PDA

View Full Version : My first tube amp/impressions

Radioboy950
December 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Well, I finally did it. The GAS got me, and I snagged a 2005 Rivera Quiana 112 combo in custom blue tolex.

Powered by 6L6’s, this 50 watter will handle just about anything...pristine Fender cleans to vintage Marshall-type crunch. Engage the “Ninja boost”, scoop out some mids, and you’ve got some nice saturation, if that’s your thing. I got the chance to push this amp hard with the LP ‘buckers and the Tele single coils. Louder is better. The more I play with this amp, the more I discover it is extremely versatile.

Other great features include one of the best onboard reverbs I have ever heard. There’s also a Vintage/Modern switch, which brings down the power a bit, smoothes it out and gives a tad more headroom.

Since Loud is better, I began to think that I would not be able to really enjoy this amp while noodling around at home, especially late at night . WRONG. When using the effects loop, you simply dial back on the send/return knobs. This acts as an overall “master” volume. Pedals sound great too through the Quiana’s effects loop.

I’ve consulted with Bob at Eurotubes, and he recommended a retube configuration that will really make this amp sing along with a suggested range of readings for bias adjustment. The tubes are shipping now. It’s hard to imagine this amp sounding even better than it does now. But Bob seems to really know his stuff .

Next up: pics, audio clips…and who knows, maybe a video demo.:D

warren0728
December 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I’ve consulted with Bob at Eurotubes, and he recommended a retube configuration that will really make this amp sing along with a suggested range of readings for bias adjustment. The tubes are shipping now. It’s hard to imagine this amp sounding even better than it does now. But Bob seems to really know his stuff .
nothing like a tube amp and bob does know his stuff! :AOK:

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Congrats!!! Can't wait to hear/see your clips if you get time.

Robert
December 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Sweet, I'd like to hear that amp! I hear good things about Rivera. (especially the French Riv(i)era... :) )

TS808
December 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Excellent choice! Chris Duarte is a known Quiana user, and his tone has always been great!

Brian Krashpad
December 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Sounds great! Riveras are too rich for my blood though, unless I were to find a beat-up Fender from the Rivera era that was underpriced.

Radioboy950
December 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sounds great! Riveras are too rich for my blood though, unless I were to find a beat-up Fender from the Rivera era that was underpriced.

I think I got a pretty deal at $1300...considering a new one is around
$2000.