PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Kustom PA - feedback

Duff
November 25th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Head unit KPM4100 is 100 watt out through two eight ohm jacks on the back. The speaker cabs are eight ohm Kustom KSC10's. They have ten inch speakers and tweeter horns. They look fairly nice.

Seems to be a decent unit for at home use practicing. Got an Audio technica dynamic DR-VX1 digital reference mic and a good cable xlr both ends.

The cables from the mixer/amp to the cabs are made out of household lamp wire. You know, the flat type with the two wires molded together with the groove down the middle. The type wire that any appliance like a toaster or radio would have.

I can't imagine this being shielded in any substantial way.

Do you think getting speaker cables would be a good idea? I have access to two 25 footers at a real good price, both new.

Why would Kustom market the unit with lamp cord wire to the cabs? Does this make sense in any significant way? Is this where my feedback is probably coming from?

Ideas are appreciated. Seems otherwise like a nice small four channel PA that I can play my acoustic with the Dean Markley humbucker through. I have the D. Markley footpedal acoustic preamp that I put in line before inputing into the KPM4100. I tried this and it sounded great. Turn up the volume on the DM preamp and you don't have to crank the PA.

I was using a guitar amp, 120 watt 2 12 inch and I had to max the volume to get good acoustic volume and turn down all of the eq except the mid. Plus I couldn't hook up a microphone and have it sound anywhere near good.

I'm hoping this small PA will be good for practicing at home. Playing my electrics through amps and singing through the PA. Using the acoustic Seagull 20th aniv. s6 with spruce top and with blonde flammed maple sides and back. I get great tone from the PA with this. Much easier than trying to get a good sound out of a regular guitar amp.

Does this sound like a reasonable set up?

Thanks for the ideas.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.
mbolduc@dejazzd.com

333maxwell
November 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Head unit KPM4100 is 100 watt out through two eight ohm jacks on the back. The speaker cabs are eight ohm Kustom KSC10's. They have ten inch speakers and tweeter horns. They look fairly nice.

Seems to be a decent unit for at home use practicing. Got an Audio technica dynamic DR-VX1 digital reference mic and a good cable xlr both ends.

The cables from the mixer/amp to the cabs are made out of household lamp wire. You know, the flat type with the two wires molded together with the groove down the middle. The type wire that any appliance like a toaster or radio would have.

I can't imagine this being shielded in any substantial way.

Do you think getting speaker cables would be a good idea? I have access to two 25 footers at a real good price, both new.

Why would Kustom market the unit with lamp cord wire to the cabs? Does this make sense in any significant way? Is this where my feedback is probably coming from?

Ideas are appreciated. Seems otherwise like a nice small four channel PA that I can play my acoustic with the Dean Markley humbucker through. I have the D. Markley footpedal acoustic preamp that I put in line before inputing into the KPM4100. I tried this and it sounded great. Turn up the volume on the DM preamp and you don't have to crank the PA.

I was using a guitar amp, 120 watt 2 12 inch and I had to max the volume to get good acoustic volume and turn down all of the eq except the mid. Plus I couldn't hook up a microphone and have it sound anywhere near good.

I'm hoping this small PA will be good for practicing at home. Playing my electrics through amps and singing through the PA. Using the acoustic Seagull 20th aniv. s6 with spruce top and with blonde flammed maple sides and back. I get great tone from the PA with this. Much easier than trying to get a good sound out of a regular guitar amp.

Does this sound like a reasonable set up?

Thanks for the ideas.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.
mbolduc@dejazzd.com
Actually they got it right...
You don't want to use a sheilded cable for a speaker.
What LOOKS like a regular guitar cord (sheilded cable) is actualy the very same thing you are seeing with the 'lamp cord' wiring.

It's a fine entry level PA for smaller spaces.....

Enjoy!

oldguy
November 25th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Sounds reasonable enough to me. Listen to 333maxwell's advice on the wire, tho.
Yep, that's right, sheilded cords are a no-no for speaker connections.:nono:
You didn't go into much detail on the EQ section of your mixer head, sometimes a decent mutli-band equalizer added on can help a lot w/ feedback problems. Something like this might help.:whatever:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ULTRAGRAPH-PRO-FBQ1502-EQ-with-Feedback-Detection?sku=182489

Fat Strings
January 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
We use a similar set up for our monitor set up. Except we have the 200W powered mixer and 15's. It's very good for what your doing. You might want to think about getting a cheap compressor down the line to really keep feedback in check and keep from over exerting those 10's. Those cabs aren't exactly the most rugged pieces of equipment....nonetheless man, for music your playin', can't beat it!

FS

Duff
January 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I found that the first PA hiss quite loudly at reasonable volume so I returned it and got a Kustom Profile One with roller case at GC brand new for 199 during a two day sale, plus 20% off for the first few hours that day. This usually costs much more. Brand new in the box.

This item is quiet at full volume and has a guitar specific input and four mic inputs, great effects, EQ control on each channel and on the master section, effects control on the channels and on the master.

Two 6.5 inch speakers and a tweeter and port for each speaker. Some kind of special design speakers.

This unit is a strong 100 watts and sounds really great both for guitar and vocals. I have a Dean Markley acoustic preamp for my acoustic. No feedback from dynamic mic's, even up close.

This is a nice item and they make a higher powered one as well.

I am super satisfied with this item. Modern looking design too.

Duffy

333maxwell
January 7th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I found that the first PA hiss quite loudly at reasonable volume so I returned it and got a Kustom Profile One with roller case at GC brand new for 199 during a two day sale, plus 20% off for the first few hours that day. This usually costs much more. Brand new in the box.

This item is quiet at full volume and has a guitar specific input and four mic inputs, great effects, EQ control on each channel and on the master section, effects control on the channels and on the master.

Two 6.5 inch speakers and a tweeter and port for each speaker. Some kind of special design speakers.

This unit is a strong 100 watts and sounds really great both for guitar and vocals. I have a Dean Markley acoustic preamp for my acoustic. No feedback from dynamic mic's, even up close.

This is a nice item and they make a higher powered one as well.

I am super satisfied with this item. Modern looking design too.

Duffy

Thanks for checking back, and the review. Glad to hear all is going well!