PDA

View Full Version : New to electric..what gear?

Tbone
December 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hey all - I'm a 40 something year old grandad that bought my first electric guitar yesterday. I've played acoustic (bluegrass, country, acoustic rock..mostly rhythm, some bg flatpicking) for years but got bit by the blues/rock bug. I bought a Fender Classic Player and now obviously I need some additional gear.

I know there are probably 1000 good answers to this question, so forgive me if this has been asked time and time again, but what effects box do I need to get started and are there any guidelines for the best practice amp to buy?

thanks in advance!

duhvoodooman
December 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Got a budget figure in mind for an amp? Any idea how much wattage you want/need? Any feelings on tube vs. solid state vs. hybrid?

BTW, please stop over to the Fret Players forum and introduce yourself, so that we may properly welcome you.

hubberjub
December 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Find yourself a decent tube amp with no master volume and you're there.

tot_Ou_tard
December 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Yiiiiiiikkkkesss what a question!

Get sumpin' interesting & play it & then you'll change your mind ;).

Welcome!

Spudman
December 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Great guitar you got for starters. There are so many ways to go with equipment. The easiest thing is to just give us your credit card and we'll pick something nice out for you.

Give us a budget and then we can roll with suggestions.

sunvalleylaw
December 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I am a 40 something too. I am relatively new to guitar and was new to electric one a little over a year ago. My sig line tells my gear tale. I got my guitar a year ago October, and my amp 11 months or so ago. The rest has come since based on discussion and recs here mostly. The amp came that way too. Give these guys a budget and they will certainly help you spend it. But there is a lot of help here for finding good, more economical alternatives as well.

Welcome BTW! Be sure to post an intro. I

Brian Krashpad
December 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Find yourself a decent tube amp with no master volume and you're there.

Depends on whether he prefers pedal-driven distortion to amp-driven.

I wouldn't rule out a master-vol'd amp unless/until he decides whether that distinction makes a difference to him.

Personally I have a couple non-mastered tube amps and a mastered one. I don't have a strong preference for either, it's cool to have at least one of each.

Though here's an argument for a mastered: a master-vol'd amp can be set clean and be used with a pedal for distortion, or be reset to crank tube distortion.

Whereas many non-mastered amps can only get really distorted with a pedal or at impractically high volume levels.

For what he's described a Peavey Classic series 30W or 50W amp would be good.