PDA

View Full Version : ValveKing any good?

Radioboy950
December 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Anybody try one of those inexpensive tube combos from Peavey, the “ValveKing”?
Price looks good for the 50-watter, and reviews are generally favorable on the sound.
Peavey says it has 6L6’s, but doesn’t specify the brand. Just wondering what kind of tubes are in there.

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I tried the smallest one and it was punchy but a little boxy sounding. It reminded me of the older Peavey Triumph.

SuperSwede
December 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I see a lot of used valvekings on the local ad sites.. and they dont go for much money either, so I guess (without actually having played on one) that it isnt the best amp you can get for that kind of money... just my 2cents

The "new" bandits is another thing though, I think that they sound and play awesome.. highly recommended!

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If you're looking at inexpensive tube amps and want one that has developed cultlike following for it's tone, take a good look at the Fender Blues Junior. Tone2TheBone and I just each bought one this past weekend. I'm waiting for mine to arrive, but he bought his locally and is already playing it (and rubbing it in on how great it sounds, that ******* ;) ). I played one at my local GC and was very impressed. Not a lot of features, but has that Fender sound and genuine tube tone in spades. They're a great modding platform, too. The downside is that they're only 15W, but then I was looking for a lower powered amp. I didn't crank it up in GC (though I think everybody else did!), but it's a very LOUD 15W, though, from all I've read. If you need more, there's always the Blues Deluxe at 40W. With the popularity of these Fender amps, there are always plenty of them up for sale on eBay at any given time....

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM
At the behest of Mr. Voodoochileman I'll just add that the Fender Blues Jr. amp is a great alternative for someone looking for a new or used amp. The 15 watts is just too much fun and I have already taken those watts and burned them forever into my brain! The BJs sound their best cranked!!! Blows away anything you could want! Ok we'll stop hijacking this thread. ;)

Erm I don't know anything about the Valvekings but the Peavey Classics are good amps too.

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I played one briefly at a Sam Ash and it sounded decent at low volumes but I didn't have a chance to play at band volume where an amp's true character comes out.

Dunno about the tubes.

The older Peavey Classic series seems to get good marks across the board though. I haven't played them but have heard other bands playing them and would buy one without hesitation if I needed another inexpensive tube amp.

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I see a lot of used valvekings on the local ad sites.. and they dont go for much money either, so I guess (without actually having played on one) that it isnt the best amp you can get for that kind of money... just my 2cents

Actually I think that's the dreaded "Peavey Resale Curse" more than anything else. Except for their Van Halen-endorsed stuff Peavey has always had pretty lousy resale value.

For example, used 90's Peavey USA Predators, despite being virtually the same guitar, often go for about half of what a 90's MIM Fender Strat goes for on the used market.

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
....For example, used 90's Peavey USA Predators, despite being virtually the same guitar, often go for about half of what a 90's MIM Fender Strat goes for on the used market.
Brian, were the Predators made for Peavey by Fender or something similar??

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Brian, were the Predators made for Peavey by Fender or something similar??

No they were just a direct Strat clone made by Peavey in the 90's. I owned both a 90's MIM Fender Strat, and subsequently replaced it w/a USA Predator. I say USA because later Predators were marked "International Series" and made elsewhere than the US, those I don't know much about and would eye more suspiciously. But both the Predator (Strat) and Reactor (Tele) made in the US have generally good reputations as bang-for-buck guitars.

In the case of the Strats, I find the 90's USA Peavey preferable to a similar vintage MIM Strat, since then MIM Fenders had 21 frets, Peaveys had 22. Specs otherwise same: poplar body, maple neck, ceramic singles.

Sorry for the slight hijack!

SuperSwede
December 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Actually I think that's the dreaded "Peavey Resale Curse" more than anything else. Except for their Van Halen-endorsed stuff Peavey has always had pretty lousy resale value.

For example, used 90's Peavey USA Predators, despite being virtually the same guitar, often go for about half of what a 90's MIM Fender Strat goes for on the used market.

Could be... I really need to check out this amp, but the fact that people doesnt seem to keep these amp doesnt look like a good sign to me.

t_ross33
December 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Could be... I really need to check out this amp, but the fact that people doesnt seem to keep these amp doesnt look like a good sign to me.

I've always viewed Peavey as workhorse equipment that almost anyone can afford. Nothin' fancy, just good bang for the buck. Depending on where you are with your playing, music career, or financial situation, I think they are a good place to start. Which is why you see a lot of Peavey stuff out in the resell marketplace IMHO.

Trev

duhvoodooman
December 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I've always viewed Peavey as workhorse equipment that almost anyone can afford. Nothin' fancy, just good bang for the buck. Depending on where you are with your playing, music career, or financial situation, I think they are a good place to start. Which is why you see a lot of Peavey stuff out in the resell marketplace IMHO.
+1!! :AOK: Though I've decided to sell my Peavey Delta Blues, it had nothing to do with the amp's tone or features. I thought it was an amazing value for the performance it offered. The Delta Blues is basically the Classic 30 with onboard tremolo and a 15" speaker. Otherwise, the two amps are essentially identical, featurewise....