PDA

View Full Version : Look what I snagged off ebay this morning!

luvmyshiner
November 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Say hello to the newest member of the Shiner household. A D'Aquisto Centura!:beer: The beers on me guys.:AOK:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/101_0488-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/101_0490-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/101_0498-1.jpg

warren0728
November 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
sweet looking guitar! good find...

ww

Sblack
November 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Impeccable flame. Beautiful guitar. I am not into jazz boxes, but if I were that would be the guitar I would want. Enjoy!

Robert
November 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Holy Cow! That musta cost an arm and a couple a legs!

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
That is truly a beaut Shiner.

Wow! How'z it sound?

Guitar Gal
November 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Very cool Shiner :beer: I know you have been gasin' for one of these for a while now!

How does she sound? :rockon: We want DETAILS :deadhorse:

Looks like quite a beauty :AOK:

GG

luvmyshiner
November 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I've only played one of these babies, and it was the sweetest sounding acoustic I've ever played. A little on the quiet side (look how thin the body is) but spot on intonation. It almost sounds like a classical.

As I understand it, Aria bought the rights to D'Aquisto's guitars after his death and began making them as ordered. They're no longer making the Centura, so you have to either find one used, or find someone with some new old stock.

I've been searching for one of these for about 7 months now (ever since I played it). I had a lead on one for $1600, but it had a crack that had been repaired, and I've been told you can't really repair a crack on an archtop, so I passed.

Then I found this guy on ebay about two or three months ago who has a bunch of new old stock. He's been auctioning one or two a week. I've bid on a few with no luck. The last few weeks he was selling Centura's with a different finish that I didn't care for, so I let them pass. Then this beauty went up about four days ago. I've been watching it like a hawk!

Robert
November 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Are you a jazz player?

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Are you a jazz player?

He is now.

M29
November 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Oh that baby is sweeeet:AOK:

M29

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
OK Shiner I know how you were after one of these since the Vegas trip and you really snag a beautiful one.

Now if I recall, you once mentioned that since CB liked the EA20SDL so much you felt obligated to fill the void caused be the departure from my house. Hmmmm, let me see if I can come up with a suitable replacement.

Enjoy that guitar buddy, you earned it.

Childbride
November 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM
i've been drooling ever since he emailed me at lunch about the sale. i played the one in vegas too, and it took me to a different place. that is one SUWEEET gitfiddle!!!

we're going to have to put in chits for visitation rights, or something. :) :drool:

luvmyshiner
November 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Robert, if I were to describe my style, I would have to call it "contemporary sucks". My sound is similar to the sound you get when you grab a cat by the tail, swing it above your head, then stuff it in a blender (no offense to the cat lovers on the forum).:messedup:

Having said that, I love jazz guitar, even if I can't play it, and I just fell in love with this guitar when I played it. Maybe it's time for me to suck it up and start taking lessons with CB. My problem has always been that when I start working too hard at a hobby, I seem to loose interest.

As far as filling that void Strummy, how about if I send you CB's baby yamaha?:beer:

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
My problem has always been that when I start working too hard at a hobby, I seem to loose interest.

do you still have my phone number? I want to be notified if there is a "Going out of interest" sale:beer:

luvmyshiner
November 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
do you still have my phone number? I want to be notified if there is a "Going out of interest" sale:beer:

You got it brother! But I wouldn't plan on loosing any sleep waiting for that day.:poke:

just strum
November 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM
You got it brother! But I wouldn't plan on loosing any sleep waiting for that day.:poke:

Didn't think so. That is a real score you made there, I have a feeling that won't be leaving you for a long, long time.

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
That guitar has style in spades...just too damn cool, but what is going on in the soundholes?

luvmyshiner
November 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Tot, the back and sides are laminated maple, so what you're seeing through the soundholes is the unfinished white maple. The top is solid sitka spruce.

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hey Tot, the back and sides are laminated maple, so what you're seeing through the soundholes is the unfinished white maple. The top is solid sitka spruce.
Thanks Shiney, it kind'a looked liked they were plugged up with balsa wood.

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Beautiful looking! Bet she sounds it too. Congrats!

luvmyshiner
November 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks Steve. The problem now is that I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for Santa to arrive! Somebody needs to kick those reindeer in the butt and get them moving.

millenium_03
November 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
:beer:
beer: The beers on me guys.:AOK:

All right Shiner... I've send you the beer bill !!!:beer: :beer:

I've wait more than 4 month before receiving my fully paid Ibanez... That was the hardest part of my life.

mrmudcat
November 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
:crazyguy: :crazyguy: :drool: :drool: :master: :master:

pes_laul
November 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
nice what kind of pups does it have:beavisnbutthead:

luvmyshiner
November 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
No pups Pes. She's a good ole' fashion acoustic!

pes_laul
November 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
No pups Pes. She's a good ole' fashion acoustic!
Oh I feel like an Idiot I only saw the picture from the back point of view and I thought it was a les paul type:thwap:

ted s
November 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Kris has Husky pups.

wingsdad
November 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
You Dawg, Shiner :Dude:
Helluva Nice Catch for you & CB to haggle :poke: over playing time...

Childbride
November 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
if i'm a good girl, i get to take her to my lesson next wednesday night. my teacher has already jokingly :eek: told me to bring my shotgun so i can get it back... :rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
November 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Well I got the tracking number, and she's spending the night in Mesquite, Texas, scheduled for delivery on Monday. Damn UPS, hurry, hurry!:deadhorse:

oldguy
November 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Well I got the tracking number, and she's spending the night in Mesquite, Texas, scheduled for delivery on Monday. Damn UPS, hurry, hurry!:deadhorse:

Hope it gets there soon, 'shiner. Man, that is one gorgeous guitar! Congrats, and post some pics when you can. Beautiful!!!:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

luvmyshiner
November 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks Oldguy. I promise, pics on the way sitting on a comfy couch!

Katastrophe
December 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Shiner, that guitar is beautiful. I'd be afraid to get near it, lest my drool damage the finish. It really does look like a work of art.:drool: :AOK:

luvmyshiner
December 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Katastrophe. I only wish I could afford one of D'Aquisto's originals. Unfortunately, since he only made 370 guitars in his life, they go for six digits. Here's an interesting article regarding the last guitar he ever made (a Centura:) ):

http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/29/0529pow.html

In the last seven months I've spent a lot of time researching Jimmy D'Aquisto and his guitars. Unfortunately he died in 1995 at the young age of 59. I can't help but wonder what he might have created had he lived longer.

evenkeel
December 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
What a beauty. Congrats. Looking forward to the pics.

Katastrophe
December 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks Katastrophe. I only wish I could afford one of D'Aquisto's originals. Unfortunately, since he only made 370 guitars in his life, they go for six digits. Here's an interesting article regarding the last guitar he ever made (a Centura:) ):

http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/29/0529pow.html

In the last seven months I've spent a lot of time researching Jimmy D'Aquisto and his guitars. Unfortunately he died in 1995 at the young age of 59. I can't help but wonder what he might have created had he lived longer.

If you could afford one of the originals, you'd have to consider this post an application for adoption.:messedup: I looked at the Aria website, and there were some nice models. Mr. D'Aquisto had a keen eye for clean, functional design.