PDA

View Full Version : I'm not getting a carvin bolt kit

kiteman
December 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I may later but I've met this luthier on another forum who's building me a "no frills" steinberger style guitar for $900. No tremolo, no profiling, and no fancy paint job. It's called a BD model and named after Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. It's being made to my specs and I can't wait for it to be finished. :)

He's doing a photoshoots of the project in progress on the forum and on his site so here's a couple.

oldguy
December 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
That looks really nice. What wood/woods are being used for the neck/body/fretboard? Set-neck or bolt-on?
Have you decided on pickups yet?
Fretter's need to keep up on these things, ya know. :D
Congrat's on your (soon to be) new axe!!!:AOK:

kiteman
December 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM
One piece mahogany body (lucky me he says), bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, dimarzio D-activators pups (my choice), sperzel trimlok tuners, fixed bridge with string-saver saddles, graphtech nut, abalone fret markers (dots), and abalone chronos on headstock. Also got a signature from Buck Dharma (my idol, thanks Buck). I guess that makes it a signature guitar. :beer:

Here's a pic of Buck playing with Sir Paul's "no frills" BD model. He just turned 60 and he's still touring and jammin'. While BOC's still a jammin' band I missed the original members. There's a joke going now that the band is "Two Oyster Cult" because only Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom remained the originals.

M29
December 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Looks like a sweeet project kiteman with a Buck sig and all :AOK:

M29

kiteman
December 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM
He's almost done. He just gotta cut the slots in the nut and install the strings. Then a setup. :)

The back of the guitar shows copper shielding and all the wiring done. The front looks sweet. This luthier is a pro I must say.

:Dude:

M29
December 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Looks like top notch work there kiteman, oh I just love that mahogany:rockon: I bet ya just can't wait :rockon:

M29

kiteman
December 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I'm practically drooling but I want the xmas bs over with before he ship it. I'm sure he's thinking of the same thing as he's worried about shipping. Sometimes he delivered the guitars personally but I'm too far away for that. He takes pride in his guitars and I admire that. He had some hard blows this year that included the death of his wife and I think he's handling it very well. He just added his wife's sig to his sig on the guitars including mine.

By the way he started a new model call vegas vulcan and it's a flying z guitar. The way he makes it, it's terrific. Check out his site but he's not cheap.

http://www.jchluthier.com/

Here's the photoshoots in progress on my guitar.

http://www.jchluthier.com/no_frills_bd_model.htm

WTVintage
December 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
STRANGE body, but It is a bit strange, Still I like it, How did you finished it? With Nitrocellous laque? (Sorry for name or Spealing) I am not English speaker ;)
I apologise!

kiteman
December 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM
It's finished with wipe-on poly and polished. This body is one of the luthier's designs. It will be shipped after Xmas. Here's the pic of the guitar in the case.

WTVintage
December 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Its very good the finishing, It would be more amazing with inlays like Santana PRS or your's design.

kiteman
December 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
At least I have a chronos inlay in abalone on the headstock. :)

I prefer dots on the fretboard but yea, it would be really wicked to have fancy inlays but it'll be too distracting for me.