moment, and was playing flawlessly for her family.

A couple of cool things, there were three ladies in their eighties who were entranced. It occurred to me that these ladies remembered the days before TV and even radio, when holidays meant someone would break out a guitar and the family would sing together. It's a shame we've lost that.

The other thing, her stepmother was actually sitting on the floor in front of her with an angelic smile. I remembered that CB had lost her stepbrother some twenty odd years ago. He was very much into music and played guitar. Before the evening was over, her stepmother was in tears (the good kind) and they had a very special moment together. It really brought me back to the spirit of the day.

just strum
November 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I had one of my stupid remarks, but I will save it for another time.

I think your little story catches one of the true meanings of music.

Thanks for sharing the moment.

Hey CB, your musical abilities have grown immensely in 12 months - I'm proud of you!!!

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
CB was obviously lost in the moment, and was playing flawlessly for her family.

A couple of cool things, there were three ladies in their eighties who were entranced. It occurred to me that these ladies remembered the days before TV and even radio, when holidays meant someone would break out a guitar and the family would sing together. It's a shame we've lost that.

The other thing, her stepmother was actually sitting on the floor in front of her with an angelic smile. I remembered that CB had lost her stepbrother some twenty odd years ago. He was very much into music and played guitar. Before the evening was over, her stepmother was in tears (the good kind) and they had a very special moment together. It really brought me back to the spirit of the day.

Thanks for sharing that. Bringing family closer together is what the holidays should be all about. I'll bet it was a great moment. Congrats to CB for playing in front of other people, too!:AOK:

Robert
November 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Congrats to CB for taking the jump! There's no going back now... :)

oldguy
November 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Beautiful.:AOK:

Childbride
November 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Shiner is being kind about the 'flawlessly'' part...

but it was really a special moment.

we had played earlier in the day before the majority of the family got there... and around 8:30ish, my stepmother said that she wasn't leaving until SHE got to hear me, b/c i'd never played for any of those present other than gram [my nickname for my grandmother] and my brother. it was her bday, and i could tell she was missing Daddy, and so i dutifully went to get my guitar.

and Shiner didn't hear this part, b/c i whispered it and he was in the other room.

i told her i was going to play tonight for my father.

and it just kind of clicked, and i zoned, and it was like he was watching.

we both shed a couple of tears when it was over...

thanks for all the words of encouragement... y'all are really special. :)

aeolian
November 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Lovely story. Sometimes words can't express what music can.

Childbride
November 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I had one of my stupid remarks, but I will save it for another time.

I think your little story catches one of the true meanings of music.

Thanks for sharing the moment.

Hey CB, your musical abilities have grown immensely in 12 months - I'm proud of you!!!

:D i think, Strum, i owe you props here... if i hadn't been playing that magic guitar that we got from you... who knows what would have happened... :eek: :eek:

R.B. Huckleberry
November 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Well done! Performing was a struggle for me, but I spent a decade on the stages of New England. I have a "thing" about crowds of people.

Recent conversation between me & Mom when I told her how freaked out crowds make me:

"But you played in a band in front of audiences!"
"Yeah, but they were over there!"

bigoldron
November 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think you've started a new tradition (or revived an old one) Childbride. Congrats to you for having the courage to play for your family. Sometimes playing for a few is harder than playing for 100's.

The minister of music at my church talks about his family get togethers. After the big meal, they all go into the "music room" and all pull out their guitars and whatever and start playing. I have a hard time just getting my family together, so enjoy what you've got. Bless you all during this season!

:) :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
November 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Really beautiful thing you did CB. It meant alot to you, but it often means more to others to share yourself like that.

I keep hoping that all of us oldies getting into music (& passing the bug onto our kids) could mean a revival of handmade local family & friends music.

Sure, most of us play alone, but my favorite conceit is that we are embodying a social drive that is only mascarading as a highly personal obsession (witness Vood's pedal post or Spud's Rooftop guitararium....;)

R_of_G
November 25th, 2007, 08:14 AM
That's awesome CB. You definitely remembered the face of your father.:AOK:

warren0728
November 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
very cool CB....i've learned this year than there is nothing more important than family....

ww

wingsdad
November 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Shiner is being kind about the 'flawlessly'' part...
Even though I obviously wasn't there, CB, I must humbly agree with him, because:

i told her i was going to play tonight for my father.

and it just kind of clicked, and i zoned, and it was like he was watching.

You just can't play any better than that, CB. :)

Guitar Gal
November 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Way to go CB :AOK: Seems like you found "the zone" :DR

GG

Childbride
November 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
i just wanted to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and encouragement. :)

it's been a magical few days of family, friends and guitar...

hope that all of you had a very special weekend! :D

mrmudcat
November 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Im always late to the party:spank: congrats,,,,,,,,,,I think I replied on the other forum?? I dont go there as much:deadhorse:

sunvalleylaw
November 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Congrats! That is awesome CB! Did you do some acoustii Femmes for them?! ;-)

Childbride
November 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM
:) no, actually it was kind of a 70's set. i played a bunch of songs that were on the radio when i was younger and reminded me of special days i spent with him doing cool dad/kid stuff.

but maybe that will be on the play list for next time. ;)

Brian Krashpad
November 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Cool story!

My dad always asks me to bring my 12-string when we visit, but it's hard because they now live several states away and we've got to bring luggage and a couple kids along.

A couple years ago, before my folks moved, my son's Cub Scout pack went camping near where my folks then lived, over Veteran's Day weekend. My Dad is a retired US Navy officer, and he came over to the campground for a ceremony where all the scouts told about vets in their family (and introduced any that could attend), and then we sang campfire songs and I and a couple other guys played guitar.

I could tell it really affected my dad, he talks about that to this day and always asks me to play the 12-string when they come to visit us.

Childbride
November 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM
cool story backatcha!

my grandpa was an officer in the Navy as well. lessee if i get this right, Lt. Col JG?

unfortunately, i took up guitar about a year and a half after Dad died. i think he would have dug it. :)

Brian Krashpad
November 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
cool story backatcha!

my grandpa was an officer in the Navy as well. lessee if i get this right, Lt. Col JG?

Yes, yes, Lieutenant Junior Grade (no colonels in the Navy): Lt. JG! My dad was a Lt. JG,. then Lt. , then a Lieutenant Commander (Lcdr), when he retired.

:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Yes, yes, Lieutenant Junior Grade (no colonels in the Navy): Lt. JG! My dad was a Lt. JG,. then Lt. , then a Lieutenant Commander (Lcdr), when he retired.

:AOK:

I'm sorry but can't the miltary come up with a better name tham
Lieutenant Junior Grade...

it kinda sounds like rank Huey, Dewey, & Louie were in the Junior Woodchucks.

;)

...& we return to the sweet rememberances of fathers & grandfathers.

Brian Krashpad
November 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry but can't the miltary come up with a better name tham
Lieutenant Junior Grade...

it kinda sounds like rank Huey, Dewey, & Louie were in the Junior Woodchucks.

;)

...& we return to the sweet rememberances of fathers & grandfathers.

What about the army and all those "privates," though?

That's a lot worse than Lt. JG!