PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a Starcraft geek?

Tone2TheBone
March 10th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Everytime I play as the Zerg I get defeated. Even if I cheat a little (as a Zerg you're expected to cheat). Are there any Starcraft nerds out there who can offer suggestions? :)

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM
been sooooo long ago..great game.... build tunnels on their lands (forgot which critter does that) out of their radar... then just pile your guys into it... those that shoot from their tails.. (forgot that critters name to) out they come and take the land.. on quick battles.. build as many liars as fast as you can and keep sending those little cheap critters to the other guy.. while holding back the tail fighters... then send a bunch of them too.. ben sooo long but what a great game... Zerg is the best for fast wins... that protos is best for large games (Those zepplens are badda**).. from what I remember..

I have two sons... both gamers... in different states.. so I been through alot of games if they are multi-player... Starcraft remains one of the best.. no doubt

SuperSwede
March 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Starcraft and Civilization is the only games that I play these days... I love to play as Terrans, the tanks are awesome.

Tone, try to build some lurkers. They hide under ground and can cause a lot of devastation to the enemy forces.

Tim
March 10th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Dang man … what language are you guys talkin’? I am guessing video games.

My son left his PS2 here at the house while he serves 4 years in the Navy. I have only used it to watch DVDs. He has a few games, but none that I care for. Now my grandson has the “cube” game. I have tried Ring of Fire and get killed with in the first 5 minutes. But the game is growing on me. I would like to find it for the PS2 if they manufactured them. Anybody know?

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I didn't think StarCraft was still played much anymore.. or Civ for that matter....Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield and Athena Sword have been very addictive for myself and family members... Just about all the Shoot'em ups have been installed at one time or another... A very good game and FREE is http://www.americasarmy.com/ America's Army, another first person shooter... most shooters don't have the planning as CIV and Starcraft and Age of Empires... but wits are needed just keeping one person alive.. yourself..
All these are PC games Tim, least the one's I play or played.. Ya'll got me thinking of this game again.. I must fight the feeling... to addictive to install it again!!!

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Starcraft has a huge following in Asia. Did you know that they actually have TV shows where they show people battling out in starcraft. They even have leagues....
Civilization III has a wonderful slow pace, you can go get coffee and not much happens ;)

Justaguyin_nc
March 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I think Rise Of Nations was the last one I got... Also Coffee pace... :)

r_a_smith3530
March 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Everytime I play as the Zerg I get defeated. Even if I cheat a little (as a Zerg you're expected to cheat). Are there any Starcraft nerds out there who can offer suggestions? :)

Wow, talk about your "blast from the past" and in an unexpected forum to boot. When I was on deployment for Xerox, we used to have LAN parties at night in the hotel, playing Starcraft. I LOVE this game!

You have to get as close to your enemy as you can, without being detected, and then build mucho hatcheries and create infinite sums of Zerglings and I forget the other ones. I loved playing as the Zerg, and you are quite correct, Zerg ARE expected to cheat!

Thanks Tone!

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Perhaps we should have a fret.net starcraft server? :D

Matt
March 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Starcraft, even I havnt played that for ages and I'm young! Lol, build loads of lurkers (assuming you have the Broodwar expansion) and zerglings and swamp the enemy. Also, if you have Broodwar, you can evolve those bat things into giant flying crabs which are devestating against building and land troops, but useless against other aircraft.

I think I'm gonna have to dig this game out again and start playing it. Btw, does anyone play Dawn of War? or its expansion Winter Assualt?

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I havent heard about it Matt, but I´m listening...

Does anyone remember the original Pirates! game? That was a really fun game.

Justaguyin_nc
March 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I had the Original Pirates and got the Updated one... actually..it's not as good as the oldie but it's pirates

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I still think that I can sail to Rio de la hacha without a map :)

I love to play those old games!

Tone2TheBone
March 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Let the games begin!

