PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Elite Les Paul Studio Review

Algonquin
November 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I thought I'd post a quick review of the Epiphone Elite Les Paul Studio.

I bought this guitar back in March of this year. I was originally looking at the Epi LP Custom in Alpine White, but this was hanging next to it. Both were very nice, but this one just seemed to resonate more acoustically. Pickups in both guitars sounded good, but the one in the Epi Studio sounded a little bit better IMHO. As nice as the stock pickups were, I've swapped them out for a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck, and just recently upgraded the bridge to the '57 Classic +. The Gibson in the neck position provided the biggest improvement in the guitar. It's warm, incredibly clean, and has the definition I was hoping for. The 57+ in the bridge is also an improvement, just not as big as the neck. The 57+ is a very bright P/U, so I find I have to roll down the treble control to tame it down.

One thing I've noticed about these Pickups is they are forcing me to become a better player, as they will expose your weakness with their clarity. (Does this make sense to anyone?)

This guitar was almost $150 more that the Epi LP Custom, but was still far less expensive than the Sunburst or Goldtop Elite Models. (Man I'd still love to have one of those though) The Studio lacks the binding and other nice cosmetic features of the Customs, but this guitar plays and sounds every bit as good to me.

Factoring in this price included an Ephiphone hardshell case, it was a fairly easy decision to make. I have had zero issues with this guitar! I am very impressed with what you get for your hard earned $$$

Here are the Tech Specs for the Epi Website as well as a photo.

Tuners: Grover
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Neck: 1-pc Mahogany, 22 fret
Neck Joint: Set, 16th fret
Nut: 1-11/16", Bone
Scale: 24-3/4"
Top: Book-Matched Maple
Back: Mahogany
Sides: n/a
Rhythm PU: 50SR (USA Humbucker) Swapped for Gibson '57 Classic
Treble PU: 60ST (USA Humbucker) Swapped for Gibson '57 Classic +
Controls: 2-V, 2-T; 3-Way Pickup Selector
Hardware: Nickel

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/lpstudio.htm

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_721472c6f5816ec1.jpg

Duff
December 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I notice you have a Yamaha acoustic.

Have you tried the Yamaha Magicstomp acoustic guitar processor? This thing is awesome. I just got one for my Seagull S six. It produces some really nice tones in addition to the tone you get from your guitar. It sounds really good. I'm using it thru a Kustom Profile One portable PA, which is also a neat item, instead of an acoustic amplifier. I can sing through the PA, it has four xlr mic inputs.

The Magicstomp is really nice, a whole bunch of great tones, reverbs, echos, etc., like hundreds of different options. The thing is deep, highly adjustable.

Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you are looking for a good acoustic processor. I am using a Dean Markley soundhole humbucker and a Markley acoustic preamp, outboard type, then into the Magicstomp and to the PA. Quiet and nice.

Duffy

Your studio looks great. I bet it sounds great too. I just put SD "hot rodded" pickups on my Epi Standard LP and it sounds awesome, super awesome.

SuperSwede
December 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Nice guitar and nice review :)

Btw, does the 57 classic come with a 4-leaded cable? (split)

Algonquin
December 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks Gents...

Duffy, the SD 'Hot Rodded' set was the way I was thinking of going, I just hadn't seen them with Nickel covers when I came across the 57's. I bought them separately, but they do sound very good. Probably similar to the JB/Jazz combo I'm thinking.

Morning SS, Nope the 57's don't come wired like that, so I guess splitting/tapping isn't doable with these.

I just noticed that the 'Brightness' switch on my JC50 was on (My little guy I'm thinking), so that accounted for some of the highs I mentioned with the bridge P/U. It's much better now that's it's set to normal.

Cheers! :beer:

David

duhvoodooman
December 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Nice gitfiddle and a good review, David! The Epi Elitist series guitars are truly premium instruments at very reasonable prices. I've had my Elitist LP Standard for two years this month, and it's just a beautifully made guitar. With the exception of the somewhat bland 50SR/60ST pickup set, I'd put this guitar up against a Gibby LP Std. for looks, workmanship and playability any day of the week. But pickup swaps are so easy and relatively inexpensive, that's a very minor point. I have a Duncan '59 at the neck and a Duncan Custom 5 at the bridge, and am very happy with those. The Custom 5 is a little hotter than the Pearly Gates I had in it first, with a tamer top end (the PG was a little too bright for my taste) and a fuller lower mid-range and bottom. Not as hot as a JB, though. Seems to be a good tonal balance for my personal tastes.

Brian Krashpad
December 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Would love a bigger pic.

Did you buy new, I'm guessing? What did it run you?

Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the info.

Algonquin
December 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Brian, it's really has been a great purchase. There's a bit bigger pic in my VB Image Host file... so you can get a better look there.

I did buy it new, and it was $735 with the case, which I still consider a good price for an Elite model. The '57 pickups have made a big difference.

It turns out this guitar was made in the same factory in Japan as my 1983 '62 Squier JV Strat... Small World.

David

wingsdad
December 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Very nice catch, David. I've got a set of Gibson '57 Classics (no +) in my Epi Sheraton II, got it that way, used. My Epi LP Standard with it's stock Rice Paddy Buckers is no contest.