PDA

View Full Version : For Friday, and the beginning of December - Setzer Orchestra

sunvalleylaw
December 1st, 2007, 12:45 AM
I had read the recent Guitar Player article about Brian Setzer doing classical music swing style on his latest album. I used to really like his 80's Stray Cat stuff. So, I picked up the CD containing this track on a whim at Target the other day. I love the jazzy chords. Here are a couple vids of tracks on the CD. Welcome to the season, and enjoy!

bKqIKg6qZro

zLziuB8aM2w&feature=related

Audio and vid not so hot on this one, but hopefully gives the idea.
nMXn-6_GL4c

I couldn't find a good vid of the "Angels we have heard on high" track that has the most extended and in my mind tastiest guitar instrumentals. But I recommend checking it out. Definitely mid 20th century Vegas flavored, but a lot of fun. The Elvised out version of White Christmas is a fun track too. :)

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM
Here's another good Christmas tune from Setzer--a rocker, this time, a la Chuck Berry:

tGirb_wgkcw

just strum
December 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Now that's the way to kick off some Christmas music. Nice selections.

sunvalleylaw
December 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
That's a good one Vood. I wish I could find a good recording of a couple of the other tracks, that give the jazz feeling of what he was been working on better. According to the GP article, he has been taking classical pieces, and turned them into swing pieces, using jazz oriented chords. On a couple of the tracks I can't find, you get a sense of what he is doing I think. On the other end of the perspective, here is one from WAAAAY back, before he went for the blonde pompadour look. I like finding this raw early stuff from artists.w0wnRo6TTEU

Childbride
December 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
SVL, thanks! that was great! :)

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Excellent post Steve.

Since you posted "Stray Cat Strut" I wanted to post this video. "Strat Cat Strut" always reminds me of this song, one of the most influential tunes of the whole CBGB's punk scene, "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell & the Voidoids [feat. the amazing Robert Quine on guitar]. I know you have an iPod Steve, the two songs sound good back to back in a playlist.

nUU85sOxZ78

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
He's playin' here in a week. We're supposed to go but I haven't confirmed that yet.

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Cool! That should be fun!

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hey, R_of_G, that was very cool!

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Hey, R_of_G, that was very cool!

It sure was. Though their run was EXTREMEMLY brief, The Voidoids were among the better bands of that scene. Prior to forming the Voidoids, Richard Hell was among the founding members of another seminal band from the scene, Television [though he was gone from the band by the time they began recording]. Robert Quine, the guitar player, was a big influence on me as far as showing a lot of different approaches to what a solo could be, and in the process, destroying the notion that punk rock doesn't have solos bc punks can't play. Quine could play with anybody.

Steve, if the Voidoids are new to you, I def suggest you check them out. I know you like music from that period, and their album "Blank Generation" is among the quintessentials of the scene. Television too if you haven't listened to them either.:Dude:

sunvalleylaw
December 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Those two are new to me. I will check them out! I am aware of the bands from that era and scene that would have come to the attention of a college student at U of Washington in the early to mid 80s. That means I know more than some, but less than a lot I suppose. :-)

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Those two are new to me. I will check them out! I am aware of the bands from that era and scene that would have come to the attention of a college student at U of Washington in the early to mid 80s. That means I know more than some, but less than a lot I suppose. :-)

I can see where geography would have played a limiting role in some of these bands making it to your attention at the time. I grew up just outside of NYC, so a lot of "college radio" stations played these bands quite a bit.

Television is a band a HIGHLY rec to you as they were really the first of the CBGB's "punk bands" around which the scene grew. They have a very interesting sound for a so-called punk band, as they feature two guitar players who often weave very intricate lines around each others playing. I'm not a big fan of "genres" but I'd call it art-rock if I forced to call it anything. As for the Voidoids, they're worth listening to for Quine's guitar and Hell's lyrics alone.

I believe I've mentioned this book to you before, but if you want to delve into that scene and the music, check out Clinton Heylin's "From the Velvets to the Voidoids." It is a very informative look at where that music came from and what came from it. It put me on the path to listening to a few of the influential Cleveland punk bands I had only heard of but never heard before.

sunvalleylaw
December 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
and Hell's lyrics alone.

I believe I've mentioned this book to you before, but if you want to delve into that scene and the music, check out Clinton Heylin's "From the Velvets to the Voidoids." It is a very informative look at where that music came from and what came from it. It put me on the path to listening to a few of the influential Cleveland punk bands I had only heard of but never heard before.

