PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Ennui

marnold
December 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I've really become disinterested in guitar lately. I know that part of it is because of the arrival of the PS3. Generally my gaming time eats into my guitar time or vice versa. I've even considered selling my Floyd and Squier and just keeping the Fender. I know that this mood will probably pass, so I'm not making any decisions yet. I still remember how sure I was that I wanted to sell my bass, only to regret it a year later.

Part of it is the growing dissatisfaction I have with the pups on my Floyd. I never really liked the single coils. Now even the 'bucker is sounding a little harsh to me (no surprise from cheap, made in China pups). I like the way the guitar plays in general and the Floyd stays in tune well. Of course the real issue is that I have no $$ to replace the pups (my car needed $500 worth of work today) until at least February. Lest anyone bring up the PS3, that was an early Christmas gift from my parents for me and my kids.

Part of it is also being stuck at the point in my playing where if I can't play with anyone else, I'm going to be stuck in this rut forever. I really don't have anyone to jam with. I want to start teaching my son to play at some point, but I question how well he will listen to me or stick to it.

Any suggestions for fighting guitar ennui?

Robert
December 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Give it a rest for a few weeks. Sometimes all we need is a break.

Spudman
December 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Focus on where you want to be not where you are that leaves you dissatisfied. Doing so will keep you on course to get to those places you envision.
Want to play with people? Go to an open mic or place and ad or look for ads to reply to. Put your Floyd in the case and forget about it for a while like Robert says. You have others to play. Or just stop for a bit.

Guitar Gal
December 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Sometimes it helps to try a different genre. If you have been practicing that blues shuffle awhile and just can't seem to "get it"....try some classic rock or country.....or whatever that's different from your regular practice routine.

Try something you never thought you would like....and have fun :rockon:

GG

oldguy
December 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'd suggest what everyone has said so far, and in that order.
Take a break, you'll know when you feel hungry again.
When you do, seek out some people to play music with you.
Try a different genre than usual, it won't become familiar and boring.
I'd also suggest easing back into it with an acoustic. I primarily play electric through amphs, often loud....... but when I'm getting bored/disinterested...... grab an acoustic, or at least an unplugged electric.
Discover anew what strings vibrating on wood create. :AOK:

luvmyshiner
December 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Just one other suggestion . . . buy a new guitar.:beer:

just strum
December 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
It's all part of the endless journey, even these moments offer something to enjoy. I'm not an advocate of taking a break, but for many it works. My advise is look for other directions.

And if all else fails, go with Shiners advise.

wingsdad
December 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
...... grab an acoustic, or at least an unplugged electric.
Discover anew what strings vibrating on wood create. :AOK:
Yep, all of the above and Ditto That point in particular. It's so different from your electrics. It's intimate. No dough for new pups, surely none for an acoustic. Any chance you know someone you might borrow one from for a while?

M29
December 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I know when I take a break, one wanted or not... I always seem to come back with fresh ideas. So... I go with take a break and I also think it is good to try something different. This is in my humble opinion being somewhat of a newbie:messedup:

M29

Brian Krashpad
December 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Play with others!

Plank_Spanker
December 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Been there a few times...............

Take a break. Sooner or later, you'll get the jones to play again, and it will be fresh and fun again.

R_of_G
December 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Everyone else's advice has been right on. The one other thing I might add is to try to keep as interested in listening to music as you have been [which I doubt is a problem for you Marnold]. I go through periods of not playing much too, and it's usually when I have been listening to something I like and get some riff or melody stuck in my head and have to figure out how to play it. Suddenly the guitar is back in my hands and then :rockon:

Katastrophe
December 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Everyone else is right... and has given good advice. It happens. Take a break for a little while, but I would suggest not selling your guitars until your absolutely sure that's what you want to do. Selling your guitars for a new model might reenergize you. The PS3 will get old after a while, and your guitfiddles will start calling you again. Until then, they can wait.:AOK:

just strum
December 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Another option (there are many) is play all of your guitars and see if one just sounds better than the rest. I was talking to Wingsdad today and mentioned how my ARC300 just seems to sound so sweet and rings out. I'd been playing the Epi Dot as my primary and favorite that the ARC300 got little play. I hardly put the ARC down this weekend and when I did it was to play the Epi SG, but the ARC just re-energized me.

Maybe one has that special tone that lets you be creative.

Brian Krashpad
December 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Another option (there are many) is play all of your guitars and see if one just sounds better than the rest. I was talking to Wingsdad today and mentioned how my ARC300 just seems to sound so sweet and rings out. I'd been playing the Epi Dot as my primary and favorite that the ARC300 got little play. I hardly put the ARC down this weekend and when I did it was to play the Epi SG, but the ARC just re-energized me.

Maybe one has that special tone that lets you be creative.

This is why I intentionally rotate amongst my guitars.

It's also a great excuse to have a lot of them.

:AOK:

http://a2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/m_c80fa4f78e59c1051d272c60b5fd89f1.jpg

marnold
December 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Well, it seems to be breaking already. I was noodling around on my Floyd and Squier last night. What seems to have turned the proverbial tide for me was the new Guitar World with Little Wing in it. I may try to learn some of it. I spent last night tuning the Floyd down a half step for both Jimi and SRV stuff. I'm debating if the 10s I have on there now provide enough tension for me with an Eb tuning and a floating Floyd. The lower three strings are too floppy, so I'll at least go with a 10-52 set if I want to keep it here. I may try an 11-52 set. I've got 10-52s on my Squier tuned to Eb. The upper three strings are fine with a fixed bridge. A floating bridge will be different.

