PDA

View Full Version : Taking Lessons....get the last slot of the day

warren0728
March 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Found this recommendation on another forum...makes good sense. When i start taking lessons i am going to do this!

ww

I stumbled onto this method, but I think it's a nice trick. Find out what the teacher's last lesson is for the day/night and get the last slot if you can. This way if he's into teaching and the stuff you're working on, he'll spend a lot of extra time working with you on the stuff. If it's the last lesson there's no student knocking on the door to get you out of the seat, so if the teacher doesn't mind you can stay pretty late.

r_a_smith3530
March 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
That's a good tip. Unfortunately, a lot of folks areteaching out of guitar shops, and they usually run lessons right up until closing time, so that's another barrier.

I once took lessons froma guy who came to my house. He was teaching at a guitar shop, and he passed my place on his way home. I made a deal that he would stop by, have dinner, give me a lesson, and then proceed on home. It was great, because we would listen to something during dinner, and what he would then teach was related to the piece we had checked out while chowing down.

Today, this guy is one of the most sought out instructors at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. His Beatles and Dead classes are usually filled every session.

warren0728
March 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
didn't think about that rob...sounds like you had the best deal though!

ww

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Great tip... Here's another. Get there early, and you can learn alot just by listening through the door! I used to get to my lesson about an hour early. By the time class came around, I was warmed up and ready to go, and had worked on a concept or two that I didn't know about.:)