PDA

View Full Version : Kevin DuBrow RIP!

Big_Rob
November 26th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I dont know if this terrible news has been posted yet, but here it is.

http://deathbeeper.com/6107021.html

Quiet Riot Singer Kevin DuBrow Found Dead In His Las Vegas Home
Rocker, 52, died of unknown causes.

Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow died Sunday, drummer Frankie Banali confirmed in a post on his Web site. DuBrow was 52 years old and the official cause of his death has yet to be determined, pending autopsy and toxicology results.
"I can't even find words to say," Banali wrote. "Please respect my privacy as I mourn the passing and honor the memory of my dearest friend Kevin DuBrow."
DuBrow's body was discovered on Sunday inside the rocker's Las Vegas home; police were called to the residence by a concerned neighbor, and DuBrow was pronounced dead at 5:20 p.m. According to those close to the singer, DuBrow celebrated his birthday last month in New Orleans and seemed to be in good health. According to a spokesperson for the Las Vegas police department, there were no signs of forced entry at the home, and police do not suspect foul play.
Quiet Riot bassist Kelly Garni has asked fans to be patient for details on the singer's death.
"I ask this to all of you not only for myself but for other friends and family," Garni wrote, in a message posted to a Web site honoring the memory of Quiet Riot founding member Randy Rhoads. "I ask that no one here offer any speculation or opinions, theories or other things that could be construed as negative or, and I'm sorry for this, even sympathetic, right at this immediate time. I am already, within hours of this, having to deal with untrue rumors and speculation and that only adds fuel to that. There is a tendency for the subject of Kevin to incite flames on every board, and now is not the time for that. I will explain to everyone here the facts and the truth in the next 24 to 48 hours as I realize this will affect us all. So please, until then, be patient. All details and other pertinent info will be passed on to you here when it becomes available to me."
Bill Chavis, owner of Chavis Records, the label that issued Quiet Riot's last LP, 2006's Rehab, also confirmed the news.
"DuBrow's body was found by friends on Sunday, November 25, in his Las Vegas home," reads the label's site. "As I mourn his death with a heavy heart, I will remember hearing his voice and the music for the very first time on the radio back in 1983. I will remember all the great music Kevin and Quiet Riot gave to so many of us over the years and I will say, 'Thank you, Kevin. May you rest in peace.' "
Credited with helping to launch the 1980s glam-metal scene, Quiet Riot are perhaps best known for their cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel the Noize," which appeared on 1983's Metal Health and eventually peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The album is widely considered the first by a metal band to reach the chart's #1 position.
Rhoads formed Quiet Riot in 1975, but the group split four years later when he left to join Ozzy Osbourne's band (Rhoads died in a plane crash in 1982). DuBrow launched his own band, called DuBrow, and later reverted to the Quiet Riot name.
While Metal Health put Quiet Riot on the map, the band's subsequent releases weren't as well-received. Not helping the situation were some of DuBrow's comments: During the '80s, the singer was notorious for deriding contemporary metal bands in interviews and even lashed out at the press and the band's label. Toward the conclusion of the band's 1987 tour, DuBrow was fired from Quiet Riot; he was left behind in a hotel, while the rest of the band took an earlier flight. However, Quiet Riot's career with new singer Paul Shortino met with even less success.
The members gradually reunited under the Quiet Riot moniker in the early '90s and continued to tour and record consistently until DuBrow's passing. In 2004, DuBrow released a collection of covers as his first solo LP, In for the Kill.
[This story was originally published at 12:24 p.m. ET on 11.26.2007]

Spudman
November 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I heard that this morning. Kevin was only 52 years old. So far no exact cause of death has been announced. Probably just didn't take care of himself like he should. We'll find out soon I'm sure.

He was a close friend to Glenn Hughes and Glen struggled for a long time fighting his addiction demons and finally got on top of his game. I'll bet Kevin was inspired to do the same. Whether he actually did or not will probably come out in the news soon, but past conversations between Kevin and Glenn made it seem like they put much of the substance problems behind them.

Big_Rob
November 26th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I surley hope it wasnt drug related.

5b0MjRQTUSw

marnold
November 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Kevin DuBrow certainly earned his share of enemies in the 80s by shooting off his mouth all the time. Having said that, their album "Metal Health" is still in my MP3 jukebox. Quiet Riot is also the band that gave the world Randy Rhoads, so that has to count for something. They've got an acoustic version of "Don't Wanna Let You Go (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QOLKT0/ref=dm_dp_trk11)" (which has always been my favorite QR song) on their album "Alive and Well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R00SBY/ref=sr_f2_album_4?ie=UTF8&child=B000QOLKP4)" from 1999. Rudy Sarzo was one of my bass heroes too.

Tone2TheBone
November 27th, 2007, 09:21 AM
R.I.P. Kevin.

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's official - he screwed up.

LAS VEGAS -- His bandmates may have thought he had kicked the habit, but according to the Clark County coroner, Quiet Riot lead singer Kevin DuBrow died of a cocaine overdose.

Samantha Charles, spokeswoman for the coroner's office, said after toxicology results were received Monday, "The cause is cocaine intoxication."

Investigators called to DuBrow's home the night he died said there was no forced entry and no suspicious circumstances.

Quiet Riot was perhaps best known for its 1983 cover of "Cum on Feel the Noize." The song, featuring DuBrow's powerful, gravelly voice, appeared on the band's album "Metal Health" -- which was the first by a metal band to reach No. 1 on the Billboard chart.
DuBrow recorded a solo album in 2004, "In for the Kill," and the band's last studio CD, "Rehab," came out in October 2006.

He was 52.

R_of_G
December 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
This reminded me of my only Quiet Riot story, you may or may not find it amusing. I did.

In 1999 Tampa, FL hosted the NHL All-Star Game. My wife and I attended [it was a lot of fun btw, and Gretzky put on quite the show in his last All-Star appearance]. On our way into the arena we saw/heard that one of the radio stations had a live band playing. As we got closer we could hear they were playing "'Cum On Feel the Noise." As we got even closer we realized what we thought was a Quiet Riot cover band was, in fact, Quiet Riot. We laughed and laughed and went in to watch some hockey.

That's my memory of Quiet Riot. Still, RIP Mr. Dubrow.:rockon:

Mark
December 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Dang when will our fellow geezers learn these 50+ year old hearts will no longer tolerate the happy powder? Sad waste of the gift of life......