PDA

View Full Version : Behringer VD1 (Vintage Distorsion)

SuperSwede
December 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/fit,330by330/VD1_big-bdd60ad077f6fbfe5abffdd11d998df7.jpg

I bought a Behringer VD-1 "Vintage Distorsion" today.. I thought that I needed something fun to do after three long days at the police station..

Vintage Distorsion, sounds great doesnt it?

...Well, let me tell you that it does not.. it hums like hell with my 9v adapter (which works great with all my other 9V gear).. It works pretty good with a battery though.

"The warm and emotive tone that has ruled rock for the last 30 years" says Behringer...

SuperSwede says, "The crappiest fuzz tones I´ve heard, its only possible to get a really useful tone by setting the sustain to max. Useful, not great.

SO to sum this up: Do not buy.

Algonquin
December 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/fit,330by330/VD1_big-bdd60ad077f6fbfe5abffdd11d998df7.jpg

I bought a Behringer VD-1 "Vintage Distorsion" today.. I thought that I needed something fun to do after three long days at the police station..

SuperSwede says, "The crappiest fuzz tones I´ve heard, its only possible to get a really useful tone by setting the sustain to max. Useful, not great.

SO to sum this up: Do not buy.

A valuable PSA from your Friendly Neighborhood SuperSwede!

Any chance of shipping it back SS?

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear that this one was a stinker. I guess that with as many pedals as Behringer has cranked out lately, there are bound to be some turkeys in there....

SuperSwede
December 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Well, I played around with it tonight and I found out that it works better with single coils. With HB´s everything sounds pretty much like "Santana´s got a brand new Big Muff", using single coils clears it up somewhat, especially with the brighter neck SC.
It seems like not all amps like this pedal, I have had better results with Fender style amp settings (through the XT) than the usual boutique suspects.

I got to the music store 5 minutes before closing time, so I just took a pedal from the "behringer bin" that I thought looked cool. Its an hour drive from here, so chances are that it will cost more in gas & parking meter money than I would get back. So I guess that its a keeper after all. Its not THAT bad when used as a booster to get those screaming solos started, its just not what I thought that it should be... it has some kind of "true bypass" so it doesnt eat signal.

SuperSwede
December 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Here is a review of the VD1, it pretty much sounds the same here. So no chance that I got a lemon :D

xLj8bCWwm3w

Spudman
December 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM
.. I thought that I needed something fun to do after three long days at the police station..

Huh? Not again? :poke: Take a cab home from the pub next time.

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Swede, that vid clip was for the EH Big Muff. I think you meant to link this one:

MUj6873ryig

marnold
December 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
A Big Muff is about as subtle as a punch in the face. I wish in the Muff video he had used a noise gate or turned back his volume knob when he stopped playing. It was nice to listen to the Behringer one back-to-back with the Muff it clearly copies. It only sounds tangentally like a Muff.

It's always hard to tell through a compressed YouTube video, but it seems that my EX-7's Muff model is quite accurate. I was wondering what was up with that model since the "sustain" control seemed to have surprisingly little impact on the overall tone. After hearing several real Muff clips, that's apparently the way it's supposed to be.

The Gear Wire reviews can be handy, I just wish they didn't waste 1/3 of the video taking it out of the box and describing the contents therein.

Adrian30
December 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I am suspecting their VT999 and VT911 are going to be on the harsh side.

SuperSwede
December 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Huh? Not again? :poke: Take a cab home from the pub next time.

Yes Sire, I will do that.. but at least I got free coffee since I work on the station :D

DVM, "doh" I must have copied the wrong youtube link, thanks for posting the right one! :)