PDA

View Full Version : happy hannukah!

pie_man_25
December 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I heard today was the fourht or fifth day of hannukah, and I would like to say happy hannukah to our jewish fretters out there! may your hannukah be filled with joy and closeness to your God!:D , an oh yeah, guitars:rockon:

R_of_G
December 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I heard today was the fourht or fifth day of hannukah, and I would like to say happy hannukah to our jewish fretters out there! may your hannukah be filled with joy and closeness to your God!:D , an oh yeah, guitars:rockon:

thank you pie, and best wishes to you this season whatever it is you believe!

Algonquin
December 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
OK... Some of you saw this one coming.

Vrd9p47MPHg

Happy Chanukah

Brian Krashpad
December 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Well said Pie Man!

Le chaim! Mazeltov!

(Sorry about the spelling.)

aeolian
December 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you. I'm not Jewish but I married a Jewish woman, so we do celebrate Hanukkah.

just strum
December 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Happy Hanukkah

and a Happy Festivus to all, a holiday we can all enjoy as one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Get the censor button ready, the "Airing of Grievances" is approaching.

wingsdad
December 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Continuing the current trend of large-scale mergers and acquisitions, it was announced today at a press conference that Christmas and Chanukah will merge.

An industry source said that the deal had been in the works for about 1300 years, ever since the rise of the Muslim Empire.

While details were not available at press time, it is believed that the cost of "Twelve Days of Christmas" and "Eight Days of Chanukah" was becoming prohibitive for both sides. By combining forces, the world will be able to enjoy consistently high-quality service during the "Fifteen Days of
Christmukah,", as the new holiday will be called.

Massive layoffs are expected, with lords a-leaping and maids a-milking being the hardest hit. As part of the conditions of the agreement, the letters on the dreidel, currently in Hebrew, will be replaced by Latin, thus becoming unintelligible to a wider audience.

In addition, instead of translating to "A great miracle happened there," the message on the dreidel will be the more generic "Miraculous stuff happens." In exchange, it is believed that Jews will be allowed to use Santa Claus and his vast merchandising resources for buying and delivering their gifts.

One of the sticking points holding up the agreement for at least three hundred years was the question of whether Jewish children could leave milk and cookies for Santa even after having eaten meat for dinner. A breakthrough came last year, when Oreos were declared to be Kosher.

A spokesman for Christmas, Inc. declined to say whether a takeover of Kwanzaa might not be in the works as well. He merely pointed out that, were it not for the independent existence of Kwanzaa, the merger between Christmas and Chanukah might indeed be seen as an unfair cornering of the holiday market. Fortunately, for all concerned, Kwanzaa will help to maintain the competitive balance.

The press conference was closed with rousing renditions of "Oy, Come All Ye Faithful" and “Oyvay, Ye Merry Gentlemen.”

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Nice thought PieMan! Best wishes to all of our Jewish friends!

pie_man_25
December 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
thank you pie, and best wishes to you this season whatever it is you believe!

thank you R_of_G, I personally, am atheist and celebrate Winter solstice(the first actual day of winter) on the 22nd of december.

edit: I was kinda worried somebody would get upset about this thread because it is kind of about religion, but I was pleasantly surprised about this feed back, thank you.
also: I didn't know festivus was a REAL holiday!

oldguy
December 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Continuing the current trend of large-scale mergers and acquisitions, it was announced today at a press conference that Christmas and Chanukah will merge.

An industry source said that the deal had been in the works for about 1300 years, ever since the rise of the Muslim Empire.

While details were not available at press time, it is believed that the cost of "Twelve Days of Christmas" and "Eight Days of Chanukah" was becoming prohibitive for both sides. By combining forces, the world will be able to enjoy consistently high-quality service during the "Fifteen Days of
Christmukah,", as the new holiday will be called.

Massive layoffs are expected, with lords a-leaping and maids a-milking being the hardest hit. As part of the conditions of the agreement, the letters on the dreidel, currently in Hebrew, will be replaced by Latin, thus becoming unintelligible to a wider audience.

