PDA

View Full Version : Fingerpicking vs. Picking, shred-wise

.overdrive_rewind
December 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Now, in this case, the standard is obviously shredding with a pick. However, looking at players like Jeff Beck and Monte Montgomery (I posted a thread about him elsewhere in this section), it actually seems as if fingerpicking may allow better speed and arpeggiation. (Is that a real word?)

Anyway, thoughts?

hubberjub
December 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't call Jeff Beck or Monte Montgomery shredders. When I think of shred I think of more metal or hard rock influenced guitarists. But I would have to say that the roots of shredding lie in classical guitar which is a finger style. The only finger style shredder I can think of is The Great Kat. She came out in the late 80's or early 90's. I'm sure there are more than just her.

Big_Rob
December 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I find that the heavier the pick the better the shred. In almost 3 years, I have gone from using the red .50mm (uuugh, how could I have ever used them?) torex picks to the orange .60mm, then to the green .88mm, and finally settling on the purple 1.14mm tortex picks.

BTW, The Great Kat has smoking guitar skills. I wish I could see what she really looks like without all that makeup on her face because shes way hawt.

She was classically trained on the violin at Juilliard so she knows her stuff on music. Now with that said, I cant see her fingerpicking 100% of the time, too much pick raking going on with her arpeggios.

.overdrive_rewind
December 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
But you can't deny that the two guitarists I mentioned have some amazing chops, along with some really speedy lines tossed in there.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM
No, they are both very good players. Jeff Beck is one of the most influential rock guitarist around. He deserves more credit than he gets. Monte seems like a good player as well. I wasn't putting them down, they just aren't shredders. That's not a bad thing. A lot of shredders are guilty of putting technique ahead of good songwriting. Both of the guys you mentioned are more into playing to the song rather than having the song revolve around what they are playing. That's a technique that can't just be learned. I spent six years in college studying classical guitar and either of those guys could play circles around me.

sunvalleylaw
December 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I know it is not shred, but for an amazing finger picked solo, Knoppfler on Sultans of Swing comes to mind. Helliot's post about his son brought it to mind.

snarph
December 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
This is an example of some serious finger picking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ces_8IS5Giw&feature=related

May not be shread but it aint bad

snarph
December 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
And there is always Freddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLmZCZ1sXY&feature=related

Also not a shredder

TS808
December 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I know it is not shred, but for an amazing finger picked solo, Knoppfler on Sultans of Swing comes to mind. Helliot's post about his son brought it to mind.

Mark Knopfler is one of the best finger pickers out there in my opinion, and probably one of the most under-rated guitarists out there too. Again, just my opinion. Two other finger pickers out there with amazing chops are Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II. Bramhall may not be a "shredder", but he has some serious chops.

I think though that if you want to do some serious shredding, I agree with one of the previous posts....a thicker pick is the way to go.

Big_Rob
December 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I think though that if you want to do some serious shredding, I agree with one of the previous posts....a thicker pick is the way to go.

Yup, thicker picks = great pick control

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yup, thicker picks = great pick control
Not that I shred, but I have been using the green .88 Tortex, from a 12 pack I bought last time I was at GC, but like a purple tortex 1.14 that my son has from somewhere. I also like the Fender heavy tort ones.

Big_Rob
December 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Not that I shred, but I have been using the green .88 Tortex, from a 12 pack I bought last time I was at GC, but like a purple tortex 1.14 that my son has from somewhere. I also like the Fender heavy tort ones.

I like the 1.14mm for all guitar playing. IMO it has made me a better player because I can control the pick so much better

pes_laul
December 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Big_Rob]I gonefrom using the red .50mm (uuugh, how could I have ever used them?)

really that's the picks I've always used (though orange or green on acoustic)

Big_Rob
December 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
really that's the picks I've always used (though orange or green on acoustic)

I cant even use them anymore. If Im playing a strumming intensive song I'll use a green one. But even for that I've found myself using the heavier pick more and more.

hubberjub
December 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I use the 3mm Dunlop Jazz Stubby. There is no give in the pick. The tip wears out pretty quick though.

.overdrive_rewind
December 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
3.0 mm? Ouch. :P