PDA

View Full Version : Whammy stub stuck in bridge box... help??

ams32
November 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I am rebuilding a fender, cosmetic and fixing some broken elements - but help - I am stuck

how does one repair a whammy that has snapped off in the metal bridge box, ie, the shaft is trapped inside the bridge box, and cant be unscrewed from either side.... I have the broken lever and handle part but the (screw in part with the thread is trapped inside the guitar... seemingly impossible to get out..) even after taking the guitar to pieces....

Can i drill the center of the stub out (to weaken it) then punch it out? or what?
can i glue something metal to metal? then actually unscrew it normally?
or do i need to buy a new bridge box thing.???

how else could i get it out, i cannot screw in the new whammy because of the broken section

any ideas? - I miss my whammy

Spudman
November 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
You'll need a drill, drill bit and easy out. If you don't have these things just take the bridge or just the block to a machine shop. It will only take them a minute to get it out...correctly.

pes_laul
November 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
had the same thing happen to me. Is it floyd rose (or a double locking tremolo) or a strat style tremolo if it's a floyd rose just take the back cover and you can see the stub there should be a pin there that you can press in to make it drop right out

player
March 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I am rebuilding a fender, cosmetic and fixing some broken elements - but help - I am stuck

how does one repair a whammy that has snapped off in the metal bridge box, ie, the shaft is trapped inside the bridge box, and cant be unscrewed from either side.... I have the broken lever and handle part but the (screw in part with the thread is trapped inside the guitar... seemingly impossible to get out..) even after taking the guitar to pieces....

Can i drill the center of the stub out (to weaken it) then punch it out? or what?
can i glue something metal to metal? then actually unscrew it normally?
or do i need to buy a new bridge box thing.???

how else could i get it out, i cannot screw in the new whammy because of the broken section

any ideas? - I miss my whammy

here is one for you.
What you need is a tool called an "easy out". The tip is shaped a bit like a pencil and it has steep, backwards self-tapping screw threads on it. You drill a hole in the center of the part of the bar still in your guitar, then manually screw the easy-out into it. As the easy-out burrows its way into the part, it will eventually start unscrewing the bar out of the hole. It's a bit like pulling a cork out of a wine bottle with a cork screw, except that you're unscrewing the part instead of just pulling it straight out like a cork.

I would take the big piece of the bar to your local hardware store and explain to them exactly what happened. They can recommend the right size drill bit and easy-out tool for the job and clarify any questions you might have that would be easier to answer in person.Please take note:if you are not a DIY type please seek advice from a qualified technician that is