PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems - car content

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Mrs. Spud has said that her Maxima has been becoming more difficult to start the past few weeks. Today it doesn't turn the motor over at all. Doesn't even try. All I get are clicks that I can hear inside the car.

The past few weeks she has said that when trying to start the car she would hear a grinding noise before the motor would turn over. And gradually it would grind and take longer each time to get the motor to turn over.

Initially because it is so cold here I thought it was the battery. I tried jumping it with another car and the result was still the same - no engine turn over. So I don't feel it is the battery.

Does anyone have an assertion that it is the starter that has gone bad? Has anyone experienced this before?

luvmyshiner
December 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Before you give up on the battery possibility Spud, keep the cables on with the other car running for 10-15 minutes to charge the old battery up before trying to start. Or if you have a battery charger, leave that on 4-6 hours to see what happens. I realize I live in Central Texas where the temperature is currently in the 70's, but I didn't always live here.

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
About 5 years ago, my battery died in the underground parking of my office. I had a friend pull up his car to give it a boost, but nothing. Same as you described... just a bit of clicking. I had to call to get it towed to a local shop.

Turns out that the battery had shorted out, and I just needed a new battery. Not sure why it wouldn't start when being jumped from another vehicle, but it just clicked as you mentioned. I'm not sure if this is the same scenario for you, but maybe trying a new battery might help.

Maybe a Walmart or Costco one that you could return if this fails...

Just a thought, sorry to hear about your troubles.

Good luck.

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Where did you get the battery? We had battery issues that looked like it might be the starter a few weeks ago, and took it to Les Schwab where they checked it out and after initially thinking it was the starter, tested further, determined it was a bad battery under full warranty, and replaced it for free. Might be worth a try if you got it at some sort of service center.

just strum
December 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I just went through this with my sons car. Couldn't get the car started, charged (jumped) it and took the car out for a spin, got a few miles from home and the car stopped running. Had my son bring me another battery from one of the other cars, installed, turned key, started and no problems. The grinding part you noted bothers me and could make the starter suspect, but before I spend money on a starter, pull the battery from your other car (or steal your neighbors when he's sleeping) and just give it a try. If it runs, doesn't grind when starting, then it just needs a new battery.

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Muchos gracias for the tips. I have some work to do tomorrow I see and it's bloody cold out. I don't like to work out in the cold but Mrs. Spud must have her auto. I hope she'll consider taking my lump of coal back to the store and exchange it for something nice.

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Yup, I had similar issues with my Accord. I brought it in & they said the battery was fine.

Then it died again the next day, so I brought back n' sure 'nuff they said it was the battery. Replaced under warrenty & no probs since.

Bloozcat
December 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I haven't worked on cars much lately outside of routine maintenance, brake jobs, and other light repairs. I used to think that working on cars was fun, now it's just a big PITA that keeps me from doing the things I really like to do.
However...

First, I'd have a battery load test done to see if the battery has the necessary amperage to do the job. I suspect that there's more to the problem though, with the grinding noise you described.

The second thing I would look at if the battery checks out ok, is the starter. If the Nissan starter is built like a traditional starter, the grinding sound could be a bad bearing in the armature or the drive pinion that meshes with the ring gear on the flywheel. Or, if the solenoid is shorting out, the pinion gear won't engage the flywheel ring gear, and power the armature to turn the flywheel. Or if it's shorting out intermittingly, it might "catch" occasionally and start the car...but that'll be short lived until the starter dies completely.

All of this is really just an acedemic exercise though. If any of these things are wrong with the starter, you just replace the whole unit and the problem is solved.

Just another suggestion Spudman, maybe a place to start.

Spudman
December 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
It's not the battery. I had it checked at 2 different places today. Both said it was good and had plenty of cranking amps. I brought it home and reinstalled it after cleaning the posts and cables. Same thing - no starty.:mad:

Looks like it's going to be starter surgery after all.:cry:

jasongins
December 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Spud-

The grinding noise upon startup is the clue. That is probably the bendix drive of the starter getting hung up and grinding. If the car won't start at all at this point and all you here is a "click" when you turn the key, or even nothing at all, there is a way to document that it is a bad starter before you spend money or go to the trouble of removing the starter. Rig a test light to the starter. If you turn the key and the light comes on, this means everything else in the starting system is working, current is being delivered to the starter but the starter just isn't doing anything. If you have no light, your problem is elsewhere in the starting system (ignition switch problem, a relay, a break somewhere...)