PDA

View Full Version : Triple Threat!!

duhvoodooman
March 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
My two guitars and my son's new Squier Tele. Just changed the pickguard on my Strat tonight. Tired of the bland old white one, so replaced it with a black pearl guard I got from Stewart-McDonald. Fits like a glove! The new Seymour Duncan pups arrived today, so they'll go on the LP next week....

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/triple_threat.jpg

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Nice 3 Voodoo... Somehow I feel the son is going to have to pry that Tele from your hands...;)

Tim
March 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Nice guitars there VooDoo man. Looks to me like the Tele is still pluged into an amp. I'm sure your son was the one playing it before the photo was taken.

warren0728
March 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM
nice trio there voodoo....you might think about getting your son a guitar too so you two can play together....i hear the squire 51's are pretty good and cheap too!

ww

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Looks to me like the Tele is still pluged into an amp. I'm sure your son was the one playing it before the photo was taken.
Uh, well, er.....I had to make sure it was in tune, didn't I? I mean, what kind of father would I be if I gave the kid an out of tune guitar!! Yeah, that's the ticket.... :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, we (he, his mom and I) had a talk about it last night. This isn't an outright gift--he has to earn it. We've had some ongoing "homework execution delays" this year in 7th grade, so we're tying the Tele to the timely completion of his assignments. He can play it some while he's earning it, but not unlimited access until that time. Will take him at least a month. Until then, it stays in "dad's cave". But I'll take good care of it! :R

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Oh my god are you going to execute him for not doing his homework? ;)

warren0728
March 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Oh my god are you going to execute him for not doing his homework? ;)
and if so...what's with the delays!

ww

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Geez, you guys are incorrigible!! :rolleyes:

Now, 'scuse me while I get back to that Tele.....I mean, Strat!! They're both black, so sometimes I get confused. :confused: :D

Justaguyin_nc
March 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah Know, one of those Micro Amps by VOX would look good with that tele.. for when/if it ends up in his room....

r_a_smith3530
March 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
ROTFLMFAO!!!

You guys are just too much! So Voodoo, my son's white Squier Strat now has about a sixteenth of an inch of dust on it, from sitting unused in my five space Warwick Rockstand. Does that qualify as "squatter's rights?" Just curious, 'ya know? :R

I think it would look so much better sporting a tortoiseshell pickguard and some hot Guitar Fetish pickups.

Tim
March 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Let’s remember that we all where teenagers some time back. Some of us where not the best of students either. I know I wasn’t. Cut the lad some slack and let him keep the guitar in his room. Who knows what it may inspire. Explain to him if the grades do not improve, then the guitar will be off limits for a while. It’s not a punshment not to be allowed to play, if you don’t play that often. It would be like your wife saying you can’t bungee jump anymore until you get the yard cut. How often do you go bungee jumping?

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hide his school books so that his grades does not improve.. that way you can keep the tele forever! :D

Actually I agree with Tim on this. Too much time away from the guitar, and he might get bored with the waiting.

r_a_smith3530
March 11th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Actually I agree with Tim on this. Too much time away from the guitar, and he might get bored with the waiting.

Yes, all joking aside, most educators agree that the study of a musical instrument enhances other learning. This should be supported. Also, if you take it away, he may just figure, WTF, and lose interest. In the case of my kids, I had one hell of a time trying to keep their interest in guitar, and in the end, lost. Luckily, my daughter still seems interested enough in her clarinet and HS Band membership.

I would encourage him to practice at every opportunity he gets. Find something else, like video games or time playing outside, to cut back on. Also, you might spend time with him working on his school stuff. Show that you are interested, and it may just boost his interest. Also, heap praise on when he does well. Like they say, you get more flies with honey!

duhvoodooman
March 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Whoa, guys, easy on the parenting clinic! Believe me, we have no intention of depriving the kid of anything here--especially not music! The idea here is merely to provide an incentive to some better study habits in the form of a really cool guitar. The whole point here is to reward the positive behaviors, not punish the negative ones. Until he "earns" the nominal sum to get the Tele outright (should only take him about a month), he can still come here into my study pretty much anytime and play/practice. BTW, we just had our first "lesson" a few minutes ago. Just some basics--how to hold the guitar, getting the strap length comfortable, how to tune it, the first position minor pentatonic scale to practice, and a couple of chords (E and A) to try out.

We're going to get him started on "real" lessons shortly, so he doesn't end up with all his old man's bad playing habits!!

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM
You have a very lucky son, my little girl got a Reno Crapocaster, but she is only six years old so maybe when it is considered a vintage guitar I´ll buy her a new one ;)

http://familjeliv.se/krypin/evanord/gallery/phpcdfqer.jpg

Tim
March 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Cute kid there Super Swede. Keep her close. When they get older they ten to wonder. I am a father of two in their twenties (21 and 29). I had 10 years of pure ... well let's just say in was tough. But they have come around to being normal human beings.

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks Tim!

Spudman
March 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Oh no Tim!!!
You are the second person in the last 24 hours that has said that same thing. My wife has a 7 1/2 year old and now I am freaking out thinking what the future is going to bring my way having a young female in my life. Should I move to an island or put bars on the windows? I need to prepare myself for this.

