PDA

View Full Version : different than the last one

helliott
December 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Less moody and melodic, more chaotic and carried away. See what you think.
http://www.box.net/shared/3rooyd8xo0

Algonquin
December 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM
:Dude:

:master:

Nuff said!

Spudman
December 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Great job.:Dude:

The lead guitar is mixed a bit too much out front. It wipes out the strength of the backing track. For a rock tune you need that hefty crunch in the background to remain present to keep the overall attitude of the song consistent. Otherwise, super!

M29
December 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think Spud nailed it, the lead a bit back would be just right. Awesome job though, good phrasing and dynamics:AOK:

M29

helliott
December 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Damn. In hindsight, I think Spud is dead right. I was working on the final mix for quite a long time, and to start with the lead wasn't cutting through. I overdid it, though. Couldn't hear it then, but I can now. Not sure what to do about that, other than maybe walking away from the final before mastering and giving it a day or so. Sometimes I get too close to the forest, I think. Thanks for the useful insight.

Spudman
December 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Damn. In hindsight, I think Spud is dead right. I was working on the final mix for quite a long time, and to start with the lead wasn't cutting through. I overdid it, though. Couldn't hear it then, but I can now. Not sure what to do about that, other than maybe walking away from the final before mastering and giving it a day or so. Sometimes I get too close to the forest, I think. Thanks for the useful insight.

Instead of boosting the level just boost the mid frequencies somewhere between 800hz and 2Khz. That will give the instrument presence without the volume. It won't have to fight for the same space in the mix as other instruments.

333maxwell
December 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Less moody and melodic, more chaotic and carried away. See what you think.
http://www.box.net/shared/3rooyd8xo0

That was great.. I liked the singing part the best (joke)..

Fun stuff!!

helliott
December 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Careful what you wish for 333Maxwell -- you don't want to hear me sing!

333maxwell
December 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Careful what you wish for 333Maxwell -- you don't want to hear me sing!

I dunno mate.. unrefined or not, I am a big fan of the instrument we know as the human voice! *G*

Spudman
December 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I dunno mate.. unrefined or not, I am a big fan of the instrument we know as the human voice! *G*

I use mine as a weapon.:Dude: :D

FrankAxtell
December 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
cool guitar tone...I think your mix can improve as far as EQ goes...but once you get those frequencies right ....thats half the game!

stingx
December 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Smokin' playing, man. That was an enjoyable listen. :AOK:

What did you use to record this? The guitar tone is just great.

helliott
December 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Stingx. I did mess the final mix up some, but I was fairly pleased with the tone at least.
To answer your question, I mic'd amps as usual and did the bass right into the recording unit, a Boss 1200-CD. Drums are from the Boss, too. The amp is an old Line 6 Flextone, with a Brit lead setting and Marshall kind of crunch models for rhythm. Mixed it down, which is where I messed up EQing, and mastered it using the Boss toolkit.
The lead is a Strat, rhythm's a PRS. Thanks for the interest.