PDA

View Full Version : 12 bar blues lesson

Robert
March 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I made a blues video lesson and I put it on Google Video to save myself bandwidth. Check it out and let me know what you think. It is quite basic stuff I think.

12 bar basic blues (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1524207294711524255)

Matt
March 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Basic yes, but damn useful. thanks!

regards

Matt

Robert
March 9th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks Matt!

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM
That begining on the E , A.. Second and fourth frets was probably the first thing I ever learned on a guitar Robert... Then dropping to the A, D strings of the same and back and forth as long as you want till running into B7, A7 chord turn around and back to the shuffle.. probably back in 5th-6th grade for a short year of trying guitar with friends and then leaving it behind.. when I got back into it these past couple of years I found 12 bar slow and easy and a great basis for my slowww and easy playing... You now added a familar beat with a stretching exercise for me.. hard to keep that pinky stretched down there on the F#, G# for my cramped lil' hands hah... thanks for the video.. it's a pleasant and simple way for us to play.

warren0728
March 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
robert,

in my opinion any lesson is a good lesson. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into helping make us better players. I really do want to meet you (and other fretters) someday and shake your hand.

ww

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Great job, Robert, I learned something new today! The blues is a simple art form, but it is in no way easy... Thanks for the lesson!

r_a_smith3530
March 15th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Great job, Robert, I learned something new today! The blues is a simple art form, but it is in no way easy... Thanks for the lesson!

Cool vid there Rob! You done good!!!

You are quite right Katastrophe. What I learned (yeah right!) from just spending a few minutes keeping a backbeat for Honeyboy has helped me immensely! That is a man who has spent almost his whole life perfecting that simple art form! He's currently almost 91. The blues isn't just a simple art form though, it's a way of life.

tot_Ou_tard
March 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks alot Robert!

More...more...please!

tot_Ou_tard
March 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
That begining on the E , A.. Second and fourth frets was probably the first thing I ever learned on a guitar Robert... Then dropping to the A, D strings of the same and back and forth as long as you want till running into B7, A7 chord turn around and back to the shuffle.. probably back in 5th-6th grade for a short year of trying guitar with friends and then leaving it behind.. when I got back into it these past couple of years I found 12 bar slow and easy and a great basis for my slowww and easy playing... You now added a familar beat with a stretching exercise for me.. hard to keep that pinky stretched down there on the F#, G# for my cramped lil' hands hah... thanks for the video.. it's a pleasant and simple way for us to play.

Last night when I was playing, I was having trouble indepently stretching out my third finger from my middle finger. I could easily move it down (say for an open G chord) but not sideways.

I realized that this was reflected in the fact that I couldn't do a convincing "Live long and prosper" a la Spock. I decided that I would practice this whenever I didn't have access to a guitar.

It's working. Does it help to play the guitar? I don't know yet, but if it doesn't I can always quit the guitar & become a trekkie.

I am sure there is a trekkie forum somewhere that would take me in.

Tone2TheBone
March 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Rob - Wasn't Honeyboy featured on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD?

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Tot
Be careful which trekkie forum you get into. One is for Trek bicycles and I don't think they understand much beyond granola and sweating. The finger thing is way outside their understanding.
Live long and prosper. "V"

jpfeifer
March 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Robert,

Nice job on that lesson. (I've been away from the site for a while busy with work stuff so I'm catching up reading some of the newer posts).

This is the kind of thing that makes a great lesson for people just getting into the blues and rock playing. Good job in going through that and making it clear. When I go through this kind of lesson with some of my students they have a hard time learning how to mute with the right hand properly, and you did a good job showing the different sounds you get.

-- Jim

r_a_smith3530
March 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Rob - Wasn't Honeyboy featured on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD?

Yes, he certainly was. He, along with friends Homesick James and Robert Jr. Lockwood, were the featured act at the Chicago Blues Festival a couple years ago. Livin' in the Windy City is great!