PDA

View Full Version : My pickups are finally going bad

pes_laul
December 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
after almost 20 years my pickups are starting to not work. right now it's only my neck single coil. my friends though it was a dirty switch but If I put a peice of metal it won't stick while my other ones will. I assume that the magnet went dead. this has never happened to me before but is their a way to fix it. I don't have the cash to replace them so I have to make it last.

Algonquin
December 2nd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Sorry to hear that. Ask you local guitar shop if they sell used P/U's... single coils aren't that expensive to begin with, and you'll save a few extra $$$ when money comes available.

Keep up the playing my friend... don't let one dead p/u stop you!

I've seen many folks here take advantage of the GFS clearance section.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/clse.html

Good luck to you.

David

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
I understand you don't have a lot of $$ to sink in the guitar, but if you can scrape together $16 plus $6 for shipping, you can get a set of THESE (http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html) from GFS. I put two of these (neck & middle) in my Fullerton ST4 and they are an amazingly good sounding pickup for so little money.

Algonquin
December 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
C'mon Kris... Shovel the driveway for Dad, clean your room and do the dishes for Mom.

Think Man Think! There's gotta be a way.

Can I please! :poke:

You get the idea!

ted s
December 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Kris, if you really want to cheap out and would be happy with used, I would be happy to send you the pickups that came out of my Jay Turser Strat. They were less than a year old when I went the Guitarfetish route. Nothing wrong with them, I just got bored as I often do.
My gift to you young guitfiddler. Just pm me your address and be patient as I'm sure the postal service is working overtime. Make sure your parents are ok with you pm'ing your address first, they may be concerned and I would understand.

Ted

pes_laul
December 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
ted thanks for the offer but I can't take those because I have almost enough money to get a set of GFS's I just gotta figure out what paypal is and how to use it

pes_laul
December 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
DVM are those GFS's 16$ for one pickup or the whole set?

Algonquin
December 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Kris, the set DVM linked at GFS is a complete set of 3 P/U's.

I paid that much for 3 black p/u covers not too long ago.

:beer: (Root beer for you)

Ted... I think he's nervous that he'll have to shovel your driveway or do your dishes! :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
DVM are those GFS's 16$ for one pickup or the whole set?
The whole set of 3 for $16. Sounds unbelievable, I know, but it's for real. Apparently these were some surplus OEM p'ups produced by one of the big makers and they wanted to get rid of them, so GFS bought the whole lot.

pes_laul
December 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I talked it over and this friday when I go to my dad's were gonna either order this set http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/vistseblwobl.html or the one DVM linked. just one question, do I have to get a new pick gaurd (because I have a humbucker in bridge)

ted s
December 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Kris, no problem, the Guitarfetish stuff is great inexpensive stuff.
David, ya, shovel my driveway, could have used him earlier, I'm still sore.

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
I talked it over and this friday when I go to my dad's were gonna either order this set http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/vistseblwobl.html or the one DVM linked. just one question, do I have to get a new pick gaurd (because I have a humbucker in bridge)
Either of those GFS sets should work fine. As far as a pickguard goes, you'd only need a new one if you replace the humbucker at the bridge. My Fullerton ST4 is an HSS guitar, also, but I didn't want to give up the humbucker at the bridge, so I just replaced the two single coils at the neck and middle and kept the bridge GFS pickup as a back-up.

Now, if you want to convert the guitar to a vintage Strat SSS configuration, then yes, you'd need a new pickguard. Personally, I'd stick with the HSS setup.