PDA

View Full Version : I want to put Eminence speakers into my amp.

Big_Rob
November 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
The problem I'm facing is that the 2x10 Jensen/Bugera speakers I have are 2x4Ω and all the 10 inch speakers listed on Eminence's site are all 8Ω.

Are the differences in ohms that big of a deal?

Also, the Jensen's are rated at 35 watts a piece, if I go with a 50 watt speaker, what if any impact would it have on my loudness and tone?

tunghaichuan
November 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
What amp are you going to use with the the cab?

Generally a *tube* amp can tolerate an impedence mismatch if it isn't too much. SS amps generally have a "nominal" impedence load so you can always go higher, but you'll lose power. You don't want to go below the nominal impedence load for an SS, amp though.

How are the 4Ω speakers hooked up? In series you have 8Ω. In parallel you have 2Ω.

As far as loudness and tone, the important factor is the sensitivity of the speaker, which is expressed as dB/W/meter or deciBels per watt at a distance of 1 meter. For example if you have a speaker rated for a sensitivity of 100, you get 100 dB out when you put one watt of power into the speaker and measure the output one meter away. If the sensitities of the speakers are similar, the extra power handling is good, IMHO.

tung

The problem I'm facing is that the 2x10 Jensen/Bugera speakers I have are 2x4Ω and all the 10 inch speakers listed on Eminence's site are all 8Ω.

Are the differences in ohms that big of a deal?

Also, the Jensen's are rated at 35 watts a piece, if I go with a 50 watt speaker, what if any impact would it have on my loudness and tone?

Big_Rob
November 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Its a Behringer GMX210 combo amp. I don't think its wired in series, maybe parallel but I could be wrong. The speaker specs I got for the amp arent really that forthcoming with the info I need.

I need to call up Behringer to find out what one of their techs say.

tunghaichuan
November 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance of you speaker load, i.e., set the speaker to measure ohms. This measurement is always lower than the nominal AC impdance. For example a speaker that measures 6 ohms DC is an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will measure 3 ohms DC; a 16 ohm speaker will mesure around 12 ohm.s

It works for speakers hooked up in parallel or in series as well.

tung

Its a Behringer GMX210 combo amp. I don't think its wired in series, maybe parallel but I could be wrong. The speaker specs I got for the amp arent really that forthcoming with the info I need.

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance of you speaker load, i.e., set the speaker to measure ohms. This measurement is always lower than the nominal AC impdance. For example a speaker that measures 6 ohms DC is an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will measure 3 ohms DC; a 16 ohm speaker will mesure around 12 ohm.s

It works for speakers hooked up in parallel or in series as well.
I did exactly this with that new Drive 2x12 cab while I had it open, just to see how the speakers were wired and what the individual speaker impedances were. It's two 16Ω Eminence Legend's wired in parallel, as I thought. Both speakers individually measured about 13Ω and wired togther were 6.7Ω.

TS808
November 29th, 2007, 06:07 PM
My initial thought when you said you wanted to make a speaker change to the Behringer is not only concerns about the impedance, but also match the speakers as well in terms of frequency response.

Most speakers that are designed for a modeling amp, whether analog or digital, tend to have a pretty flat frequency response, so as not to color the tone too much and take away from the modeling qualities of the amp. For example, your Bassman setting may sound like a Bassman with the stock speakers, but may be colored differently if you add a different type of speaker.

Look into speakers designed specifically for modeling amps.

Big_Rob
November 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
My initial thought when you said you wanted to make a speaker change to the Behringer is not only concerns about the impedance, but also match the speakers as well in terms of frequency response.

Most speakers that are designed for a modeling amp, whether analog or digital, tend to have a pretty flat frequency response, so as not to color the tone too much and take away from the modeling qualities of the amp. For example, your Bassman setting may sound like a Bassman with the stock speakers, but may be colored differently if you add a different type of speaker.

