PDA

View Full Version : Squier Strat

just strum
December 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I want a Strat, but have to go economical.

What are the good and bad features to look out for (and not the obvious like the top half of the neck missing).

I've heard a couple of good things about MIM Squier Strats, but not sure how difficult they are to locate.

Here are two Squiers I'm looking at:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301200505

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140185099714&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

The color is what attracted me to this one.

sub006
December 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
That '81 looks mint, like it was hardly played, just hope it wasn't the guitar's fault! I DO like maple necks!

Twenty-six years later, you need some opinions of actual '81 owners. This was early on, had the Koreans learned to do consistent good work by then? Come on, vintage woners, help js out!

On the other hand I hear nothing but raves from owners of the new VM Squiers. You get a new warranty, 30-day return at most retailers, and you get to choose your color!

pes_laul
December 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Hmmm I wonder if the VMstrat has sealed tuners like the 81' on the specs for the VM it just says DIE CAST TUNERS

Brian Krashpad
December 3rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
I has an 80's MIK Squier Strat that was kinda craptastic. Of the 2 listed I'd go new where it could be returned in case you get a dog. With the exception of special series like the 80's MIJ Squiers (I had an 80's MIJ Squier Tele that was fine, and still have an 80's MIJ Squier P-Bass), the MIM Squiers, and the Vista Series (mainly MIJ), I'd avoid early Squiers if you can't play first.

Spudman
December 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
I have that same series of Squier from 81.
If you look around the forum you can probably find a photo of it. Mine is black with a maple fingerboard. The electronics are crap. Feels like a good quality guitar and acoustically sounds great though. Just plugged in it sounds like poop. One of these days I'll upgrade the pickups and pots. The radius on the neck seems a little flat too. It's also a thin neck front to back.

My opinion is go for the vintage modified. I've heard only good about them so far. My first choice would be the Deluxe series (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300500504)though. I have 3 of the Limited Edition Standards and the necks are nice and round. They are real guitars that, as always, could benefit from some small improvements.

Other options if you aren't in a hurry is to find the Cherryburst Standard from China and the Silverburst. Both good quality and sound good with good playability. Unfortunately they were discontinued so used it will have to be.

Listen to Brian too. He knows.

SuperSwede
December 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
If you look around the forum you can probably find a photo of it. Mine is black with a maple fingerboard. The electronics are crap. Feels like a good quality guitar and acoustically sounds great though. Just plugged in it sounds like poop. One of these days I'll upgrade the pickups and pots. The radius on the neck seems a little flat too. It's also a thin neck front to back.

My opinion is go for the vintage modified. I've heard only good about them so far. My first choice would be the Deluxe series (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300500504)though. I have 3 of the Limited Edition Standards and the necks are nice and round. They are real guitars that, as always, could benefit from some small improvements.

Other options if you aren't in a hurry is to find the Cherryburst Standard from China and the Silverburst. Both good quality and sound good with good playability. Unfortunately they were discontinued so used it will have to be.

Spud, that daphne blue deluxe looks awesome.. hmmm.. *sniff* I smell g.a.s!
Have you played anything on that deluxe strat?

Sblack
December 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM

The new Deluxes (not the older quilt top ones) are going to be the "schizzle" when they become available. No one has them available yet, though.

I would try the VM. Many people have had positive things to say about the looks, tone, and playability of the new VMs. Good luck!

Adrian30
December 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I want a Strat, but have to go economical.

What are the good and bad features to look out for (and not the obvious like the top half of the neck missing).

I've heard a couple of good things about MIM Squier Strats, but not sure how difficult they are to locate.

Here are two Squiers I'm looking at:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301200505

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140185099714&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

The color is what attracted me to this one.

How much do you plan on spending? I often find MIM Fenders on Craigslist for 200ish. You can always give it some time and check your local Craigslist.

just strum
December 4th, 2007, 05:08 PM
How much do you plan on spending? I often find MIM Fenders on Craigslist for 200ish. You can always give it some time and check your local Craigslist.

Not sure on the amount. Basically it will be cookie jar money and I prefer a small cookie jar (the less, the better). I was just at the Sweetwater site and they have the new Deluxe advertised ($290), but don't have them in yet.

