PDA

View Full Version : Fender American Vintage '62 Telecaster

Algonquin
December 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evening Folks, has anyone here had a look at one of these?

Fender American Vintage Series '62 Custom Telecaster
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-62-Custom-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510481

There's a guitar shop I frequently browse online that has one of these listed in their used section. It's in near-new condition, and has been modified with a SD '59 in the neck. I don't expect this guitar to last long enough for me to A, scrape up the funds, or B, convince the wife. I definately like the idea of the Tele SH configuration, so this one has been teasing me all weekend!

Has anyone here tried one, seen one, dreamt of one... (hated one :eek: )

I'm hoping to get down this week and have a looksy first hand. The shop is a bit on the high end, but there are some nice knowleable folks there. They aren't giving this guitar away by any stretch, but I feel it's probably priced accordingly from what they go for new.

If anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.

Much appreciated.
:beer:

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Haven't played the AVRI '62 but I have the '52 and it's a very well-built guitar. Obviously they're very different, the '52 has the odd 50's wiring scheme and a maple neck. But I would expect the '62 to be of very high quality.

Good luck!

(PS-- I got the '52 for a song from a friend who wasn't playing his, and sold it just so it'd get played.)
PPS-- Teles with a neckbucker are great, I have a couple of those as well!

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hey Bri... I'm a huge fan of the looks of the Butterscotch '52 you're sporting!

Here's a pic of the one that's causing me grief right now...:rolleyes: Looks pretty darn good to me.

http://www.12fret.com/used/FenderTeleCust530.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Haven't played the AVRI '62 but I have the '52 and it's a very well-built guitar. Obviously they're very different, the '52 has the odd 50's wiring scheme and a maple neck. But I would expect the '62 to be of very high quality.

Good luck!

(PS-- I got the '52 for a song from a friend who wasn't playing his, and sold it just so it'd get played.)
PPS-- Teles with a neckbucker are great, I have a couple of those as well!

Springsteen donated a signed one of those '52's (street retail $1250 to $1350 or so?) for a benefit for his local ski instructor here. I got to check it out at the auction. (Bruce was not there.) It was a NICE feeling guitar, and I would like a blonde tele someday. Probably some squire or mexi version or a knock off. I am a bit jealous here Brian! :poke:

Sorry, I am realizing this is a '62 thread. It looks very nice, but I personally like the maple neck. Also, the '52 is ash bodied rather than alder, so I would guess lighter. (Spud turned me on to the ash thing just today, but I remember being surprised how light the '52 felt for a tele). I like things from '62, as that is the year of my birth, plus, it seems a good year for classic design. Alfa Spiders, Ray Bans, they were all good that year. I am sure there is more. Chris Craft boats maybe, hmm.

I would say you have to go to the store and check 'em out!

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Chris Craft Boats?... Thanks alot Steve!
Now you've got me wanting a new watercraft! :thwap:

Maybe it's time to upgrade my 16 foot aluminum Mirrorcraft. :AOK:

Ain't buyin stuff fun!

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Chris Craft Boats?... Thanks alot Steve!
Now you've got me wanting a new watercraft! :thwap:

Maybe it's time to upgrade my 16 foot aluminum Mirrorcraft. :AOK:

Ain't buyin stuff fun!

Hah! I just dropped a bunch tonight on nice merlino wool ski socks, some Smith sunglasses and a helmet and some nice merlino wool underwear and some Scott ski poles at the local pro night tonight. Great deals, and I got some Christmas and B-day shopping done for some family, but it does add up. . . . But is is fun!

Given where you live and what you have told us you like to do, I bet you can appreciate a nice wooden boat. I like to look at them but would never own one. Too much work. But classic design! Do you paddle one of those beautiful wooden retro canoes, or do you stay more utilitarian and practical? If you are lake camping, I bet practical. ;)

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hey Bri... I'm a huge fan of the looks of the Butterscotch '52 you're sporting!

Here's a pic of the one that's causing me grief right now...:rolleyes: Looks pretty darn good to me.

http://www.12fret.com/used/FenderTeleCust530.jpg

Wow, that looks great! I've never had a double-bound Tele and have always liked the looks of them.

It reminds me of a nicer version of my Tex-Mex, but with the double binding:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/TexMesSmaller.jpg

Good luck on your quest!