PDA

View Full Version : Crate V8 Palamino

Duff
November 25th, 2007, 02:37 AM
This V8 Palamino has only three knobs on the control panel; but, I bought a Digitech RP350 and now I use this little five watt tube amp ALL the time to practice. Hardly ever do I use other amps. Tonight I experimented with my Behringer gm110 analog modeling amp and it is thirty ss watts. It sounded good after some adjusting and selecting and I'm sure I can get even better sounds out of it. But the V8 is so simple. Just plug in and worry about how I have the floor processor pedal set.

I can't say enough good things about that Crate V8 Palamino. I don't think they make them anymore but they did reduce their price to 100 at the big online music places like MF, etc. You might still be able to find one.

What a great sounding amp with a ten inch Celestion speaker.

I've got to say it is my favorite amp right now. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I should use more, it is a tweed edition with a Jensen speaker. 40 tube watts. It is brand new. I am going to take it in to the auth. Fender repair place and the guy is going to tweak the tube bias and resolder any cold solder joints as recommended warranty service. No cost to me. I'm going to try to get him to change out that volume pot so it doesn't go from zero to 10 between zero and 2.

Anyway, a decent guitar processor pedal can really make a high quality small tube amp extremely versitile. I get sounds out of that V8 that you would never be able to get any other way. Even if you chained pedals you would get additive noise or loss of tone. This rig is awesome.

I have been playing my new Epiphone 1966 SG copy G400 with heritage cherry, highly varnished. What a nice guitar. Got it for 265 at GC during the two hour twenty percent off special, plus it was already marked down to 299. This is a very, very nice sounding guitar.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa
mbolduc@dejazzd.com

oldguy
November 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I've never played the Crate V8, but always hear good things about the sound.
All the tube amphs I've played through seem to take pedals and multi effects processors well, esp. if ran through the effects loop to quiet them down.
There are some really good modeling amphs nowadays, but I'm still stuck on the tube sound. Crank it up, right into some soft OD, and you've got it.:)

That SG sounds sweet. :Dude: Got some pics, or did I just miss them?
EDIT: Never mind, I see 'em over on the Gibson side. Nice.:AOK:

Guitar Gal
November 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear you love your Crate Palomino V8 Duff :Dude:
I've only had mine a couple of months and LOVE it also :AOK: I got one when I saw that MF had them on sale for $199.00.

Are you running the RP350 through the input jack or the line out jack?

GG

Duff
December 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I'm running the RP350 into the input jack on the amp. This way it is at my feet. It has an expression pedal. I could run it through the loop though to see how it sounds. I guess you could just plug it into the effects return jack on the "Y" cable and run it through the line out. I'll have to try that. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Duffy

piebaldpython
January 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I am seriously thinking about at least test driving this 5W Palomino. I have narrowed my amp choices to the Palomino, the Blackheart LG combo (tube also) and the Trademark 30 (analog that has drawn raves for being as close to tubular without being so).

tunghaichuan
January 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I am seriously thinking about at least test driving this 5W Palomino. I have narrowed my amp choices to the Palomino, the Blackheart LG combo (tube also) and the Trademark 30 (analog that has drawn raves for being as close to tubular without being so).

Do you live near a Guitar Center? I got a clearance flyer and IIRC, the V8 is on sale. You might call to see if they have any in stock before you drive there.

tung

mrmudcat
January 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM

$50 more (That is if your budget is still $300) gets ya 10 more watts ,12 inch speaker,3 band E.Q. boost switch,oh yea did I mention reverb
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

Duff
January 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Guitar Center is now selling them for 158. The V16 is 278. Can you believe that?

These might be discontinued and could be collector's items someday maybe, I don't know enough about what makes something a classic, but these Palamino's are definitely distinctive in a real nice way.

The V32 is also ridiculously low pricedat 399. The new regular black 30 watt version is 699.

These could be good deals, if you like the sound of the amp.

Duff

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I agree if the one I linked is that low im going to buy it!! I love the classy looks of the palomino!!:beer:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V16-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046561-i1146110.gc

Ok thats setteled:thwap:

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Also the royal 8 peavey's have started to appear and it does have phone jack!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Valve-King-Royal-8-5W-1x8-Tube-Combo-Amp-481661-i1383113.gc

Duff
January 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Guitar Center is now selling them for 158. The V16 is 278. Can you believe that?

These might be discontinued and could be collector's items someday maybe, I don't know enough about what makes something a classic, but these Palamino's are definitely distinctive in a real nice way.

The V32 is also ridiculously low pricedat 399. The new regular black 30 watt version is 699.

These could be good deals, if you like the sound of the amp.

Duff