"Worth Waiting For!
Squier has informed us that this item has an unusually long shipping delay. Be assured we'll get it as quick or quicker than anyone else. Call your Sales Engineer, who can give you the most up-to-date details and possibly offer you alternatives that would ship sooner. We have a great relationship with Squier and we'll receive this item as soon or sooner than anyone else in the country. "

This one causes :drool:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300500523

Brian Krashpad
December 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Oh I forgot to mention other options beyond what's in the OP.

As others have said above, a used MIM Fender is a good choice. I had a used MIM Strat for a couple years (bought in a pawn 4 or 5 years ago for $150, now they're $200-250 used) that was perfectly giggable stock. Though I sold it, there was nothing wrong with it, just needed funds for another deal and knew I could always find another (plus I sold it to a kid from church and wanted his first electric to be a good'un).

When it came time to replace the MIM Strat, I went with a used 90's USA Peavey Predator. They are basically the same as a 90's MIM Fender (poplar body, ceramic pickups, maple neck) but have an extra 22nd fret and are even cheaper than used MIM's, due to the "name on the headstock" factor. Mine was $100 (+shipping) from Ebay. Sounds and plays great, had a couple dings that obviously don't affect playability.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/CandySmaller.jpg

just strum
December 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
That '81 looks mint, like it was hardly played, just hope it wasn't the guitar's fault! I DO like maple necks!

Twenty-six years later, you need some opinions of actual '81 owners. This was early on, had the Koreans learned to do consistent good work by then? Come on, vintage woners, help js out!

On the other hand I hear nothing but raves from owners of the new VM Squiers. You get a new warranty, 30-day return at most retailers, and you get to choose your color!

It's up to $255 with a little over 2 hours to go.

Brian Krashpad
December 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
It's up to $255 with a little over 2 hours to go.

Meh.

I'd pay that much for an MIJ maybe.

Not for MIK.

just strum
December 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Meh.

I'd pay that much for an MIJ maybe.

Not for MIK.

Yep, it's a really nice looking guitar, but it's exceeded what I feel would have been a good deal. From what little I've learned about Squiers and Fenders in the past few weeks, I would probably agree with you on the MIJ being a maybe, but it couldn't go much higher and I would feel it was too high.

I want to see what this closes at - I'm guessing $295 to $305. I suspect a light flurry in the final minute, but nothing too heavy.

Brian Krashpad
December 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yep, it's a really nice looking guitar, but it's exceeded what I feel would have been a good deal. From what little I've learned about Squiers and Fenders in the past few weeks, I would probably agree with you on the MIJ being a maybe, but it couldn't go much higher and I would feel it was too high.

I want to see what this closes at - I'm guessing $295 to $305. I suspect a light flurry in the final minute, but nothing too heavy.

Back in the early 90's I paid a bit too much for a MIJ Squier Tele, $300 w/ohsc. After keeping it for several years I managed to sell it for what I paid for it. Since I bought it pre-internet, I vowed thereafter to always research my buys and always get a good deal from there on in.

And I have. ;)

just strum
December 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Well, it closed at $255. I thought it would have late action because it was two people essentially raising the price a couple of days ago and I assumed they would get in a little late battle. Battling days in advance didn't serve them any benefit.

ZMAN
February 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I agree with Spud on this one I recently picked up two of the new Deluxe Squiers. One in Daphne blue and the other in White Pearl Metallic. I am totally amazed by these guitars. When I first played them they seemed very familiar, especially the feel of the maple board. I pulled out my 50th Ann. Deluxe strat and measured it against the Deluxes using a Caliper. It looks to me as if they took the 50th and used it as a model for the Deluxe. The neck is almost the same profile and is exactly the same thickness and width at all the points I measured. The body is exactly the same thickness in three points I measured. The neck has the same rolled edges and the satin finish on the 50th is a little "creamier". The MIA 50th is an amazing guitar and the SCN pickups with the S1 switch make it a very versatile guitar. The SC101 Duncan Design pickups are very nice and can keep up to the SCNs very nicely.
For 250 dollars I would not hesitate to buy one. I also have a Squier QMT Deluxe and a Cherryburst Standard and the new deluxes are much nicer.
If they come out with other colors I will definitely be buying.
I can truly say that these are the nicest Squiers that have come out of Fender in 20 years. The MIJ Squiers are still the best.

