PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Mode/Blues Scale Hybrid

.overdrive_rewind
December 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I was messing around with the Phrygian mode (thats a minor scale with a b2), and wanted to see if I could add a bit more funk to the minor groove I had going. So, I tried tossing in a b5 - Wow! Now, I could stick to the regular Dorian mode and emphasize the b2 when I wanted that classic "Spanish minor" sound, or toss in the b5 and emphasize that if I wanted more blues/funk.

Anyone else tried this? Know any more/better applications? I'd also love to hear any more hybrid scale ideas.

just strum
December 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Jake,

That must be some of the theory that you referred to in your greeting. I would love to converse, but I don't have a clue of what you are saying. ]

Until I get back to the other section - welcome aboard.

Robert
December 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Dorian mode has a b2? Uhhm, no. Maybe you mean the Phrygian mode?

Dorian mode is like a natural minor scale, except it has a Major 6th instead of a Minor 6th.

Here's a long honking page all about this - http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/modes_1.htm

.overdrive_rewind
December 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, just changed that. I got a bit confused between major and minor modes there for a second.

aeolian
December 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Robert, thanks for the clarification. You see, I'm uninformed enough about modes to be easily confused; that is why I couldn't follow the discussion in the original post.

This brings me back to a thread a few weeks with you and JimP where you and he finally got through to me to understand modes is not the notes I start and end with, but the underlying chord I'm playing over. The page you referenced in this thread actually says that exactly. I have bookmarked it and will consult it when I have more time. Thanks.

jpfeifer
December 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It's interesting that you mention this guy's page Chris Juergensen. I found his page one day when I was searching for sites that explained topics on Jazz improvisation. I liked his site so much that I emailed him and complemented the site. He emailed me back and explained his background.

As it turns out Chris said he is a former student of Scott Henderson at GIT. Scott Henderson is the guy we were talking about in another thread who has a really great DVD that explains a lot of this stuff too.

-- Jim

Robert
December 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
And Scott Henderson is my #1 influence... in case you guys haven't noticed yet! :D