PDA

View Full Version : Want to become a Master of your instrument?

Robert
November 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Of course you do. Okay, here's the deal.

THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET.

The point of this thread is that I want to recommend a book to you. It's called Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment (http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Keys-Success-Long-Term-Fulfillment/dp/0452267560) by George Leonard.

What it does gives you the tools you need to become a Master - kind of a big word - but what it means to me is a journey. It can apply to relationships, playing guitar, sports, work, etc.

Leonard describes Mastery as:
1. Instruction;
2. Practice;
3. Surrender;
4. Intentionality; and,
5. The Edge - Push the envelop.

I have heard other guitar players talk about this book, so I bought it. It's a good read and it's not a thick or demanding book. I highly recommend it. It fits into what us guitar players do or struggle with very well. :AOK:

If you read it and decide to practice what it teaches, please let us know your thoughts and feedback.

just strum
November 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Of course you do. Okay, here's the deal.

THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET.

The point of this thread is that I want to recommend a book to you. It's called Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment (http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Keys-Success-Long-Term-Fulfillment/dp/0452267560) by George Leonard.

What it does gives you the tools you need to become a Master - kind of a big word - but what it means to me is a journey. It can apply to relationships, playing guitar, sports, work, etc.

Leonard describes Mastery as:
1. Instruction;
2. Practice;
3. Surrender;
4. Intentionality; and,
5. The Edge - Push the envelop.

I have heard other guitar players talk about this book, so I bought it. It's a good read and it's not a thick or demanding book. I highly recommend it. It fits into what us guitar players do or struggle with very well. :AOK:

If you read it and decide to practice what it teaches, please let us know your thoughts and feedback.

It looks like a good book (and cheap). I will add it to my Christmas list - another one where the tag says To: Strum - From: Strum

Thanks for the tip.