PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Another Guitarist

just strum
December 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
One of our fellow fretters, rocket, always emphasized the need to play/jam/practice with another guitarist. Unfortunately my schedule seldom works out to be able to take advantage of getting together.

However, this past Sunday I managed to get together with a coworker and it really was a beneficial few hours. I left his house with three songs under my belt and a couple of barre chords. Sympathy for the Devil, an Eagles song (I hate the Eagles) and an Oasis song.

The great thing about the day was getting instant feedback and instruction on how to make corrections. It was a last minute decision to get together so if a little more planning was involved it could have been more productive. We talked today and we are going to pick out a couple of songs and chords in advance so I am better prepared and can take better advantage of the time.

I was talking to the guy today and he commented about how much I've improved since the last time we were together (around my first 6 months of playing) and noted I've made a lot of progress. He said his wife commented on my playing and as he put it "She never comments on his and he never knew she even listened".

Hey, I still suck, but it was sort of the little reward for all the work I've been putting into this.

Rocket, if you are out there - you were right on with this tip.

Childbride
December 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM
playing with another guitarist helps you in spades. let me count the ways.

1) i am one of the Fortunate, who can play with their Significant Other. Shiner is a dear, in that he will play the chords to whatever song i am learning from my teach, and keep me in tempo. huge huge huge learning tool. forget the metronome.

2) playing at Pearl, at the office, or at lunch between morning and afternoon dockets. gets me over my Terror of playing in front of others, and the other guitar players in any of those scenarios give pointers. i have one guitar player in my office, in particular, who has played for over 20 years, who is always saying 'hey check this out, you can do this'

the list goes on and on. :)

Childbride
December 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
oh, and i forgot the EVER so important thing that a newbie like me needs...

you're playing with another guitar player. you REALLY want to play what they are playing, or to be able to play a song you're trying to play, but there's that Beast B or F chord, and they say

o, hey, you can get through by now for playing it this way...

:Dude:

warren0728
December 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
i rarely get to play with other guitarists but the few times i have it was definitely a good thing...need to expand my horizons and find others to play with (guitar that is!)

ww

.overdrive_rewind
December 4th, 2007, 10:18 PM
A great aspect of playing with other guitarists is the fact that you're actually playing for an audience, however small. The great thing is, whoever you play with gets the same benefits - and encounters the same problems - as you. Each guitarist can both learn some new techniques or ideas from the other, just as each guitarist might have a tip or two to share after he's heard the other guy play for a while.

I would also recommend doing this regularly, as you mentioned. If you know you're going to be presentingyour playing, you'll work harder at it when you practice.

R_of_G
December 5th, 2007, 06:15 AM
As I have mentioned before, playing with others teaches you a very valuable skill, how to listen. Playing with someone else is like having a conversation with someone, it's equal parts listening and contributing. The more you play with someone else, the more you develop your ear towards finding your personal "voice" with your instrument.

Guitar Gal
December 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Strum,

Glad to hear that you were able to practice with a fellow guitarist. Too bad we don't live a little closer to each other.....we could get together and jam :rockon:

I have not had the opportunity to jam with another guitar player yet. I'm sure it opens up a bunch of possibilities :AOK:

GG

just strum
December 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
2) playing at Pearl, at the office, or at lunch between morning and afternoon dockets. gets me over my Terror of playing in front of others, and the other guitar players in any of those scenarios give pointers. i have one guitar player in my office, in particular, who has played for over 20 years, who is always saying 'hey check this out, you can do this'

And when do you work?

i rarely get to play with other guitarists but the few times i have it was definitely a good thing
ww

I'm in the same boat, I guess we both need to put more effort in hooking up with other guitarist

A great aspect of playing with other guitarists is the fact that you're actually playing for an audience,...

Jake, I never thought of it that way, but you make a good point.

As I have mentioned before, playing with others teaches you a very valuable skill, how to listen. Playing with someone else is like having a conversation with someone, it's equal parts listening and contributing. The more you play with someone else, the more you develop your ear towards finding your personal "voice" with your instrument.

I picked up on that this past weekend. I found myself listening to what my friend was telling me and then watching carefully how he was accomplishing it. I also pointed some things out to him where I put a slightly different twist on a couple of songs (maybe slowly developing a personal sound).

Strum,

Glad to hear that you were able to practice with a fellow guitarist. Too bad we don't live a little closer to each other.....we could get together and jam :rockon:

I have not had the opportunity to jam with another guitar player yet. I'm sure it opens up a bunch of possibilities :AOK:

GG

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'm there!!!

I'm surprised you haven't jammed with someone. I've read enough of your posts regarding what you are working on and figured you spent time with other players. If you are this far along on your own, you would definitely excel with the addition of another guitarist.

marnold
December 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM
i am one of the Fortunate, who can play with their Significant Other.

*I apologize in advance for my comments below.*

So, you can play with another guitarist AND play with another guitarist.

*Once again, I most humbly apologize.*

Now for something relatively serious: when I played bass, I always tried to find a drummer. Playing bass is about a million times more fun with a good drummer. My main reason for my growth being stunted as a guitarist is because I have no opportunities to get together with other musicians.

just strum
December 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
When one apologizes before and after a comment - you know there was just no way to hold it back:)

Childbride
December 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
;)

Brian Krashpad
December 6th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Playing with other folks is super beneficial. I almost never play guitar except when I'm either at a band rehearsal or playing onstage any more.

One of my side bands actually now has 3 guitarists when we play at full compliment. The lead singer basically plays open chords and myself and the other lead player work out the arrangemnts from there. It's fun to have 3 guitars doing 3 different things, yet a challenge to keep those individual parts from being too involved, so that the song doesn't end up sounding too "busy."

Fortunately, although I'm self-taught I have been playing for about 35 years, and have been in bands (albiet "original music" bands that don't make any money or gig as often as cover bands) pretty steadily since the early 80's, and there's something to be said for learning by doing. Our newest member, the 3rd guitarist, is younger but actually a better player, having attended Berklee, and is a local guitar instructor. I'm hoping I can pick up a lot from him.

just strum
December 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Brian, I forgot to tell you that I also found out something when I was playing over the weekend - I've got guitar face!!!:rockon:

Seems I make a number of subtle faces while playing that I wasn't even aware of.:D

Childbride
December 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Brian, I forgot to tell you that I also found out something when I was playing over the weekend - I've got guitar face!!!:rockon:

Seems I make a number of subtle faces while playing that I wasn't even aware of.:D

[giggle] :D