Another thing that kind of got me going was listening to a bit of the Hawk album. In the Metal Method DVDs, Doug Marks teaches the rhythm part for their song "Tell the Truth." Listening to that song made me want to fire up the DVDs. Plus, I had been playing unplugged a lot. You kind of lose what is fun about playing electric that way. Dave Barry says that playing an unamplified electric guitar is like strumming a picnic table.

So for the time being, I'm going to be giving another bash at "Scuttle Buttin'" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Thanks for talking me down :)

pes_laul
December 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I'm a little late on this one but when I feel like I'm in a rut I buy a new CD of someone you don't really know of that much and listen alot then If you like it learn it I knew a lot of newer bands like the foo fighters have some interesting licks in their music.

just strum
December 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yep, all of the above and Ditto That point in particular. It's so different from your electrics. It's intimate. No dough for new pups, surely none for an acoustic. Any chance you know someone you might borrow one from for a while?

The video clips and listening to Ray LaMontagne Trouble CD got me interested in my acoustic again. I pulled out the J28SDL and I actually managed to easily maneuver around the fretboard. Although Ray LaMontagne songs are not challenging, they are nice songs for a beginner.

Although I'm not in a rut, it was nice to grab the acoustic. The other thing is the benefit of the convenience. I really wasn't in the mood to play, but this got the ole guitar juices flowing.

Unfortunately it also got the GAS going as I started thinking about a better acoustic:whatever:

jpfeifer
December 17th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Marnold,

I can't tell you how many times I've been in this same place, where I feel I have lost the spark of playing and all of the fun is gone.

All I can tell you is that it passes. Most of the time when this happens it's usually because I've stopped growing as a musician and need some new challenges to work on. I get bored with what I play from time to time. Sometimes you really do need to take a break from the guitar. But here are some ideas for things that can help re-ignite the spark:
- Try to learn some new tunes.
- Try to learn a new skill with your guitar playing, such as exploring slide, or work on your singing, etc.
- Buy some instructional videos for guitar and work on them.
- Write some tunes of your own and record them.
- Get a new guitar. Yes, I know, it sounds like GAS strikes again, but it's true. A new axe can get you excited about playing again especially if it brings a new sound to your arsenal that you don't have already. If you're current guitar isn't working out, you can try selling it on Ebay, etc. I've had good luck selling my used equipment on Ebay.

-- Jim

marnold
December 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM
By the time I originally made my post, I hadn't played much (if anything at all) in almost a month. The last time I did something like that, I ended up not playing for over half a year. I didn't want to go through that again because I realized what a PITA it is to get my fingers back up to speed again.

I wish my guitar heroes were guys who played songs that are easy to learn. When your heroes have last names like Lynch, Rhoads, and Vaughan, there's a major learning curve before you get anywhere. I've decided that I need to make a New Year's resolution and just decide that this year, come Hell or high water, I'm going to learn one of my heroes' songs. Here's what I've come up with (in no particular order):

Dokken, "In My Dreams"
Ozzy, "Crazy Train"
SRV, "Scuttle Buttin'"
Hendrix, "Little Wing"

I'd have a head start on the first two since I know all the rhythm parts already. I'd need to learn the solos and fills, which would be the hardest part of course. I've been bashing away at the first part of "Scuttle Buttin'" for what seems like an eternity but can't get it up to 160 bpm. "Little Wing" has always been a favorite and Guitar World has the transcription and video demo of it. That would probably take the longest since I know just about nothing of it. Along the way I probably should also finish learning the solo to "Paranoid."

sunvalleylaw
December 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a worthy challenge. After learning a bunch of new barre chords and rhythm parts on Christmas tunes, my work life has really ramped up (always does this time of year, what with lawyering and ski instruction/coaching). Also, the kids have had evening Christmas shows, and the usual extra social functions, etc. are in full swing, so my evenings are more booked right now than usual. I am taking it easy for a couple weeks, just playing when I can for a enjoyment, and also want to tackle some hero songs after the first of the year. Til then, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

just strum
December 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a worthy challenge. After learning a bunch of new barre chords and rhythm parts on Christmas tunes, my work life has really ramped up (always does this time of year, what with lawyering and ski instruction/coaching). Also, the kids have had evening Christmas shows, and the usual extra social functions, etc. are in full swing, so my evenings are more booked right now than usual. I am taking it easy for a couple weeks, just playing when I can for a enjoyment, and also want to tackle some hero songs after the first of the year. Til then, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

All those activities with the kids are great and I wouldn't trade any of the events for the world, but boy I do kick myself for not starting to play at a young age. Oh well, can't turn back the hands of time and someday I will be 60 and it will be either 60 and not know how to play or 60 and know how to play. I guess I'll just have to make up for my lack of desire when I was young.:)

Besides, I can always do the rest home circuit, I just hope they don't throw their bras at me (I guess at a rest home that would include the guys too).

pes_laul
December 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
All those activities with the kids are great and I wouldn't trade any of the events for the world, but boy I do kick myself for not starting to play at a young age. Oh well, can't turn back the hands of time and someday I will be 60 and it will be either 60 and not know how to play or 60 and know how to play. I guess I'll just have to make up for my lack of desire when I was young.:)

Besides, I can always do the rest home circuit, I just hope they don't throw their bras at me (I guess at a rest home that would include the guys too).
yeah I guess it's kind of a good thing I started when I was 8 then