PDA

View Full Version : Kiss You

333maxwell
December 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think I am pushing the boundries of what is acceptable here, but I started this one last night
and just realized it is now morning and if I really wanted to 'edit' the song correctly I would have to pretty
much start over. So with that in mind, and knowing I really have to go to bed some time soon,
in all it's tarnished glory, I present 'Kiss You' ..

Any Critiques, pokes, prods, jokes, slams or other would be appreciated.

Kiss You
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6029937&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6029937&q=hi

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
Ok ok.. I guess it is safe to assume no one 'got it' (translation for you think the song sucks)..

I get so involved with these lil tunes I have no clue if they suck or not.. for those who had a listen I do appreciate your time.. in the future my skin is tough enough to handle bad critique..

I only post these things to see if they 'work'.. no shame in saying 'Not this time Max'.

So while I appreciate everyones politeness, it wont help me become any better at this laptop recording stuff...

Thanks again my friends to those who did have a listen.. and for those who didn't, I sincerly hope I haven't worn out my welcome.

peace!

Love one another!

SuperSwede
December 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
333maxwell, I like the song and the playing was superb. I do want to add that I found the audio mix a little too "rich" and "full". Its almost like a sound porridge coming from the speakers.. too much happening at the same time (from 0:33 and forward). I hope that I wasnt too critical, I did like the arrangement! :)

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
333maxwell, I like the song and the playing was superb. I do want to add that I found the audio mix a little too "rich" and "full". Its almost like a sound porridge coming from the speakers.. too much happening at the same time (from 0:33 and forward). I hope that I wasnt too critical, I did like the arrangement! :)

too critical?? Never.. I love the feedback.

'Sound porrige'.. that was worth creating the song for right there..

I know I know.. it's a lot in the mix.. my weak point.. *ack*...

Thanks a bazillion for the time and the thoughts.. very kind of you!

SuperSwede
December 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
too critical?? Never.. I love the feedback.

'Sound porrige'.. that was worth creating the song for right there..

I know I know.. it's a lot in the mix.. my weak point.. *ack*...

Thanks a bazillion for the time and the thoughts.. very kind of you!

No problems... Glad to help out :)
Your arrangements/songs would benefit a lot from a more "naked" sound.

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
No problems... Glad to help out :)

Thanks.. I probably am overcompensating for my last two songs which were done totaly dry.. it's like I start doing stuff just because 'i can'..

Thanks for the reality check my friend!

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

I agree with S.S. here. Max, I think you get a very good guitar tone on this recording, but in a lot of instances it kind of disappears into the mix [particularly when you are playing the same lines as the sax]. It'd def be worth trying to remix to give the guitar more presence in the mix. Overall, I like where you are going with it, and am interested to hear your stuff develop as you grow more comfortable with recording. I def think you are headed in an interesting direction musically.

aeolian
December 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
OK, finally got a chance to listen.

First, I think this song has a lot of potential. Second, I do agree that about the porridge comment. May I suggest having the sax and the guitar play counter to each other rather than together? Maybe it's just me, but the drum sounds somewhat out of place, but I don't know squat about drumming so I don't even know what I can say about it.

Even as it is, it is far better than what I can normally come up with.

SuperSwede
December 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks.. I probably am overcompensating for my last two songs which were done totaly dry.. it's like I start doing stuff just because 'i can'..

Thanks for the reality check my friend!

Well, I dont mean "dry" as no effects... why dont you try to record the same song with fewer instruments, the sax and guitar sounds is pretty full sounding so perhaps you could skip some of the backing instruments? Also try to cut down some bass and mid as well. I bet that it will sound brilliant!

Justaguyin_nc
December 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'll agree, it's a busy mix... But Max.. I really enjoy your sax playing..always fills a song.. the right way.. keep polishing this one..its a good mix...

:beer:

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
I agree with S.S. here. Max, I think you get a very good guitar tone on this recording, but in a lot of instances it kind of disappears into the mix [particularly when you are playing the same lines as the sax]. It'd def be worth trying to remix to give the guitar more presence in the mix. Overall, I like where you are going with it, and am interested to hear your stuff develop as you grow more comfortable with recording. I def think you are headed in an interesting direction musically.

Thanks R&G.. one of my obstacles is I am deaf in my right ear.. I wear out a lot of headphones swapping them back and forth from right to left so my left ear can kind of figuring out what is going on.. as a result using monitors doesn't work so well for me either..

I will keep plugging away.. thanks for the assesment and the support.. appreciate it a LOT!

thanks!

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
OK, finally got a chance to listen.

First, I think this song has a lot of potential. Second, I do agree that about the porridge comment. May I suggest having the sax and the guitar play counter to each other rather than together? Maybe it's just me, but the drum sounds somewhat out of place, but I don't know squat about drumming so I don't even know what I can say about it.

Even as it is, it is far better than what I can normally come up with.

You have to admit, the 'sound porridge' comment was worth the price of admission.. if I knew then what I know now, I would of NAMED the song 'sound pooridge'..

As for the drums they are 1 hit samples I pulled from vintage 1957 Jazz trap set.. and they do seem a bit out of place tonaly to me.. as I find more time I will try and find another kit to work with.. if you have ever loaded up a blank software sampler from scratch you know it is a bit time consuming.. I could use some extra time thats for sure.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.. I really dig the feedback!

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well, I dont mean "dry" as no effects... why dont you try to record the same song with fewer instruments, the sax and guitar sounds is pretty full sounding so perhaps you could skip some of the backing instruments? Also try to cut down some bass and mid as well. I bet that it will sound brilliant!

thanks.. as soon as I recover some hard drive space to work with I will do just that.. I will drop the new version into this thread in a few days, and if you get the time I would really appreciate another assesment.. i'll try to do just what you are saying..

