PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Landreth

oldguy
July 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Check him out if you like slide with attitude!

Robert
July 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, Landreth has got the best slide tone I've ever heard. Amazing guy.

His work with John Hiatt is phenomenal, and his solo work is mighty inspiring.

kerc
July 19th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Landreth is unbelievable. :D

Robert
May 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I just bought 2 Landreth albums. The first one is called "The Road We're On". Very bluesy and with an apparent Lousiana, or cajun-style feeling. There's also modern bluesrock stuff, as well as the old Delta-blues slide style coming out of Robert Johnson.

The other one is his latest, "Grant Street", and is a live album.

Both are great albums, and lots of good songs. The nod goes to "Grant Street", since I think all good players sound the best live.

What stands out the most is his incredible style, tone and playing. He is THE master of slide, in my book (Derek Trucks is also amazing though). He has a monster tone, with lots of gain, using a strat and some delay. He is complete control, and never sounds like he's showing off. Instead, he is just playing from the heart, expressed in such an eloquent and skillful way most people can only dream about.

Even if few of us can ever get close to Sonny's playing, it is very inspirational to hear him play. It makes me want to practice more slide, and it give me such inspiration and appreciation for playing.

Get "Grant Street", and get blown away by Sonny. Oh, how I wish I could see him live! I hope he comes to Alberta one day.

Tone2TheBone
May 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Got Grant Street and it's awesome.

Spudman
May 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM
When I first put on Grant Street I forgot that it was live...until I heard the crowd. Pretty good stuff for standing up playing guitar and singing like he does. Sonny is an absolute craftsman.
I used to cover Congo Square and I really like the version on Grant Street compared to the studio version.

oldguy
November 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hey, boys and girls, watch this when you have time......:rotflmao: :master: :poke:

What if "rotren" had a slide, a Heatseeker, and a Strat???
Uh, oh......... he does!!!!!

4oNFRWXDSA8

Robert
January 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Check out a Master at work....

His right hand technique is incredible. Check all the related videos on youtube too, they all kick behinds. :bravo:

Hell At Home
MUE_KgVgcGA

oldguy
January 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Great, great musician!
I'd put this up awhile back, but in trying to be clever with the title, I don't think anyone responded......doesn't matter......just so some people know Landreth is out there. I think he's the best I've heard on slide. This one also showed his unbelievable RH technique. I watched this and threw my slide in the trashcan....... (OK, not really, but I felt like it...).:rotflmao:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4958

Robert
January 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Lesson to learn from that - try to always have a clear descriptive title when you create a new thread, otherwise people may not find it in a search and consequently the responses are few.

oldguy
January 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:
Will do!!!

F_BSurfer
January 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
No doubt......... one of the best

Steve206
January 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hey folks,,

Say you had an old knockoff fender, that you got for nothing and wanted to delve into the elcectric slide arena?

It is one of those Beer Logo, indonesian made, single humbucker, one volume knob, fenders.

I have already sanded all the advertising off of the body and repainted it.

Where do I start?

Should I think about raising the action? New nut? Heavier guage strings? Flat wounds? It does have the cheap fender trem bridge, but I have screwed it tight, as I was going to give it to one of the sons and figured if I left it loose, he would end up taking it apart.

Guitar is back in my hands and I am looking for a little, low rent, project.

Any input is appreciated,,,

Thanks ahead,,

Steve

Robert
January 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Steve206, start a new thread on that topic please.