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Interesting information ZMan. Welcome to the forum and I hope you like what you see here. When you have a minute, stop by the The Fret Players section and formally introduce yourself to the gang.

Spudman
February 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Pretty soon there will probably be a rush on the new Deluxe series Squier Strats.
Z Man has shown me the photos of his and they are beautiful and without that large headstock. 22 fret necks and Duncan pickups are great too. For the price they'll be hard to beat.

And just when I thought I was over my gas problem. sigh

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 04:43 PM
And just when I thought I was over my gas problem. sigh

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

As if that thought ever crossed you mind.

t_ross33
February 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I was going to recommend the VM Strat. I was happy with the fit, finish and playability of my VM Tele for the $$. And the reviews and feedback are very good on that model.

But that Deluxe looks :drool: ...

And me without at Strat (so far)...

Gil Janus
February 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I picked up a 2006 Squier Standard Strat - Cherry Sunburst Special Edition. I got mine from Guitar Trader. It was only $200. The finish is great - it only needed new strings and a tuning. The intonation was right on - no issues with the frets. Everything was nice and tight. It has 3 Alnico Magnet Single-Coil Pickups. It has a large headstock. I'm very happy with it.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Guitars/DSC00134.jpg

It is hard to take a photo to show the burst pattern - but it does look gorgeous - and sounds nice too. And yes, it comes with a Mint Green pickguard and pickup covers and trem tip :D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/323247b70837e90b9.jpg

The strap was a present from my daughter for my birthday - it's a Sedona model from Eyeland Enterprises. It too is a beauty. :dude:

Gil :cool:

Spudman
February 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Gil
Congrats on the Cherryburst. I really love both of mine. I do want to do one thing and that is to change some of the electronics. I think the pickups are fine but the pots may need to go. Otherwise, it's as solid as anything in it's class...and pretty too.

One thing about them I found out is to drop the pickups all the way to the top of the guitar and then slowly (1 turn at a time) raise them. When they are low the guitar sounds much better.

birv2
February 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It's really hard to tell without playing it. Squiers can vary a lot in fit and finish. I got an Affinity Strat off ebay for $75, had it set up professionally, and it plays like butter.

The VM's look pretty cool, but the prices are starting to get into Fender MIM territory. I've always looked at Squier as a lowcost alternative to Fenders, but looks like they're broadening their appeal. When they get into almost $300 category, then I start thinking, why not save a bit and go for a Fender?

Bob

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Added some pictures of a couple of mine. The 60th has the coolest neck I have ever seen on a production guitar. I posted that pic of the Deluxes, and a couple of my LPs. The Wine red is a CIJ Elitist, and the Fireburst is an Gibson 08 Studio born date Jan 8 2008, the paint still seems wet on her.

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Zman, that flame neck is killer. Don't ever let that Strat go.

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Isn't that amazing! I was really blown away by it. The manager of the store was going to keep it, and I asked him if I could try it out. Once I had it in my hands I wouldn't give it back! So I ended up with it. I have been told in other forums that that type of grain pops up now and then and they usually save those for more high end guitars. Sometimes you just get lucky!

street music
February 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
The Affinity series Strat that my son has left with me is a smooth playing axe.
I've been very impressed with how great it sounds, I plan to do some upgrades to it someday. It could use a change on the pots and I have looked at some GFS pickups to put in but for what I'm doing in the learning stages it will do fine. I put aset of Fender Super Bullets in it last month adjusted the neck and intonation on it , that made a huge difference when I adjusted the pickups like Spudman suggested, they had been way to close.
I think there are some great Squiers out there and will do the job just as well as a Fender for the hobbyist.

pes_laul
February 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The Affinity series Strat that my son has left with me is a smooth playing axe.
I've been very impressed with how great it sounds, I plan to do some upgrades to it someday. It could use a change on the pots and I have looked at some GFS pickups to put in but for what I'm doing in the learning stages it will do fine. I put aset of Fender Super Bullets in it last month adjusted the neck and intonation on it , that made a huge difference when I adjusted the pickups like Spudman suggested, they had been way to close.
I think there are some great Squiers out there and will do the job just as well as a Fender for the hobbyist.
Yah I've played a affinity strat for the longest time till I got my ibanez. does yours have a humbucker at bridge position?

street music
February 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
No it's 3 singles. My Godin is H-H.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Isn't that amazing! I was really blown away by it. The manager of the store was going to keep it, and I asked him if I could try it out. Once I had it in my hands I wouldn't give it back! So I ended up with it. I have been told in other forums that that type of grain pops up now and then and they usually save those for more high end guitars. Sometimes you just get lucky!

