PDA

View Full Version : Andy Summers Tribute Telecaster

Born2Run
December 7th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I saw one of these on sale at Guitar Center in NYC for $10,499!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thwap:

That's just absurd. He wasn't even the most famous member of the Police. And he never even played this actual guitar. It's a tribute guitar. Seems outrageous to me. Thoughts?

Spudman
December 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wow, you could buy 5 Musicman Petrucci guitars or 4-5 Parker Flys for that price. Pass.

WackyT
December 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
How 'bout a copy of Blackie for $25,000 then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320192641512

Iago
December 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM
thats for collectors, not musicians.

Iago
December 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
right now I`m watching The Police`s concert in Rio from yesterday on tv and Andy Summers is playing the guitar in question (as well as a red-60`s custom shop like strat)... doesn`t sound all that great to me.

Born2Run
December 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM

If an Andy Summers REPLICA/TRIBUTE guitar is worth $10k, a Blackie Tribute should be worth at least $100k.

SuperSwede
December 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, you could buy 5 Musicman Petrucci guitars or 4-5 Parker Flys for that price. Pass.

+1

Parker Fly = Mmmm...

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hmmm... some interesting takes on this posted so far.

I've always been a Police fan, and was lucky enough to see them on three occasions. This was a band that I considered the 'Whole' to be greater than the sum of its parts. Each went on to do their own thing. Sting did the 'Sting' stuff, Stewart went on to compose musical scores including the short lived but very cool series 'Dead Like Me'. And I found it interesting that Andy remarried his second wife who he had divorced during the Police Years. Fame and fortune is nice and all, but not at the expense of a family... good for him for figuring this one out in time.

As for that much money for one guitar?... I don't think so.

Would I jump at the chance to play one?... Oh ya baby!

Peace...

Jimi75
December 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM
:thwap:

Adrian30
December 12th, 2007, 07:18 AM
$10,499...$25,000? Senseless!

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM
thats for collectors, not musicians.

Or for those with a love of colorful yule logs.

So cool when the strings snap & curl & start to melt dribbling their stringy goodness over the blazing fretboard. ;)

If I had the dough, there'd be joy down in Whoville.

jpfeifer
December 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I don't see the justification for the price tag either. As someone mentioned, this is a guitar built for collectors, not musicians.

Even if you could afford to buy a guitar like this would you really want to take it out of your house to go gig with it? If not, then I can't see why someone would want one, but that's just me.

-- Jim

fendermojoman
December 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I've never really undersood this tribute phenominum or the relic pricing. I guess if you can get it (and they do!) Go for it!

Can you imagine a 1973 re-issue Glen Frey Buick Regal relic tribute thats all dented, rusty, engine smoking with dry rotted seats and cracked steering wheel for sale for $183,932?? :thwap: :whatever:

just strum
December 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM

As long as you are spending money

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sXN33024-71/

Every time there is a sale of a tribute guitar, there has to be a few people laughing their a$$es off.

wingsdad
December 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
That Setzer Gretsch is really nuts at $24G's. All those . .. and the SRV Strat, Gibson's 'aged' finishes on reissue SG's and the like.

Somethin' tells me that the phenomenon of this type of artificially aged and/or tribute ax started early on a Monday morning at the [insert: Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, other mfr] when some hung over drone on the line oversprayed or oversanded or overdrilled or a router slipped, and while the screwed up ax was on the belt destined for the Factory Second markdown heap, some Harvard MBA Marketing Genius, perhaps a long-lost descendant of P.T. Barnum, spotted it, had an epiphanous moment and invented a means to turn the accident into a cash cow.

Ger the man
December 18th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Im a huge Summers fan and it was him that influenced me to buy my last guitar (deluxe tele) but there is no way i would pay that much for what is essentially the same thing! I would love to know how much the profit margin is?

marnold
December 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Im a huge Summers fan and it was him that influenced me to buy my last guitar (deluxe tele) but there is no way i would pay that much for what is essentially the same thing! I would love to know how much the profit margin is?
I'm sure that there's a healthy markup. Conversely, when you have to have master craftsmen meticulously damaging a guitar to look exactly like the original, well, that's going to cost a boatload of money. Plus, the laws of economics demand that when something is rare and in demand, the price goes up. If Fender had a couple hundred Blackies that they couldn't move, you'd see the price plummet. As it is, these things sell out before most people could even see one.

Personally, I think this is proof that my fellow Americans often have more money than brains, but that's just me.