PDA

View Full Version : Proud father story

helliott
December 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
If you've got a few minutes you might enjoy this true story.
Last night, Saturday, Dec. 8, my son, me and two mates participated in a battle of the bands. The contestants were all from or affiliated with one media outlet or another, from Toronto and Hamilton (they're not far apart).
We decided to do this a few months ago. We recruited a friend of my son's, whose also 18, and a great drummer. To round things out I enlisted my dear friend, colleague and long-time bass playing comrade. We gave our foursome a name and picked a half dozen songs or so, then set about jamming weekly practices into already hectic schedules.
In the end, we settled on four songs, with a fifth if we were fortunate enough to be crowned. We opened with Statesboro Blues, with a nifty drum and shot segue into Because I Used to Love Her (but it's all over now). The opening twopack was followed by Sultans of Swing, and we closed with our unique version of Can't Always Get What You Want (nothing like the original, more like RHCP meets Arrowsmith covering The Stones). We had to settle for me singing the first three and our bass player doing the finale. So we toiled week after week, getting better bit by bit, and wrapped up with a short run through the Thursday before the gig.
Now, my kid's rather ecclectic. As well as being a pretty good player, he's a solid basketball player, and we didn't know originally that he had a high-level tournament that same weekend. So he started the tournament with a bruising game Friday night, and another Saturday afternoon. During the afternoon game, he took a hard knee to the thigh, resulting in a dandy charlie horse, as well as a couple of elbows to the head at various points. Earlier he'd managed to jam a string between nail and middle finger on his left hand (fretting hand), causing a nasty separation beneath the nail. You all know what that's like -- he referred to it as being rather amazingly painful. Then he had yet another tough game at 7 that night, and we rushed from the game for a quick shower and to the gig.
The venue was spectacular -- a reconditioned theatre seating 250-300 with amazing acoustics, high ceiling, top drawer mixing and lighting staff, stage manager, lovely robust bank of monitors on the stage front. The result, as we found at soundcheck during the day, was stage sound as comfortable as our living room and great sound in the theatre. It's been years since I've played a venue as nice as this one, and I'd forgotten how nice it is, as well as that weird feeling of being on a well-lit stage but only seeing the audience in sillhouette in the dark house.
There were top-notch bands on before us, and we took the stage to close the night. We felt reasonably confident, but also suitably anxious given a/Neither my buddy or me are natural singers, b/we were playing some tough stuff, especially Sultans, with my kid doing the leads and fills and me on rhythm and croaking out vocals. All during practice and on his own time, he'd been working on those solos, sometimes nailing them, sometimes messing up. He wanted to get as close to the original as possible, but lend his own feel. His only concession was to use his Tube Screamer to give a bit of cover -- not a lot.
Well, you've probably guessed by now, he nailed it. No, actually, he killed that song. Never played it better -- got the nuances, phrasing, most of the tone and added his own energy and flow. As soon as he did the second or third fill, I could tell he was rolling, busted up finger and all. As I stood by him for the final solo, and he flowed like butter into the last hyper-speed passages, the audience let out a spontaneous round of cheering that could be heard clearly on the stage. His only reaction was a little smile in one corner of his mouth as he tore through the remainder and we faded to the ending.
Fortunately, I wasn't wearing a vest, otherwise the popping buttons probably would have hurt someone in the audience.
Well, we didn't win, a sort of folk band did. But the performance was great, and we got many accolades, especially for the kid. We got home and loaded out, bedding down with that warm buzz you get after a really good show.
Of course, there was another basketball game the next morning at 10, and in the course of it, he took an errant rifle pass off the tip of guess-which finger? I remarked later, in a failed attempt at gruff father, just be thankful it happened today instead of Saturday.
The end.

Algonquin
December 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
That's a great story Helliot!

I hope I'm fortunate enough to do something like that one day.

Awesome :AOK:

David

Brian Krashpad
December 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Excellent, I love gig reports and proud father stories, so this was a double whammy! Congrats.

Pics?

just strum
December 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
helliott,

Great story to read at the close of the weekend. Sounds like you had a blast - both you and your son should be proud!!!

duhvoodooman
December 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Very cool!! :Dude: You are justifiably proud!!

oldguy
December 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That's great. Congrats on the good time you had, and you are rightfully proud of your son. Nice story, enjoyed it bunches.:beer:

helliott
December 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I was too dumb to record anything. But his girlfriend was there and recorded something on her camera -- hear it's pretty tinny but will post if it's legible at all. Yeah, forgot to mention that, the girl he worships was there with her friends to witness his smashing performance. How cool is that?

mrmudcat
December 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
:R :rockon: I agree ,great read for a sunday night!!!:AOK:
Dad/Son

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Excellent, I love gig reports and proud father stories, so this was a double whammy! Congrats.

My thoughts exactly! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story.

Jimi75
December 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Oh what a proud father you can be! Excellent story. I look forwardt to experiencing such moments with my two kids too one day they are old enough.

:rockon:

R_of_G
December 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I am having my first child in June, and I hope to have this kind of relationship. Thanks for sharing such a great story!:Dude:

SuperSwede
December 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us Helliot! I hope to experience something like that too! :)

helliott
December 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks, folks. It's amazing how many musicians can really relate to the experience. Left this out of the original post, but will add it now -- a number of other "seasoned" players came up to me after the show to note how proud I must have been to see my kid play so well and then actually be there playing by his side, to boot. I Just wanted to be there if he stumbled, and very happy for him the result was anything but that.
One of the other vets told me that when he heard and saw the applause during the sizzling solo, he got a big grin on his face, because he knew exactly what Eric would be feeling at that moment. We do it because we love it, and have no real choice, through thick and thin. But it sure elevates things when you get a high point like that one, for the kid, and for dad, too.
Thanks for reading.

aeolian
December 10th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I am glad you have that moment with your son, that must do both of you proud. My children are old enough to be playing guitar now, but neither one has shown an interest in the instrument yet. I sure hope that does come some time.

luvmyshiner
December 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM
What a great story helliott! Congrats to the proud Papa.

just strum
December 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I am glad you have that moment with your son, that must do both of you proud. My children are old enough to be playing guitar now, but neither one has shown an interest in the instrument yet. I sure hope that does come some time.

Same with mine. My son played trombone for four years in band and has taken a few music appreciation classes in HS and continues that in college. My daughter is a sophomore in HS and has a love for photography. I would love for one or both to take an interest, but I want it to be their desire. The equipment awaits them should they ever get the urge.

Guitar Gal
December 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Great story Helliott :beer:

A wonderful experience that I'm sure the two of you will remember and speak of often :R :rockon: Nothing brings people together like music :D

Thanks for sharing!

GG

Bloozcat
December 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
How cool is that?

What a great thing to be able to share with your son. That's a memory that'll bind you together for a lifetime.