Tone2TheBone
March 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Spud - I have 2 daughters. The other day I caught some young kid checking out my oldest after he filled our tea glasses at a restaurant. It was a brief pause...you know the kind...we guys do it all the time. Its stuff like that that you must prepare yourself for my friend.

warren0728
March 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Spud - I have 2 daughters. The other day I caught some young kid checking out my oldest after he filled our tea glasses at a restaurant. It was a brief pause...you know the kind...we guys do it all the time. Its stuff like that that you must prepare yourself for my friend.
holding my hands over my ears and saying la la la la la la la

my daughter is only 7 and i don't need to hear this stuff! :D

ww

Tim
March 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Oh no Tim!!!
You are the second person in the last 24 hours that has said that same thing. My wife has a 7 1/2 year old and now I am freaking out thinking what the future is going to bring my way having a young female in my life. Should I move to an island or put bars on the windows? I need to prepare myself for this.

Did I suspect a hint of overly protective fathers in the crowd? Huh?

I know this is getting away from the thread topic, but since everyone is listening here goes.

Let me tell you a little story about my youngest blond cutie of a daughter. And Super Swede she is just as cute as yours. At 8 years old the boys were knocking at the door wanting her to come out and play baseball, soccer or whatever. Moving forward when my daughter was 12 years old. One night around 2:00 AM my wife woke-up to a strange feeling. You know the kind that mothers get. She walked to the bedroom doors to check on the children. The youngest door was locked. The wife knocked on the door asking why it was locked. She heard a scuffle behind the door. The wife told her to open the door before she woke up the father (that’s me). Finally the door opened. My wife walks in and asked why the door was locked. My daughter explained she wanted some privacy. During this time my wife hears a noise from the closet. She opens the door and there are three young boys in there. My wife asks what are these boys doing in this room and how did they get in the house? My daughter and the boys stated they were discussing the strategy they will be using at the next soccer game. Oh yea, they came in through my daughter’s window. After the three boys left the same way the came in, my wife turn on the night stand lamp. As she was inquiring what the heck my daughter was thinking when she saw a foot sticking out from under the bed. So she tells who ever is under the bed had better come out now. Two more boys climb out and immediately went out through the window. The next day I asked my daughter why she allowed the boys in through her window. She questioned what was wrong with that. She also asked why I did not trust her. I explained it the boys I do not trust.

Moving forward a few months my wife and I were awoken by a phone call at 1:00 AM by the Island police. It seems my daughters along with other kids are on the beach, which closes at sun down. I asked if they had done anything wrong. He said no, that they were just sitting on the beach talking. I went to my daughter’s room and found the screen neatly cut to allow a person to climb through. I told my wife that she needed to go get her because if I did, I would be locked up by the police. The next day I told my daughter she had never cut another screen trying to sneak out at night.

Moving forward a few more months my wife and I were awoken by a phone call at 3:00 AM by the city police. It seems my daughters along with other kids were walking along the streets of St. Augustine, and there is a curfew for anyone under 18. I asked if they had done anything wrong. He said no, that they were just walking along and talking to one another. I went to my daughter’s room and found the screen been completely removed from the window (un-cut). I told my wife that she needed to go get her because if I did, I would be locked up by the police. The next day I bolted her window closed from being opened. A few days later my daughter came home from school stating that the front door squeaked too much and bothered her when she was in her room. I told her in was my door alarm and I better never hear it during the night or find that it was lubricated.

These are a few of the old memories that were not too funny as they unfolded. They are the main reason why I have grey hair and balding. There are more stories where these came from. I still have another daughter and a son I have not touched on. I laugh now, but at that time it was very stressful wondering what was next.

As I stated earlier ... keep them little beauties very close. Pay particular attention to who their friends are. Peer pressure can affect the best of children when there are two or more kids involved. Believe, I know. They all grow up to be beautiful young ladies. Good luck my brother fretters.

SuperSwede
March 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I´m really glad that our daughter has her room on the second floor (no way a young boy can climb up there!) But she is only six years old, so I guess that I dont have to worry about these things for a few years.
Thanks for letting us in on this Tim.

Tim
March 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
P.S. Boys will find a way. Remember we men are really just animals in disguise.

SS –Its funny now, and she really did jot get into the deep trouble other kids have done. But at the time it was very stressful and it is something I won’t know wish on any father … not in today world and crazy society. Boys can take care of themselves. The girls are vulnerable. If you teach them well, they will make you proud in the end.

Tone2TheBone
March 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM
That story scares the hell out of me! So far the only silly thing (thankfully not so dangerous) our teenager has done is go into her closet door to talk on the phone...after she's supposed to have gone to bed. We've busted her a few times both on our regular phones and both of our cell phones. I remember how sneaky I USED to be so maybe it's all coming back on me! The sneaking out the window stuff is pretty wild though Tim!

Tim
March 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Let’s continue this in the "Open Mic" forum under the title Teenagers. We would not want the Net Fret police (who is monitoring our conversation) to ask us to move it over.

r_a_smith3530
March 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Cute kid there Super Swede. Keep her close. When they get older they ten to wonder. I am a father of two in their twenties (21 and 29). I had 10 years of pure ... well let's just say in was tough. But they have come around to being normal human beings.

Yeah Tim, I can relate! My daughter is 16, and the catfights between her and mom can sometimes drive my son and I absolutely bananas. My wife came from "the old country" and grew up in an entirely different atmosphere than either myself or our daughter. My daughter, although a good kid, is very "headstrong." This can lead to "issues" at times.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw the last post. Sorry!

Tone2TheBone
March 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Rob - Headstrong.....yeah that sounds about right with my 14 year old. heh! I referee constantly I guess thats why I have to be the stricter bad guy. Also sorry for having to post here again......