PDA

View Full Version : Fusion lick - a la Robert Renman

Robert
December 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Here's one for those of you who have been asking me for my signature licks! :Dude:
It's not a very simple lick this time. You can see from this video how I apply a lot of pull-off and hammer-ons; it's not alternative picking the whole way.

This idea is played over an E7 funk vamp. It's an "outside" lick, meaning there are a few notes that don't really relate to any particular scale. I think it sounds pretty cool. This lick is inspired by players like Robben Ford and Scott Henderson.

The lick kind of starts off with a rockabilly-style start, then goes into an outside jazz idea, which moves into a diminished triad, then ends with a blues phrase. How's that for a combination of styles? :rotflmao:

How do you like it? Oh, and the buzzing are my Fuzz and Distortion pedals together - gain over the top, baby. :rockon:

Guitar Pro file available here. (http://www.box.net/shared/static/read5h0stc.gp5)

Tab:

E||--------12-15-16-12-14----------------------------|
B||--12-14----------------15-14-13-17----------------|
G||-----------------------------------15-14-13-------|
D||--------------------------------------------14----|
A||-----------------------------------------------16-|
E||--------------------------------------------------|

----------------------------||
--12----14-16-12b-----------||
-------------------14-14----||

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Wow, that was pretty cool! I like the combination of styles very much.

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Got it. Way cool. Thanks.:master:

Jimi75
December 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
How I like it?

Are you kiddin' me? Robert that is a mega cool lick!

Greetz
Jimi

:master:

Robert
December 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Glad you like it guys! I hope it will be useful for someone.

Playing "outside" notes, is fun, yes?

Guitar Gal
December 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Very nice signature lick Robert :rockon: I liked it a lot :D

GG

fendermojoman
December 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Oh Robert -
you're such a showman!!! Hey! How did the run go in Vegas?:D

(cool & unusual lick);)

Bob D/Nashvile

Robert
December 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks!

Vegas was great! See my blog post with pictures of me in Santa outfit and my wife dressed up as Elvis, wearing a full-size picture of my guitar!
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/las-vegas-marathon-2007.php

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Rob... I'm actually pretty fond of the licks in the first post of your newest Strat, when it still had the rosewood neck on it.

It's great to be able to watch and listen to the cool riffs and learn from them.

:beer:

aeolian
December 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cool! Now if I can only learn it so I can play it half as good as you can.

Robert
December 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Rob... I'm actually pretty fond of the licks in the first post of your newest Strat, when it still had the rosewood neck on it.

It's great to be able to watch and listen to the cool riffs and learn from them.

Great! Can you post the link to that video? I can't remember which one was the first...

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cool lick but not easy for these old pentatonically-ingrained fingers!! Will take some serious practice to get up to full speed on that one, oh Shredmeister! :master:

Robert
December 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hehe, glad you like it though! :) When I play, I try to make use of all my knowledge in order to come up with something interesting. Of course, I often fail anyway...:rotflmao: but I keep trying.

The lick is quite "non-standard". If you analyze it from a music theory perspective, you'll see the diminished scale, chromatic scale, blues scale, pentatonic scale.. etc. In other words, just play it and don't think too much! :D

Radioboy950
December 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think I just found a new quote for my sig...:D

just play it and don't think too much! :D

Seriously though, it's a challenging fun lick. I fiddled around with it for about 30 minutes this morning, and still can't play it with speed. I love to practice new and different things that force you to workout outside the box.

Algonquin
December 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Great! Can you post the link to that video? I can't remember which one was the first...

Ooops.. found it, but it wasn't the first DPS post, but it was a good one.

_5FsEUOcg3A

tjcurtin1
December 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Oooh, oooh! Here's my opportunity to put in another plug for a lesson around the beautiful bit in that first 'my blue guitar' video, the John Hyatt tune. I just love the sound that you have there, Robert, and the way that you coax it out of the strings... I was just trying to wrestle with it again yesterday, without much success....

Robert
December 13th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do. What lick from that video are interesting, Algonquin?