I knew I'd find someone who knew what the heck I was talking about. :) Ok so far I should get as close to the enemy as I can and probably find some minerals and vespene gas so that I can build a hive cluster there. Ok. Then I also should build a whole bunch of zerglings and make them attack the closest enemys at will to break them down?

Next upgrade the hydralisks to lurkers and use those in conjuction with zerglings to decimate enemies that are close. Also it was suggested to hold back the mutalisks (flying bats) and send them in after the zerglings and lurkers have set up shop. Ok.

BUT...what kills me are the sensors. Terrans have those misile turrets, the Protoss have those Observers. The problem with those is that they'll eventually spot my lurkers that are buried and then they get blasted by Terran tanks or or found by ground troops of the Protoss and killed easily. I do notice however that if you place lurkers in a triangle they do more damage quickly.

No matter what I do I can only get about halfway through the Zerg campaign (like level 5 or 6) before it starts to get very hard and very fast. I wish there was a way to observe my enemy from afar like the way the Terran comsat stations do.

I'll try the suggestions you guys gave, this was a fun question!

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 02:18 AM
You need to get rid of a section of his turrets, that way he cannot see your hidden troops (most of the Zerg troops can be upgraded to Burrow).
When you play as the Zerg (which I almost never do) it is very powerful to go for mass strikes with zerglings. Build groups of 8 for every turret, you can have 4-5 of these groups ready and then launch them as quickly as you can against the turrets. When they are out, insert your flying forces and rush in and burrow a few lurkers...

Terran.... game over.. :)

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Ohhh ok I think I'm not making enough zerglings. I should double my front line. I have no problem at all keeping my hive cluster protected. I put sensors and sunken colonies all over the place...plus I have a bunch of reinforcements surrounding it. I have to hone my advancement skills with the zerg. I just get creamed when I try to attack and end up using all my resources for more reinforcements...thus I never get anywhere. Thanks SS!

The G-string
March 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Make three resources for creating the zerglings and then send them in one group to create mass destruction, while your second group is finishing being "created." As soon as your first group is destroyed, then send in your second group before the terran or the whatsits (can't remember what they're called - - it's been awhile), have time to rebuild ... during this second raid, your third group is finishing being created and you can send them in to attack before your second raiders are destroyed. See if that helps.

Tim
March 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Wow! You guys are talking total destruction here. I am still partial to “Ring of Fire” for the Cube. Anybody know of something simular for the computer?

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I'll try that G- String thanks. It looks like I am not making enough of those zerglings as I said earlier.

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Just make lots and use them all at the same time.. The opponent cannot handle that many troops at once (that is why the protoss carrier is such a good unit).

I wish you luck in your quest for Zerg superiority :)

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Affirmative Commander Super Swede! LOL

Myles
March 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I must say I was a huge starcraft fan during the original and eventually found that I was most dominant with Zerg, but once the expansion came I just couldn't keep up with the dramatic strategy change required with the less and less time I was willing to commit to the game.

My favourite upgrade in the game will always be the attack speed increase for zerglings which is simply stunning the first time you see how big of difference it makes.

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Vital...herein lies my problem with the Expansion version of Brood War. The strategy did change and it all happens really fast. It's almost as if your enemy builds faster than you do when you play the Zerg. I guess the game is considered old school by now but I still play it a lot. I was waiting for the 1st person action game Ghost (based on a Terran Ghost from SC) by Blizzard Entertainment to come out but it never did.

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Well, the Zerg was a bit too powerful in the first game so I guess they gave the other races a little extra boost.

Hey Tone, I bet your Liger would be awesome in Starcraft ;)

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Can you imagine Ligers in the Starcraft world? hahahahaha Well they do have magic powers so... :)

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Here is some useful information on Ligers :D

http://www.tigers-animal-actors.com/about/liger/liger.html

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Holy Felines Batman........is that a real Liger? That big????

SuperSwede
March 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM
They seem to be bigger than both tigers and lions!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Tone
I think your avatar is having a seizure.

Tone2TheBone
March 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I know man...its from the meds that I don't have. LMAO