That is really beautiful!! The neck on mine is one of my favorite things on it, but it is a much more traditional honey maple color. That thing is something else!

Duff
March 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
That new Squire strat deluxe is now available at a lot of places and is supposed to be really, really nice. I am considering one. I recently got two Hwy One's from GC for 388 each and really like them but a Squire deluxe strat would be nice to have and set up a little differently from my other ones.

With an amp like the Super Champ XD you can really tell the difference between guitars. I put in the sensitive ragin cajun speaker and think that adds to the sensitivity and revealing qualities of the amp.

Based on how much I like my Squire standard tele, I'd check out a Squire standard strat too, but the deluxes are supposed to be another animal.

Duffy

Duff
March 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm getting a Squire Deluxe strat when it comes in, already reserved, in pearl white.

However, I went to the store today and played a new mexican Fender blue std strat and was really impressed even though it had corroded strings. It was sweet and smooth but could bite when you kicked in the tone and switch selections. I played mostly blues and then played a Squire Affinity strat. The Affinity was not in the same category of playability, looks, tone, or feel. The controls were rough when dialing them and the build quality did not approximate the mexican Fender std strat.

I will get a mexican Fender std strat if the Squire Deluxe pearl white doesn't seem like a better guitar to my touch and ear and eye. I can get a used mex std strat for about 250 metallic red in near new shape but I didn't play it to see if it emulates that same sweet mellow tone the blue one produced.

Hopefully the Squire Deluxe will be an overall superior instrument.

Am I being unrealistic in expecting the Squire to outshine the mexican Fender std strat? It was quiet too, I must add.

I don't really care about names on the headstock, I go by tone and playability and looks and feel; but I have found that the Fender' I own and the Epi's generally sound better than the other brand names; even though I immensely enjoy playing my less expensive guitars, especially the SX GG1 Jr that is a copy of a gibson LP Jr with two P90's and solid mahogany including a set mahogany neck and it stays in tune, just like the ESP's . That SX LP Jr with the 2 stock P90's is really fun to play and feels great, looks great with an awesome really awesome antique burst finish. It is hot too and the tone is like none other. It's my only P90 and I'd get another P90 set up as a goal. I'd like to get a noiseless P90 with the same great bite and power.

Hope these observations and experiences playing some of these guitars help some people who are thinking about getting a Squire Deluxe strat, like I am. I'm really grooving on the idea of getting one and I hope I don't get disappointed when I actually hear one. I'm expecting it to sound sweet and smooth, have great build quality, look great, and play really well; better than the mex Fender std strat. Having that Fender name on the headstock is kind of neat though, I have to admit; but I will be going on the overall characteristics compared.

I think Squires are becoming to Fender more like Epi's have become to Gibsons, in terms of respectablilty. It seems like until very recently Squires had a stigma attached to them, whereas the Epi's have a proven reputation; I mean the Beatles played them. I will back Squire if I see that the quality is consistent with my Squire std tele and improving. I never thought this would happen, but I'm an open minded type guy. I never thought I'd get a fender amp and I now have two and they are my best amps, and I have two great Fender Hwy ones. For me, in my life, things change for some reason or another, kind of metaphysically; certain things become really appealing that weren't a short time before, like my Behringer GM110 analog modeling amp; what a great cheap amp, 30 watts, 98 dollars at audioallies.com, extremely hard to find these days because they have been largely superceded by the more digital Behringers. Never thought I'd buy a Behringer amp but it is great.

