PDA

View Full Version : Finding The Right Note Blues

warren0728
March 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM
OK....here is my first recording attempt and man is it a humbling experience!

I used roberts "blues in e" backing track and i think the name of the song says it all! I did have fun doing this and i am definately going to keep trying.

used my new tele straight into the vox ad30vt (AC30TB) and into my computer with no effects, plugins, etc. (i'll work on that stuff later)

http://www.warrenworld.com/music/finding_the_right_note_blues.mp3

ww

Tim
March 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
All right man! That was awesome Warren. Not shabby by any point. Try doing your slide on top of what you already recorded. That should be interesting to hear.

Keep up the good work. Next time we meet, we should have one heck of a jam session.

warren0728
March 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM
thanks tim...

ww

Guitar-Chris
March 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Well done and now the ice is broken. All engines runnin' for the next take.

Once you had the courage to post your first tune, next will be easier. Did you experience this: Everything works fine and is easy, but when the record buttun is hit, you can't play as normals as you used to? This is my experience and you can fight it only by recording more and more often.

Tim
March 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
GC – Actually my pre-recording sounds the same as the recording itself. I do not get tense or freeze-up when recording. I am seem missing something somewhere. Some of the notes just do not sound good in some places while playing the blues box pattern #1. I have moved a little forward in my knowledge by adding the “blue note”. This does help, but some other notes just don’t sound like they fit on top of a I-VI-V chord pattern..

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
An admirable first outing, Warren. Yes, I've found it humbling, too. I wince when I listen to some of my poorly-executed licks. But it's like riding a bike--if you fall off, you have to get right back on.

Did you experience this: Everything works fine and is easy, but when the record buttun is hit, you can't play as normals as you used to? This is my experience and you can fight it only by recording more and more often.
Yes, I find that, too. Hopefully, familiarity & experience doing it will help, as you suggest. I only started recording last week, so it's ALL new to me right now! :eek:

Nelskie
March 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
ww - Brother, you are doin' it! Nice work for your first-ever shot at recording. Here's another idea that may add a little flavor to your tracks: use your pick-up selector switch to change the tone during the song transitions. You can go from a bright bridge tone like you were already using, to the warmer-sounding neck p'up. Even if you're playing the same scale, it will sound different. I like to do this when I play blues stuff, as it adds dimension, and variety to the overall feel of the song. I also like to vary my picking / chording patterns to create different textures. Anyways - just some stuff to think about.

warren0728
March 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Did you experience this: Everything works fine and is easy, but when the record buttun is hit, you can't play as normals as you used to?
absolutely...especially on my slide recording of Amazing Grace (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=507)
that's the first song i learned on slide and play it without even thinking about but as soon as i tried to record myself playing i hit wrong strings and stuff (and i was alone in the house...not like there was a live audience!).

Here's another idea that may add a little flavor to your tracks: use your pick-up selector switch to change the tone during the song transitions. You can go from a bright bridge tone like you were already using, to the warmer-sounding neck p'up. Even if you're playing the same scale, it will sound different. I like to do this when I play blues stuff, as it adds dimension, and variety to the overall feel of the song. I also like to vary my picking / chording patterns to create different textures. Anyways - just some stuff to think about.

yeah i thought i was using the neck pickup for this tune but realize i was using the bridge...i need to experiment with different modeling amps in garage band too....i didn't use any models or anything just straight in from the amp....and it does sound a little harsh.

Of course i need to get more aquainted with the fretboard so i can "use more of it!"

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Cheers Warren ..nice job man , and your right it is a BIG neck, and Nelskies tip about switching pick ups rings true ( pun absolutely intended ) sometimes a little change in tone can spontaneously take you somewhere else musically a neuron fires and next thing you know your smilin and its 3 hours later ...6S9L

Justaguyin_nc
March 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Good Job Warren.. way to go.. Glad you took the plunge.... it's all good!

Robert
March 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Awesome Warren! Keep it up!

Spudman
March 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Charge! Keep on firing Warren. The more you do it the more licks will come and you'll be able to hear what you should have played instead or you'll hear what you really like. It is a great way to improve and to stay motivated.
Very cool dude!