PDA

View Full Version : Blues Shuffle Lesson

Robert
November 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Here is a blues shuffle lesson for you.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-61.php

I have started using Guitar Pro now, and I love it! I highly recommend this program. It does notation, tabs, lyrics - you can even enter notes by clicking a virtual fretboard!

People have been asking me for a lesson on how to play a blues shuffle, so here it is. It's a basic blues shuffle in the key of E. It is a 12 bar blues progression, and chords are E, A and B. The rhythm is played on only 2 strings at a time.

In order for you to make the most of this lesson, I recommend you get the Guitar Pro lesson provided on my website, so you can refer to the tab as you view and play along with the video lesson.

Check out the video lesson and let me know what you think -
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-61.php

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Very nice! I seem to remember watching a shuffle lesson on your site before (I just looked, it was the rock/blues rhythm one). This one has a little different feel (less boogie more straight blues?) and takes it a bit further for blues I think. Also, the sound on the new guitar is awesome, and that neck looks sweeeeeet! Thanks!

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Nice shuffle lesson Robert!

Oh no, it looks like I have to upgrade my copy of Guitar Pro (I have a previous version).

Does Guitar Pro also allow you to print of a file with just the notation & tab so that those without Guitar Pro can have access to these?

Robert
November 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys! Tot, I don't know about printing just notation and tab, but I'll update the file later by exporting it to an older version of Guitar Pro. Someone just mentioned to me that this can be done.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys! Tot, I don't know about printing just notation and tab, but I'll update the file later by exporting it to an older version of Guitar Pro. Someone just mentioned to me that this can be done.

Thanks Robert!

Guitar-Chris
November 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM

If I have to give the notation to someone without Guitar Pro, I print it to pdf.

I use FreePDF XP for this. Then you can send the notation via PDF

Robert
November 29th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I updated the lesson and made into a Guitar Pro 4 file.

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
There's a very similar program that I've been using for a while called Power Tab (http://www.power-tab.net/), which has the advantage of being absolutely free. I haven't used Guitar Pro, but I assume this software's capabilities are quite similar.

My favorite download site for guitar tabs, Ultimate Guitar.com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/), has many popular tunes available in in both Guitar Pro and Power Tab formats. Power Tab also has their own download page (http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php). I don't know if Guitar Pro offers the same service, but I'd guess they probably do.

Robert
November 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I have been using Power Tab until now. I find Guitar Pro a much better program. I'm not going back.

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I have been using Power Tab until now. I find Guitar Pro a much better program. I'm not going back.
How much does it go for, Robert? In what ways have you found Guitar Pro better?

Robert
November 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM
59 bucks. About the value of a Bad Monkey?

It's more stable, has better features, easier to use, has better sound, can export and import lots of different formats, lets you enter notes by clicking a virtual fretboard (I love this), playback functions are better (I hate how PowerTab always starts from the beginning). Etc, etc.

PowerTab is not maintained at all any more, so we are not likely to ever see any improvements to it. I'd rather buy Guitar Pro which is actively maintained and updated.

This is just off the top of my head, but I can smell quality when I see it, so to speak! :D

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Sounds pretty good! The price is right on Power Tab, but it does have its limitations, no doubt.

warren0728
November 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM
looks like there is a version of Guitar Pro for the mac now....adding it to my christmas list :AOK:

ww

snoglobe
November 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Thank you Robert. I always find your lessons quite helpful.

tot_Ou_tard
November 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I updated the lesson and made into a Guitar Pro 4 file.
The weird thing is that I have GP 5, but apparently it's been updated since I got mine as the original GP-5 file you had caused GP to claim it needed updating to play the file.

Guitar-Chris: It's nice to see a post by you again!

Guitar-Chris
November 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Guitar-Chris: It's nice to see a post by you again!

Oh, thanks. I still have a lot of work to do. And when i come back home, i often don't have the interest to sit in front of my computer.

But from time to time I read the new forum articles. But not always i post ine by myself.