PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Point

just strum
December 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I am being inundated with guitar catalogs and in the words of Popeye "That's alls I can stands, and I can't stands no more." - I'm headed to the music store!!!

jasongins
December 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
This is definitely a sickness. I think I've checked the Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" every day without fail for over a year now.

M29
December 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Man I am maxed! I cannot buy any more. Nothing left to do now but play play play...:messedup:

M29

just strum
December 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Well, I was about to head out, but there was a roadblock at the door (AKA: the wife).

So I decided to go to the website of the store I was planning on visiting and came across this oddity that a couple of folks at the "W" use to own (I believe as their first guitar).

Scroll through the whole page, but it's the last one that I am referring to - anyone ever own one?

http://www.woodsys.com/coolguitars.html

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I think I've checked the Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" every day without fail for over a year now.
Hehe! Me, too, bro'! Too bad that it's pretty much worthless crap 90% of the time. But there's a gem in there occasionally....

....I'm headed to the music store!!!
I had that bug hit me lunch time at work a couple of days ago, so no wife to stop me from going!

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that my 30W Peavey Delta Blues is just too much amp for how I play (i.e. at home, in a small room known locally here as "Dad's cave"), so I'm seriously looking at a smaller tube amp. Checked out a Fender Blues Junior and a Vox AC15 Custom Classic at my local GC. Both have a Volume/Master set-up, so that you can crank up the front-end for some distortion while keeping the output volume reasonable. I liked 'em both, but with the Fender at $449 vs. $600 for the Vox, it was no contest for me. So I've started keeping an eye on the eBay auctions for a good deal on a used Blues Junior. We'll see what pans out. People who own these little amps seem to just love 'em. Quite the little tone machines!

pie_man_25
December 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
WOW, although I can't say I'm any better, but I guess I really don't want anything at this point, other than the bass I'm building, why would I want anything more?

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
....why would I want anything more?
Ah, yes, the innocence of youth!! Bless you, my son.... :D

just strum
December 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ah, yes, the innocence of youth!! Bless you, my son.... :D

:rotflmao:

It's only a matter of time and he will be like us and maybe even enrolled in GASA (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome Anonymous).

luvmyshiner
December 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
It's only a matter of time and he will be like us and maybe even enrolled in GASA (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome Anonymous).

Hi, my name's Shiner, and I'm a gassaholic.:messedup:

Fortunately I've discovered that if I drink a lot, it helps with guitar addiction.:beer:

just strum
December 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, my wife went to work and like a kid sneaking out the bedroom window, I hightailed a$$ to the GAS station (http://www.woodsys.com/)

I walked in and started looking at all the Strats, playing some and admiring others. By this time the GAS was almost overpowering where I was ready to scream out "I'LL TAKE EM ALL", but common sense and lack of money preventing me from doing that.

The whole time I'm looking at the Strats, there was something behind me that kept distracting me, but not enough to turn around right away. Finally I turn and what is staring at me, but this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/GretschNashWest.jpg

and this

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Gretsch6120.jpg

I knew these were way out of my price range ($2700+) so I went back to the Strats. Finally I strike up conversation with one of the salesman. I told him I had a Washburn Jumbo in the car that was like new with hardshell case. He asked me to bring it in so we could work out a deal. So he under-prices it by $200 and we haggle.

So in the end I walked out with a brand new pack of EJ16 strings - I guess I will be building a guitar piece by piece.

And the GAS remains. Time to go play.