PDA

View Full Version : In Honor of George Harrison

R_of_G
November 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Tomorrow marks the six year anniversary of George Harrison reaching the clearing at the end of the path. As George was a hindu, I suspect he'd appreciate the anniversary of his passing being celebrated as much as that of his birth, so I celebrate every Nov. 29 as George Harrison day. I am fortunate enough to be able to listen to music at work all day, and tomorrow will be nothing but George like yesterday was nothing but Jimi.

The Beatles were my first favorite band when I was a kid and nobody has ever replaced them at the top of my list. A VERY large part of that obsession with the Beatles is George's tone. I believe I mentioned in a thread on favorite songwriters that I consider George to be among the most underrated songwriters of all time. I have most of George, John and Paul's post-Beatle catalogs, and for me, All Things Must Pass remains my favorite Beatle solo project. I also enjoy Wonderwall Music quite a bit, but everyone should know by know I am an Indian music junkie. It is thanks to George that I first got into listening to Indian classical music [like jazz, once I "got it" I couldn't remember what I didn't get about it before].

Anyway, in honor of George, here is some video...

My favorite first...

95LFNe3Uw-w

George and Paul Simon on SNL in 1976 doing two songs, one by each of them...

j_1Zpmh0INc

George and Dylan rehearsing "If Not For You" for The Concert for Bangladesh...

cdvjoIfGViU

An interview with George and Ravi Shankar...

V3l9awv1yhA

:master:

Spudman
November 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'll be doing an all George day along with you and then tomorrow evening I'll be watching the Concert For George DVD.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Me too.

I'll be starting with All Things Must Pass in honor (yes honor) of his passing.

Tone2TheBone
November 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Thank you RoG for this tribute. George's passing is always on my mind and heart every year. He left this life a day before my birfday and I have cried like a baby on this day every year since then, although I know we will meet again! :) George was my fav Beatle and in his own way...the funniest. I usually spend the day fishing but this time I won't be able to because I got a cold...cough cough So tomorrow I'll be able to pay homage to one of my heroes while at home and I can't think of a better way to do so.

Justaguyin_nc
November 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Justa great Human Being

sHtQCUOr4lw

Live on George...

:beer:

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'll be doing an all George day along with you and then tomorrow evening I'll be watching the Concert For George DVD.

Looks like we'll be watching the same thing Spud. Already have disc 1 in the dvd player ready to go for this evening [a little ravi shankar and ali akbar khan with my dinner and then the rest of the concert the rest of the night].:AOK:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/853474eb65c60b8c.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Nice clips R_of _G. I too really love the Beatle's work, and George, the quiet one, is sorely missed. I really like the clip with Paul Simon here. Nice to see them performing together.

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Nice clips R_of _G. I too really love the Beatle's work, and George, the quiet one, is sorely missed. I really like the clip with Paul Simon here. Nice to see them performing together.

I have the two song with Paul Simon on my iPod and they seem to make their way into a LOT of playlists. The two of their voices just mesh together so perfectly, particularly on Simon's "Homeward Bound." As for "Here Comes the Sun," I could pretty much listen to that version over and over again until the battery runs out. As a guitar player and someone with a degree in religious studies, George will always be my fav Beatle. It's definitely because of him that I picked up the guitar in the first place.:AOK:

Bloozcat
November 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM
George Harrison and I share the same birthday. I always raise a toast to him on that day, along with two other departed friends who share that same birthday.

It's still hard to believe that George is gone...

Born2Run
December 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'd never seen/heard that Paul Simon/George compilation. Thanks for posting! that was a good find.

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'd never seen/heard that Paul Simon/George compilation. Thanks for posting! that was a good find.

No prob B2R. Watching or listening to that always makes me smile. Glad to share it.:AOK:

Fingers
December 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
..............the reason why I love George, what a lovely sense of humour.

Sorry about the first 20 seconds or so..............

cdmCjuie8s0

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
George was damn funny. As was John, but George is my fav funny Beatle.

R_of_G
December 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Fingers, that was great!:AOK:

YViPPlvR1kQ