PDA

View Full Version : IT nerds - attention!

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
As I mentioned I got a Sony PSP for my birthday and now I'm trying to access the web via wifi here at the airport. I'm having trouble with the connection. I go through the network setup and the unit scans the router and finds it and the strength is 100% but it won't establish a connection and I get DNS errors. Can any of you IT dudes give me any pointers? Let me also say that when I did it the first time it worked...then this java script setup prompt came up and I tried to cancel that and I think I disconnected my session but then after that I couldn't connect again. I created several connections trying to do it all over again and it still didn't work. I even reset the PSP back to factory default wiping out everything I did so I could start a new connection over and nothing.

Tone2TheBone
December 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Nevermind I figured it out and thanks for jumping to help out guys!

rassen frassen rassen frassen....

Algonquin
December 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I'm glad you've got it worked out Tone...

I'm not sure how many were willing to jump in and be recognized as 'Nerds'... :D

'rassen frassen rassen frassen....' That's classic!

Cheers

ted s
December 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
What did you do to get it to work Tone ?

jpfeifer
December 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Tone,

I use a PSP for some work stuff to demonstrate our product. The only thing I've seen with the PSP, at least the older ones, is that they have a bug in their WiFi setup. You can connect to open WiFi networks but if they use any kind of security such as a WEP, it won't connect. Maybe the newer ones don't have this same problem?

I'd be curious to know how you connected to the network and whether or not your network was open or used a security key.

Thanks, -- Jim

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Algonquin - cheers dude!

ted s - The problem was ME. The browser used by the unit utilizes tabs and while I connected I was looking at a blank page...really one of the tabs with the wireless connection verification page. When I started messing with the unit and found the brower's help function I immediately saw my stupid mistake as I scrolled up the "blank" page and saw that I was indeed connected...I just didn't know it yet. Another couple button pushes and the tabs were switched to a clearly visible page.

Jim - The network I connected to was here at the airport which is an open "free wireless highspeed" connection. The unit scanned the access point and setup my protocols automatically. I know that the only time you can access a wireless network with WEP is if you know the password to connect. The browser is a little funky to use but once you get used to the way it works it does a decent job of displaying web pages. After a day of messing with it yesterday I am a pro at it now. My only beef is the way you have to input data when "typing" in address and passwords for email etc. I wish it were more cell phone text based with predictive text function thrown in.