In addition, instead of translating to "A great miracle happened there," the message on the dreidel will be the more generic "Miraculous stuff happens." In exchange, it is believed that Jews will be allowed to use Santa Claus and his vast merchandising resources for buying and delivering their gifts.

One of the sticking points holding up the agreement for at least three hundred years was the question of whether Jewish children could leave milk and cookies for Santa even after having eaten meat for dinner. A breakthrough came last year, when Oreos were declared to be Kosher.

A spokesman for Christmas, Inc. declined to say whether a takeover of Kwanzaa might not be in the works as well. He merely pointed out that, were it not for the independent existence of Kwanzaa, the merger between Christmas and Chanukah might indeed be seen as an unfair cornering of the holiday market. Fortunately, for all concerned, Kwanzaa will help to maintain the competitive balance.

The press conference was closed with rousing renditions of "Oy, Come All Ye Faithful" and “Oyvay, Ye Merry Gentlemen.”

:rotflmao:
Loved it!
:beer:

just strum
December 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
also: I didn't know festivus was a REAL holiday!

I guess it got a big boost from Seinfeld - I just can't figure out what day or days to take off from work. I still have to put up my Festivus pole.

Adrian30
December 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Happy Hannukah and the upcoming holidays including Festivus, to all.

Brian Krashpad
December 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Happy Hannukah and the upcoming holidays including Festivus, to all.

God bless us, every one.

wingsdad
December 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
:rotflmao:
Loved it!
:beer:
Won't take total credit for it. Working for a newspaper, it came in as a spoof press release 6 or 7 years ago. I did edit it a little.

oldguy
December 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Won't take total credit for it. Working for a newspaper, it came in as a spoof press release 6 or 7 years ago. I did edit it a little.

Wherever it originated, thanks for sharing... LMAO at that one!!!:rotflmao:

pie_man_25
December 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thank you. I'm not Jewish but I married a Jewish woman, so we do celebrate Hanukkah.

hey, just a quick question on the kosher stuff, but if you're jewish, I know you can't eat pork, but is it kosher to kiss someone who has? or what about drunk milk and eaten bacon at the same time? are their mouths clean?

R_of_G
December 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
hey, just a quick question on the kosher stuff, but if you're jewish, I know you can't eat pork, but is it kosher to kiss someone who has? or what about drunk milk and eaten bacon at the same time? are their mouths clean?

technically speaking i would say no, but i don't think any but the most orthodox would actually follow that.

pie_man_25
December 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
technically speaking i would say no, but i don't think any but the most orthodox would actually follow that.

well, thank you for answering my question, and I hope I haven't offended you in any way, although I don't see why I would have.

R_of_G
December 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
well, thank you for answering my question, and I hope I haven't offended you in any way, although I don't see why I would have.

not at all pie, not at all. asking questions is one of the best ways to learn things and nobody should ever be offended by an honest question. :AOK:

Bloozcat
December 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM

It can get a little complicated....

A lot of that has to do with whether a Jew is Orthodox, Conservative, or Reformed (liberal/progressive). There's also a much smaller sect called reconstructionist, but they're small in number.

An Orthodox Jew believes generally in strict adherence to the laws. A Conservative Jew believes that the laws are subject to change with the times, and a Reformed Jew believes that they are free to pick and choose the the laws, traditions and customs they wish to adhere to.

Even within Orthodox Judaism there are some distinctions. They all pretty much follow the commandments of Shabbat observance (keeping kosher, family purity, etc), but there are differences of opinion regarding Jewish law (social, gender roles, etc).

There are two couples who are our best friends. With one couple, both are Jewish and somewhere between Conservative and Reformed. With the other couple, she is not Jewish, while he is. But in his case, Judaism is more hereditary than religious. He's really a non practicing Jew. My wife and I are Christians.

As you might imagine, we've had many interesting discussions about religion. Always good, always respectful, and always educational.

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
God bless us, every one.

....as Brian Krashpad observed. :)