Thanks again man.. means the world that you took the time!

333maxwell
December 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'll agree, it's a busy mix... But Max.. I really enjoy your sax playing..always fills a song.. the right way.. keep polishing this one..its a good mix...

Thanks brother.. I will keep plugging on this one.. I have now been fully convinced and am 'enlightened' to the direction I should proceed on it..

Thanks a bazillion for your ear and time.. I mean that!

just strum
December 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
I think Zappa is looking down with a smile on his face.

SuperSwede
December 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
thanks.. as soon as I recover some hard drive space to work with I will do just that.. I will drop the new version into this thread in a few days, and if you get the time I would really appreciate another assesment.. i'll try to do just what you are saying..

Thanks again man.. means the world that you took the time!

Heh.. Nemas problemas buddy.

Jimi75
December 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Max, I really enjoy that song. I know from my own experiences that it is very difficult to orchestrate many instruments at the same time. Problem here is the timing, no no not the timing according to the beats per minute, but the timing when a certain melody appears and disappears. The listener's ear must have time to breath, so unisono parts are a better way to get the listener used to what is going on, from there on you can develop all the crazy things going on. Please bear in mind that generally it is important to have an intention with what you are doing, it is not only packing as much as possible into one composition ( which is definitely not what you do!).

Do me a favour and listen to your song closely once again, then delete what you think can be deleted - detoxify the composition first. Also try to get into the groove of the song by only playing the bass and drums, then decide which of the different melodies you have recorder fits the best.

I mean, those great sax sounds and vocals really carry the song a lot.

I like the song a lot and it is pretty professional.

333maxwell
December 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Swede and Jimi..

I freed up a few hundred Mb's on my computer and was toying with the mix a bit.. and I still scratch my head on it.. as any cleaning, polishing or clearing it up seems to zap some of it's overall character..

I'll try a few other things today.. it's kind of a 'walking a tight rope' song and it certainly is fighting me trying to clean it up..

aeolian
December 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM
33, I thought about your song more after seeing all the responses and I want to say the following. When I first heard the song I immediately registered that it sounds different than the typical song. I understand what you last comment mean, I'd hate for you to genericise your song to conform to what's popular.

Justaguyin_nc
December 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
it's kind of a 'walking a tight rope' song and it certainly is fighting me trying to clean it up..

Im with aeolian on this one.. do not genericise this.. polish it..

When I listen to it..I see you center stage.. a group of horns off to the right.. keyboard man sitting to your left with some background singers behind him.. drums center to your back.. and I am enjoying the jazz fest with my bud lite... if anything.. polish till it's played in your sleep..after hearing it a few more times..what could be taken out?

Keep those horns a mixing...:master:

333maxwell
December 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone..

I'll keep toying with it...

It's just awkward because the music it's self while not 'refined' and with all the timing err's and odball mix, is a fairly good representation of how I felt and the message I was trying to convey the night when I did the horns and guitar....

So there are compromises to be made.. I will try and execute them wisely..

*ack*

333maxwell
December 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hard to believe this scratchpad song, about 3 weeks later, is still ranking at #2 and #27 in it's respective categories on soundclick.

I've had a lot lot lot of listens from this site and just wanted to thank all the homies a million times over!

Appreciate you all.

Happy Holidays!

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Calling it Sound Porridge is a great idea.

Clean it up a bit, but *don't* lose that off-kilter, free-jazz feel.

If I had a vote I'd suggest letting the asymmetric groove lead you a little more & swerve toward the ditch at at irregular & interesting times rather than continuously.

I like it, it beats smooth jazz to itty bitty pieces.

333maxwell
December 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Calling it Sound Porridge is a great idea.

Clean it up a bit, but *don't* lose that off-kilter, free-jazz feel.

If I had a vote I'd suggest letting the asymmetric groove lead you a little more & swerve toward the ditch at at irregular & interesting times rather than continuously.

I like it, it beats smooth jazz to itty bitty pieces.

Thanks for your time and thoughts my friend..

As for 'cleaning it up'.. I have realized the song perfectly ca[ptures my mood of the time I was recording (somewhat anebriated).. and simply can't mess with it..

Instead of a 'song' I now think of it as more of a 'diary' entry. I have become comfortable with it's 'flaws'.

Good thing I am not in marketing! *G*

Man o man I appreciate your time!

Happy Holidays, stay safe and let the ones you love know you love them!

Appreciate ya!

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your time and thoughts my friend..

As for 'cleaning it up'.. I have realized the song perfectly ca[ptures my mood of the time I was recording (somewhat anebriated).. and simply can't mess with it..

Instead of a 'song' I now think of it as more of a 'diary' entry. I have become comfortable with it's 'flaws'.

Good thing I am not in marketing! *G*

Man o man I appreciate your time!

Happy Holidays, stay safe and let the ones you love know you love them!

Appreciate ya!
I'm happy to hear that you stuck to your guns & kept the piece.

It's a song & I like it.

333maxwell
December 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm happy to hear that you stuck to your guns & kept the piece.

It's a song & I like it.
Thanks mate!

Sometimes 'it is what it is' is the best for me! *G*

Have good holidays!

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks mate!

Sometimes 'it is what it is' is the best for me! *G*

Have good holidays! ..& what it is...is good.

Anybody can want to sound like everybody else.

Witness the gazillion strat, tele, & lester clones.

Come on people, if the guitar & guitar music doesn't evolve then it dies.

Maybe it should :rotflmao:.

If 50 years from now rich old people are dressing up in

tOoorn Leathers

& tribal tatoOooo00os

to go out to be seen listening to YoYo Ray Vaughan play Jimi's version of the Star Spangled Banner.

Well then shoooot me now.