Look into speakers designed specifically for modeling amps.

That never even occured to me. Thanks for the info on that before I shot myself in the foot with a potential mistake on my part :AOK:

pie_man_25
November 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM
yeah, these guys have already said what I was going to say, plus I don't generally like behringer stuff that much, their bass stuff at least, I haven't used their guitar amps, but their bass stuff just didn't meet my expectations.

WTVintage
December 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
The formulae for speakers is like resistor.
In series: Rn + Rn.. Rn is R1, R2, R3, Etc.

In parallel: 1 / ( 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ).. So, 2 of 8 ohm will be 4 Ohm.

Never be below your Amplifier output, You will blow the speaker..
Bye!

LowEndWonder
January 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM

Good luck trying to get in touch with Behringer. I heard they are the worst when it comes to CS. Have you considered JBL speakers? I'd Have to admit though putting JBL's in a Behringer is like putting Diamonds on a Cow! Your probably doing the right thing going with Eminence.

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Have you considered JBL speakers? I'd Have to admit though putting JBL's in a Behringer is like putting Diamonds on a Cow! Your probably doing the right thing going with Eminence.

Or as ive heard a bud say a few times lipstick on a pig:whatever:

Fat Strings
January 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
plus I don't generally like behringer stuff that much, their bass stuff at least, I haven't used their guitar amps, but their bass stuff just didn't meet my expectations.

True Story! I just seems like some of their stuff they put no thought into. They just grab a handful of wire, toss it into a metal box and call it an amp.:confused: Just like pie man, I've never played/heard any behringer guitar stuff, but of the bass amps they have at say, GC or Sam Ash.....utter crap! I do have a Behringer 32 channel mixer that is top notch so I can't say everything they do is garbage.....

F_BSurfer
January 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM
your amp should be 2- 8 0hm speakers in parallel for 4 ohm that is what mine is
I wouldn't even think about putting any crap JBL's in it

Duff
March 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have a lot of amps. One is a Behringer GM110. Never thought I'd get one but this amp was very highly rated as an analog modeling amp. I bought it for 98 and it is a great amp and sounds great. Never had a problem with it. Thirty watts. It is supposed to be a great amp.

Anyway, make sure you get the right speakers. I would do an exact ohmage match. I would not change to a different ohm speaker. Plus, you want to make sure that the speaker you choose is a better speaker than the stock ones.

I remember having a problem finding a ten inch four ohm speaker for an old marshall I had. But I believe there are a few out there. You may not be able to be brand specific but have to choose from available brands that have the proper ohm speaker; then make sure it is a high quality, highly sensitive speaker, like 100dB or more, if possible.

It will be way louder than the stock speakers, guaranteed. I doubt those speakers are close to 100dB.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

player
March 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
interesting,didn't the Behringer GM110 have a ten inch Jensen to begin with?all the analog behringer GMX series 110 I've run across came stock with one.

Duff
March 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Mine has a Bugera. No complaints. I'd switch the speaker with no problem if I wanted to. That could make it a lot louder. Right now it's plenty loud.

It's a GM series, not a GMX. The GMX dispensed with some important features like the direct out box built right in and some other things like other outputs.

It's a sweet little amp. 98 at audioallies.com. No affiliation other than I think they are great and have a few nice items that are hard to find. The GM110 is hard to find new. Expensive at some places, as well.

Analog modeling means something. Digital modeling is something different. I imagine my Fender Super Champ XD has digital modeling and it sounds super great. I'm playing it right now, have it at the head of my bed and often fall asleep with my guitar across my chest. I'm playing my Fender Hwy One superstrat right now with a corned beef reverb pedal in front of the amp. That pedal is corney sounding but I like it. It has definitely grown on me. It has delay, the slap type, built in that you can activate with turning the dials just right. Lots of reverb tones out of that corned beef pedal. The knobs work towards each other. Like I said, it's corney but really neat.

Duffy