PDA

View Full Version : Tonerider pickups

Robert
November 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Someone mentioned http://www.tonerider.com/ to me, loving every minute of them. Anyone else tried these pickups? They are inexpensive but the bees knees from the limited rumors I've heard.

Iago
November 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Only heard good things about them, and some samples (good too). I'd try a set if I had any other guitar in needs.

Iago
November 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
by the way, I installed a SD Broadcaster Pickup in my Tele a couple months ago.. I just didn't read about Tonerider in time. Maybe I'd buy one of them instead of the SD. Anyway the Broadcaster was a 100% improvement over the stock bridge pu.

Highway_61
December 13th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I just ordered (earlier this evening) the Hot Classic Tele set for my recently acquired Turser (below).
I'll post comments once I've installed them if anyone's interested.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/Highway_61/DCP_0958-1.jpg

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Wow, what a great looking Tele! Yes, we are definitely interested in hearing your comments.

Highway_61
December 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Wow, what a great looking Tele! Yes, we are definitely interested in hearing your comments.

Robert,
Thank you on both counts.
I'll try to report back as soon as possible.
Thanks again.

Highway_61
December 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hey, I might be postponing the install, that is, just be holding on to the Toneriders for the future. (I started experimenting with the the height of the bridge and neck pickups on the Turser, and I think I found a sweet spot.) I'll let you know...

Highway_61
December 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Here's the set I purchased. http://www.tonerider.com/tele_hc.shtml

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/72000142/images/19/TRT2Bgallery.jpg

I have trepidations because I play clean, without effects except for a DOD Milkbox, and I am a bit worried that I'm going to lose clarity in order to increase sustain. However, the Hot Classics are what the vendor I purchased these from recommended, so...
I will report back as soon as possible.

Highway_61
December 18th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Well, I'm here to tell you that these Toneriders are superb.
As is apparent in the preceding posts, I had been vacillating in regard to whether or not I wanted to replace the stock pickups. I'm not a modder at heart--not at all, in fact, quite the opposite--and, in addition, I had been getting some pretty good tones from the Turser, especially from the bridge pickup.
However, the Toneriders make it obvious that the stock pickups were only hinting at what was possible. I recommend these pickups--especially as a set--to anyone who wants to experiment. I genuinely believe that you will hear the difference.

Robert
December 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
If I need new pickups one day, I'll be sure to try these! I heard a lot of amazing comments about them.

Bloozcat
February 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I think I'll revive this thread for a while...

I just ordered a set of the Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups for a Strat yesterday. $79.00 a set delivered from Ralph Halsey (RJHALSEY) who posts on The Telecaster Discussion Page Reissue a lot (tdpri.com). He has an E-bay store...RH Factor Guitars I think, and his E-bay seller name is krazybytes (TMI, I think!). Anyway, he was the cheapest, and I've heard a lot of good things about him from other posters.

I toyed with the idea of getting the Surfari Alnico III 54 Strat set, but I couldn't find much information on them. The one guy who did a review on them loves them, but I think I'll wait awhile on them.

The Pure Vintage set though, has nothing but devoted users it seems. So, when they come in, I'll solder 'em in my Blue B*stard Strat clone that I use to test most pickups, and give 'em a whirl. Should be interesting in that guitar as it's a really resonant lacquer finished alder body that makes even marginal pickups sound pretty good.

The pickups read 5.7k-neck, 6.1k-middle, and 6.4k-bridge. The magnets are a combination of Alnico III and V...which should be interesting.

It'll probably be a week or so, but I'll report back.

Bloozcat
February 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
The Pure Vintage pickups arrived on Tuesday of this week. The build quality appears quite good. Nice work. The ribbon covering the coil is neat and uniform, covers fit the way they're supposed to, unlike some single coils I've experienced. The magnets are nicely beveled and polished. The base of each pickup is marked with the k-ohm resistance. Comes with vintage style black and white cloth covered leads. Each pickup is packed in a hard plastic case with a wiring diagram, mounting screws, and surgical tubing instead of springs...a vintage touch that I appreciate.

I'll install them this weekend when I have some time, and we'll see if they sound as good as they look. Confidence is high...:AOK:

Robert
February 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Let us know how you like the tone from these babies!

Tone2TheBone
October 31st, 2008, 09:52 AM
So how did the pickups come out Blooz? I'm looking for a set of Alnico III Strat pickups but I just wanted to hear your remarks about their products.

sumitomo
March 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Bloozcat did you ever try out those pickups?and if ya did what did ya think.Sumi

sumitomo
April 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Well I will let ya know what they are like in a few weeks,I just ordered a loaded pickguard with vintage.Sumi:D

markb
April 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
I was talking to the guy at the NZ distributors (Manawatu Sound and Vision) the other day. He told me that Toneriders are their best selling product. Top seller here is the City Limits set.

sumitomo
April 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I went Vintage because I'm always getting bigger and better,and figure I should start from square one.If I want to drive 'em I'll use a pedal.For 160.00 for a loaded pickguard thats good and if I want to return my fender strat to stock just change pickguards.I told my daughter whose eight save this guitar take care of it,it will be worth alot of money one day.It is a early 90's strat plus.Sumi:D

thekiwidisciple
April 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
I was talking to the guy at the NZ distributors (Manawatu Sound and Vision) the other day. He told me that Toneriders are their best selling product. Top seller here is the City Limits set.
They're great. I have them in my Squier strat and won't be getting rid of them any time soon.

sumitomo
April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Got my loaded pickguard with the Vintage pups,man getting a loaded pickguard is the only way to go.Gunna get the strat a fret level/set up while I'm at it so maybe next week I can report on them.I had a fret level/set up on my Warmoth tele it is about 16 yrs old the tech told me man Warmoth dosen't make em like that any more,He told me the quality of woods has gone down over the years.I wanted to change the neck on my strat cause it's a thim mod and I like the Warmoth tele but now I'm not so eager to buy from them.Sumi:D

sumitomo
April 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I just went ahead and loaded the new assembly in,I like it and remember it had lace golds in it so I need to get use to turning down the volume cause they are a little well alot noisy compaired to the lace,but I like the chime good strat sounds and I will try the 500k pot trick on the lace in my sx strat.For 160 for a loaded pickguard you can't go wrong.Sumi:D

sumitomo
April 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Wow I forgot all about the push/pull pot on this assy.way cool even more different combos and sounds.Sumi:D

markb
April 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Wow I forgot all about the push/pull pot on this assy.way cool even more different combos and sounds.Sumi:D

What does it do, Sumi? Add a pickup to the selection or series/parallel?

sumitomo
April 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
You know what I have no idea?I just put this assy.in my strat plus that I got and it had a push/pull pot on the bottom tone pot and I never new it till I took it out so I'll never really know what changes it would have made.Sumi:D

Algonquin
January 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Revisiting this thread since some of the recent posts have indicated the Squier CV series guitfiddles have come equipped with coils from Tonerider.

To be honest, I love the pu's in my CV 60's strat, and I'm even considering a set on HB Alnico 4's as a replacement set for the ceramics in my AS103.

I had to chuckle to myself when I read a thread recently on how many guitarists may have upgraded to Toneriders from the stock CV pu's... :)