PDA

View Full Version : Absent Friends....

Algonquin
December 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM
For many of us, this is a time to remember absent friends and relatives.

Tomorrow I'll be attending my Uncle Ron's funereal... this man had no hate in his heart, and will be missed by his family and friends.

I offer up my sincere condolances to those of you who have lost a loved one at this time... Please remember them fondly.

All the best,

David

Spudman
December 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the reminder I had almost forgotten. The two people that raised me both passed at this time of the year. Strange. They weren't even related.

Tell Ron that his kindness was appreciated. The world sure could use more of it too.

Jimi75
December 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Good thread, perfect time to remember.

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, we need more Uncle Rons.

Hopefully his kindness will inspire the next generation.

No better thing than to pass with love.

Our thoughts are with you n' yours.

Bloozcat
December 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM
There are several. The older you get, the more there are. It's just a consequence of living.

Sadly, I will be attending a funeral service tomorrow evening for a 26 year old US Army Captain who was killed in Iraq by an IED this past week. Although I never knew him personally, many of my friends in the community where I work knew him well. My wife was on the Congressional review panel that recommended his appointment to West Point.

So, in this season of joy, a little reminder of how precious and fragile life really is...and a season to give thanks for every day we have.

(Please, no commentary on the war in Iraq...this is about one young man's dedication to his country, and the ultimate price he paid. It's not about politics.)

just strum
December 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
There are several. The older you get, the more there are. It's just a consequence of living.

Also emphasizes the need to love and appreciate everyone around you and take no one for granted.

I've never really experienced what some of you guys described and I hope the best for you and family during these times.

millenium_03
December 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Not just this time of the year... but I remember my dad EVERYDAY !!:(

Brian Krashpad
December 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Mojo to everyone who's been affected by this or something like it. Just a few weeks ago one of our "group" of post-college buddies died unexpectedly in a fall in his home (unfortunately, probably after a night of heavy drinking), and earlier this year another from the same group of friends, the youngest by a goodly number of years, died in a plane crash.

It's made me kinda take stock. I don't leave the house in the morning without kisses from everyone.

Take care fretters.

tunghaichuan
December 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Not just this time of the year... but I remember my dad EVERYDAY !!:(

Amen to that GG. My dad died too young. Although its been over 15 years now, I still miss him and think about him a lot. We had our differences when I was growing up, but I'd give anything to have him back, just the way he was.

I lost my favorite uncle last summer. It wasn't a surprise as he had been having lots of health problems. My uncle Lee didn't know a stranger, and I doubt he had any enemies. I miss him lots too.

tung

pie_man_25
December 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM
yes, I miss my dear uncle, aunt and their eldest daughter who died in an incident four years ago, I can't forget because my accoustic was his.

sunvalleylaw
December 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yes, a good time to remember. Thanks starting this thread of warm thoughts, feelings and prayers.

helliott
December 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Great thread, and food for thought and emotion at this time of year. Prompts me to tell a story about a dear friend, who's no longer here.
I met Ron at a small newspaper in northern Alberta where I was an editor and he a reporter, about 27 years ago. We seemed an odd match, personally and musically. I was a management guy, he a staffer with strong leanings toward the collective side. Yet we hit it off, big time, him a hard-core country player, me a grizzled blues rocker.
Somehow, we picked up guitars together, grabbed up some cheap red wine, and set about playing. He wanted Muleskinner Blues, I wanted Statesboro Blues, he worshipped Merle and Hank, I worshipped Jimi and Duane. And yet, we found ourselves on local cable TV playing tunes such like Hobo's Heaven and Livin on Tulsa Time, which he wanted the country way, and I wanted the Clapton way. We found middle ground.
I stayed the newspaper course, and he moved into public relations, making much more money and achieving much success. He played in a weekend country band and I in a weekend rock band, and in Fort McMurray, both of us had some good times and made some needed extra cash. But we never lost that initial musical connection.
I always admired him in so many ways. He had a gorgeous old Martin and a top-line Tele, and left them sitting out when he had his first child. I, years before becoming a parent, cautioned him about his toddler busting up his top line instruments, and he said something like: These guitars are made for playin and livin, not for hidin.
Eventually, he and his wonderful wife left the boomtown. He moved into academia, getting a PHd in philosophy, continuing to excel in PR and corporate communications, and bringing his zany zen sort of sensibility to the apparent disparate disciplines, all the while playing Merle, Hank and the country classics.
Years later, while we were in touch only via letter, we learned he had cancer. We managed one visit, near the end of his time on this earth. As I was preparing to leave his bedside, he said something like: Say goodbye, my friend, in case we don't see each other again. I said something typically banal, like don't worry we'll see you again. He grasped my wrist and said, no, we need to say goodbye now. And we did.
Many nights, when I sit with a guitar on my lap, I remember my friend. I see us in that corny cable studio, our two acoustics ringing out some Hank classic, him playing pretty country licks and me trying to make my blues rock corners fit in. And it worked.
Sometimes, with bottle of Donini in between us, we'd work songs every which way, and our eyes would lock. And it worked. His death came after we'd already been separated for some time. But I remember him now because he was the kind of guy we need a million more of these days. I miss him.

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Wonderful story Helliott! I miss the fact that I never had the pleasure to meet him.

You were lucky!