PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite winter brews?

Radioboy950
December 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Now that colder winter weather is here, it’s nice to sip on a winter warmer . For you speciality beer guys (and gals), here are a few of my favorites.
Care to share yours??

*Old Crustacean Barley wine (Rouge Ales)
*Stille Nacht (De Dolle Brouwers)
*La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue)
*Anything from Dogfish Head

Cheers!:beer:

Robert
December 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
How about some glögg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine#Gl.C3.B6gg)? Good stuff! :AOK:

Spudman
December 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I'm afraid I don't do warm drinks so it's regular cold Heineken or room temp Guinness for me just like the rest of the year.

Jimi75
December 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Jagertee.

Yeah, take some Schnaps and tea, or even better some Jägermeister with tea. :thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
December 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Now that colder winter weather is here, it’s nice to sip on a winter warmer . For you speciality beer guys (and gals), here are a few of my favorites.
Care to share yours??

*Old Crustacean Barley wine (Rouge Ales)
*Stille Nacht (De Dolle Brouwers)
*La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue)
*Anything from Dogfish Head

Cheers!:beer:

Nice list there!

Add:

Delerium Tremens
Victory Storm King Imperial Stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

marnold
December 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Gadzooks, Tot and Radio, those are some excellent suggestions. Any thread that mentions DTs is a good thread in my book. My favorite probably is Paulaner Salvator. I loved the Winter Warmer (and most of the other beers) from Sherlock's Home in Minnetonka, MN, but sadly it closed. Bigfoot is another good choice, especially if it's had a year or two to age. Any Barleywine, preferably more British-style than the more hoppy Americans, Doppelbock, or Imperial Stout is right up my street on these chilly days.

Radioboy950
December 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Oh man, how could I forget…
I’ll be breaking into my stash of Thomas Hardy and various vintages of the J.W. Lees Harvest Ale I’ve been aging for about a decade. OH BABY!!

just strum
December 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Timely thread. I called my wife about 10:00 this morning and told her we need to get out of the house. I had a lousy week at work, things have been a bit chaotic at home. All I wanted to do is just pick her up and go to dinner. I told her not to invite the kids and we would go to the local tavern for a bite.

Well, I am not suppose to drink, but still drank four Irish Coffees. They were strong, tasted good and hit the spot. Now seeing that I haven't had a drink in about a year and really haven't been a drinker since my mid twenties, they quickly hit me.

So I would have to say Irish Coffee.:messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

edit: my abstinence from alcohol is medication related - I just didn't want anyone to think I fell off the wagon.

marnold
December 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Oh man, how could I forget…
I’ll be breaking into my stash of Thomas Hardy and various vintages of the J.W. Lees Harvest Ale I’ve been aging for about a decade. OH BABY!!
Ooh, can I come over? Pretty please?

hubberjub
December 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
You've got to love the Thomas Hardy and Bigfoot. While we're on the topic of Sierra Nevada I must mention that their porter is outstanding. I was at a bar last year and had an interesting winter beverage. It was half raspberry lambic and half Youngs Chocolate Stout. I wouldn't want to drink a whole pint of it but the 10oz glass went down pretty smooth.

Spudman
December 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Jagertee.

Yeah, take some Schnaps and tea, or even better some Jägermeister with tea. :thwap:

Now that I can do. :AOK:

Ro3b
December 8th, 2007, 07:45 AM
How about some glögg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine#Gl.C3.B6gg)? Good stuff! :AOK:

I make it like this (from a recipe in an old issue of Saveur):

2 bottles of tawny port
1 bottle of brandy
1 bottle of rye whiskey
1 cup raisins
1 cup blanched almonds
zest of an orange
10 cloves
10 cardamom pods (lightly smashed)
2 cinnamon sticks

Tie the orange zest, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon in a cheesecloth.
Put everything into a nonreactive pot, gently heat to almost-simmering
(do not boil), and keep it there for 15-20 minutes. Set it on fire for
a minute or so if you're feeling theatrical. Collect your guests' car
keys before serving.

Robert
December 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Ro3b, now that is a Holiday drink! That's what I'm talkin' bout!

SuperSwede
December 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Oh yes.. I had some warm glögg with a small addition of vanilla vodka last night. Fantastic Stuff! +1

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have not tried some of the more hard to find ones you guys mention, but did taste some good ones on tap at a Tacoma tav when I was there for thanksgiving. I remember that the Maritime Pacific one, . . . Jolly Roger ale I believe,. . . struck my fancy. As with most Maritime Pacific beers, it punched a wollop. Of the bottle releases available around here, Jubelale is my favorite so far. That Deschutes brewing place gets a lot of my business. Salut!