You did mention that book and I have not forgotten, but thanks for the reminder for the title. :beer: It is on my list. :pancake

aeolian
December 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
I ran across this from some discussion group:

A young Setzer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiYmqxz8AU)

sunvalleylaw
December 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I ran across this from some discussion group:

A young Setzer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiYmqxz8AU)

Thanks aeolian! That was fun to see. Playing a strat with a tele neck on it. Interesting!

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Tonight's the show and we'll be there swimming in righteous Fender tone!!!

sunvalleylaw
December 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Great! I hope it's really fun!

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Great! I hope it's really fun!

I hope he brings the blonde and the redheaded backup singer babes! I haven't heard a loud Fender Bassman in awhile this should be good. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
It sure was. Though their run was EXTREMEMLY brief, The Voidoids were among the better bands of that scene. Prior to forming the Voidoids, Richard Hell was among the founding members of another seminal band from the scene, Television [though he was gone from the band by the time they began recording]. Robert Quine, the guitar player, was a big influence on me as far as showing a lot of different approaches to what a solo could be, and in the process, destroying the notion that punk rock doesn't have solos bc punks can't play. Quine could play with anybody.

Steve, if the Voidoids are new to you, I def suggest you check them out. I know you like music from that period, and their album "Blank Generation" is among the quintessentials of the scene. Television too if you haven't listened to them either.:Dude:

Wow, Jayson! I like this stuff too, have some Voidoids (I think basically singles on comps) and iirc I also have the 2 Television albums. I bought the latter two out of order and unlike most prefer "Adventure." "Days" is such a great song and totally unlike, well, most anything. "Glory" is a standout too.

I also second your recommendation of "From the Velvets to the Voidoids." Very cool book.

There's a very cool guy over on the Harmony-Central forums that knew Robert Quine and has at least one of his guitars purchased from his estate after he died. Iirc it's a mongrel parts-o-caster of some sort that started out as a Squier!

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Ok here's a report of the show last night.

Brian is such an amazing musician. He's got the look the tone the chops. He knows exactly what to do with them too. Those loud Fenders were SWEET!

A band named Dibbs Preston and the Detonators opened the show which was cool because they weren't advertised so it was a nice surprise. Great rockabilly group with excellent original material and a fantastic sound. Great group of guys. They signed my daughter's CD and were very pleasant chaps. The lead singer is from London England while the rest of the band is from Philly. I played their stuff on the way to work this morning and yeah they're excellent.

Between sets I got to play the new Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod and Nashville guitars. Gretsch had a rep out in the lobby with a whole rack full of all the colors they make for those 2 models. Everyone tried out the guitars through the little Fender G-Dec amps. Killer Christmas toys there! If I ever find some extra money I'd absolutely love to have one of these guitars cause they play like butter. They are so easy to play, they feel like Les Pauls. Even with 10s on they're so easy to bend and chord. I'd probably prefer 11s on them but even so they still played and sounded cool. The G-Decs were running slight overdrive and the Gretschs were rockin' man it was great. My daughter and I got to snag a couple of Brian Setzer picks out of the demo too. :master: ;)

Brian's orchestra is just insanely good. He's got the best group of musicians I've heard. He even brought the blonde and the red head backup singers! :D Their sound is typical of the big band swing genre but it's just so much fun enjoying that in person. Brian is an insanely good guitarist and his vocals were spot on. They'd do Christmas medleys and originals then the orchestra would disapear behind the curtain while the trio (upright bass and stand up drums with Brian) whipped through some Stray Cats material and a couple of Gene and Eddy tributes...then the whole band came back at the end for a very impressive swing/jazz version of The Nutcracker Suite! This was one of the best times I've had at a show and thanks to my mom for getting us the tickets! They'll be performing tonight and tomorrow in Mesa, AZ and are on their way back to California to finish up the tour.

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Man, we miss so many shows way out here in Idaho. Sounds like it was great fun. I am glad it was fun for you and your daughter Tone!

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Ok here's a report of the show last night.

Between sets I got to play the new Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod and Nashville guitars. Gretsch had a rep out in the lobby with a whole rack full of all the colors they make for those 2 models. Everyone tried out the guitars through the little Fender G-Dec amps. Killer Christmas toys there! If I ever find some extra money I'd absolutely love to have one of these guitars cause they play like butter. They are so easy to play, they feel like Les Pauls. Even with 10s on they're so easy to bend and chord. I'd probably prefer 11s on them but even so they still played and sounded cool. The G-Decs were running slight overdrive and the Gretschs were rockin' man it was great. My daughter and I got to snag a couple of Brian Setzer picks out of the demo too. :master: ;)

:drool: :master: DANG IT!!!!! Someone bring him over here. I wonder how the less expensive asian one I have been drooling over compares.