PDA

View Full Version : VPN Connection

just strum
November 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Ok, this is probably a long shot, but I am fit to be tied right now. I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and for the life of me I can not make a connection to work using the wireless (I can if a direct wire the DSL connection).

I've done a lot of google searching, but the info that I have found has not resulted in any success. It is obviously a common problem, but either the fix doesn't work or I don't understand what the hell they are talking about.

Since I picked up on a few computer literate people on this forum, I thought maybe someone can provide some assistance.

aeolian
November 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm not an IT person so I really can't tell you the ins and outs of these things, but I can tell you that I can access my work via VPN through my wireless router.

Can you establish a VPN connection at all? Can you ping your work computers? If all else fails I would recommend talking to the IT people at your work.

duhvoodooman
November 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Can you otherwise access the internet normally through your wireless connection? If so, it would seem to have to be related either to the configuration of your VPN client on the PC you're using there at home, or a problem with the VPN server at your work location. I'd be on the phone w/ the IT guys there at work, if I was you....

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not an IT person so I really can't tell you the ins and outs of these things, but I can tell you that I can access my work via VPN through my wireless router.

Can you establish a VPN connection at all? Can you ping your work computers? If all else fails I would recommend talking to the IT people at your work.

I can connect if I run direct from my DSL line (bypassing the wireless router). So I'm 99% sure something is incorrect in the settings. I'm doing a check against someone else's settings to see if I can locate it.

Ask my IT group? Here's a picture of them :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

duhvoodooman
November 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Ask my IT group? Here's a picture of them :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:
Hey, that bunch works HERE, too! :rotflmao:

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Can you otherwise access the internet normally through your wireless connection? If so, it would seem to have to be related either to the configuration of your VPN client on the PC you're using there at home, or a problem with the VPN server at your work location. I'd be on the phone w/ the IT guys there at work, if I was you....

Sorry, missed this post.

I have no other problems with the wireless, I can access the web and so can two other computers in the house. Since I can access work if I plug in the DSL line direct to my laptop, I don't see where there would be a problem or issue at work.

It has to be (I'm not an expert) something in the settings of the wireless box or a glitch in my home network settings. Computers:reallymad: :mad: :flamemad:

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I just spent an hour on the phone with my IP and had a terrible connection (they are located outside of the country). One hour of work and no success. I told them I ran a diagnostic check and there was a pinging problem. One hour later - dame problem.

Test Description Result
Default Gateway Ping the default gateway PASS
DNS Ping the primary Domain Name Server FAIL
DNS Query Test DNS Query PASS
Internet Ping a well-known Internet host FAIL

It's times like this when I strongly dislike computers.

aeolian
November 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Sorry about your situation, but if you cannot ping your host computer you will have no chance getting connected properly.

WackyT
November 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds like it might be a NAT problem.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-1038889.html

Do you have a setup menu in your router for VPN?

just strum
November 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
The whole time that I've been working on this issue I kept telling our IS guys that I know it's something stupid, I'm staring right at it, and I'm too caught up in looking for the complicated problem.

Well, it was the router. I brought home another router (same brand, different model), popped in the wires, grabbed my laptop and ba da bing I'm connected to work.

bigoldron
December 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear you got it working!