I love my Vox Pathfinder 15R though and take it to my lessons, etc. It's my portable amp that I have on standby for a quick grab and go routine and it has great quality and super tone.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

New SRV fan, bought my first SRV disc yesterday, "The essential SRV and Double Trbl". An suggestions on any other "must have" SRV discs?

t_ross33
March 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm getting a Squire Deluxe strat when it comes in, already reserved, in pearl white. :bravo:Congrats!

Am I being unrealistic in expecting the Squire to outshine the mexican Fender std strat? It was quiet too, I must add. Nope! I did a direct comparison when I tried out my Squier VM Tele cuz I couldn't believe it sounded THAT good. I liked the neck better than a MIM I tried and build quality was similar. The American Standard Tele I tried next sounded awesome, but not $700 more awesome than the VM. The rule of thumb seems to be "Try Before You Buy".

New SRV fan, bought my first SRV disc yesterday, "The essential SRV and Double Trbl". An suggestions on any other "must have" SRV discs? uhm... ALL OF THEM! :D:dude: If you want an overview, Greatest Hits 1 and 2 cover most of the range (obviously). I liked Blues at Sunrise because it showcases his phenomenal talent earlier in his career.

Trev

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
RE: SRV - I will let some others (DVM?) comment on some of the more recent and discuss "Texas Flood" vs. "Sky is Crying", but one that people forget and that I think really gives a great feel of the developing, raw Stevie, is "In the Beginning" a recording of a live performance in Austin, TX. So raw, so energetic. I think it is a must have for the SRV fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Stevie-Vaughan-Double-Trouble/dp/B0000028V0

Scroll down and click the links to get a flavor sampling.

tremoloman
March 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I recommend the Vintage Modified Strat - the few I've seen and played in person have just as nice a neck as my American Deluxe Strats have - no kidding. Blew away my MIM necks. I wouldn't hesitate getting this guitar for a second.

Spudman
March 19th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I recommend the Vintage Modified Strat - the few I've seen and played in person have just as nice a neck as my American Deluxe Strats have - no kidding. Blew away my MIM necks. I wouldn't hesitate getting this guitar for a second.

I thought the same thing but the color schemes aren't that appealing to me. They do feel great though.

ZMAN
March 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I have just about all of SRV's cds except his compilations, that are just cuts from the other cds. I have several DVDs of his also. There is a tab book out that has a lot of the earlier SRV songs in the "As recorded" versions. They are note for note, from the cds. Great learning tool. All of his CDs are excellent.
As I mentioned to Spud and Duff, I would not hesitate to buy a new Deluxe, they are stunning in every aspect.
I kind of made a pact with myself that I would only be spending my money on the originals, Gibson, Fender, etc and no more of the Epis and Squiers. I knew it would take longer and I would have to wait to buy them but I was going to do it! When I saw the Deluxes I was so blown away by them that I bought both colors! So much for my pact.
Also today I am putting a deposit on a Vintage V100 Lemon Drop LP. I liked Lev's so much I am going to get one. "This is my last guitar honestly dear".

Spudman
March 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Also today I am putting a deposit on a Vintage V100 Lemon Drop LP. I liked Lev's so much I am going to get one. "This is my last guitar honestly dear".

:rotflmao:
Sure.;)

SuperSwede
March 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I really dig that daphne blue deluxe strat.. post a couple of clips when you get yours Duffy!

Duff
March 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'm supposed to be getting a pearl white one. We'll see.

I still find it hard to believe that it is going to sound better than the mim Fender std strat I played last night. It worked perfectly, smooth pots, nice switch, stayed in tune, looked great, graced with the Fender logo (for what that's worth). But I base my selections on overall tone and feel. Plus I like the idea of a two point tremolo on the Deluxe and the supposedly nicer neck. I love that whiteish color and am definitely partial to it, but the blue is also super attractive.

I'm really hoping I will like the Deluxe better than the mim Fender, because I'll buy the used mim Fender instead of the new one to save money and I generally like to buy new guitars so I know what hasn't been done to them.

I will post picts and some of my other newer acquisitions.

Thanks for the interest.

Duffy

Hopefully Squire is overcoming the stigma somewhat like Epiphone did with Gibson. Epiphones are known to be good guitars, especially the nicer ones. Squires are probably starting to follow the model.